Rush Limbaugh Defines A Real Vs A "Phony" Soldier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

And your point? The issue is are they phony, and you said you must support the mission.

Do you read the threads?

don't you get it?

if you like Henry Rollins, then you hate U2, no matter how many records you've bought or concerts you've seen.

sheesh.

diamond said:
...and if you search hard enough you can find a Black Sabbath fan at a U2 show, and if you look even furthur, you might even find a Henry Rollins' fan at a U2 show, well what do ya know, how about that!?

These views our in the minority of the US military.

context ppl, context.

dbs

:banghead:

Bono's shades said:
So when is Rush going to enlist in the military and show all those "phony soldiers" how it's done?

I think enlisting requires one to have a spine, be in shape, and not dependant on drugs... Rush has never had any of these.

Once again pointing out the minority to paint a picture of the left...

Are you in middle school?

Can I now point at Phelps and paint a picture of Christians?

:banghead:
I assumed you were brighter than this, am I wrong?

I wouldn't find it surprising that soldiers would be more likely to support the war in Iraq instead of being opposed to it. For the sake of their own mental health, I imagine most would have to support the war.

Imagine putting your life on the line, watching your buddies die for an effort that you believed was ultimately futile and wrong? I imagine that would definitely be hard to reconcile. I can appreciate soldiers choosing to "support the mission" and I certainly don't hold it against them. That's their job to support the mission--it's one reason why ultimately the military is controlled by civilians in our country.

But that in no way means that a soldier who DOES manage to accept that horrible idea that their mission is futile is a "phony soldier."

I'm literally aghast at the knee-jerk defense of Limbaugh on this thread. The guy is so generally indefensible. Why take your stand on this particular issue?

I can't help wondering of AEON or Diamond has seen "A Few Good Men" and if so what you thought of that film? Perhaps that was one of the Left wing movies AEON was referring to?

AEON said:
Somehow I'm not FEELING supported by those folks. And neither does anyone else I know in the Armed Forces. Maybe they should consider a different way to demonstrate their love for the troops- maybe volunteer for the USO or something like that.
Do you think people opposed to the war don't volunteer with USO? We certainly do, it's not a partisan organization. In my experience most people who've volunteered with them had the same motivation I did, i.e. having had family in the military (or having served themselves), which obviously includes people from both parties.

Do you really see it as an American citizen's duty never to call for an end to a war, no matter how poor the returns on lives lost, no matter how deep the quagmire, no matter how blindly reckless the Administration? I can understand that it's a far better feeling to leave home confident that few will see any of the sacrifices to come as wasted or in vain. But to turn that into some sort of trump card against other citizens' obligations to vote their consciences on the overall results of the war as they best understand them--that to me seems antithetical to democracy.

Last edited:
I think the unofficial slogan for Limbaugh's show is "Are you going to believe me or your lyin' eyes?"

AEON said:

You mean signs like this?

Feel the Love Troops

you know what? i can play that too:

fonda_effigy.jpg

maycocksean said:

But that in no way means that a soldier who DOES manage to accept that horrible idea that their mission is futile is a "phony soldier."

Yes-and I don't understand why some people don't get that :huh: It truly insults the intelligence and humanity of these men AND WOMEN to not allow them that and to insult and degrade them on top of that. And it insults those of us who do understand it to accuse us of not supporting them and caring about them.

yolland said:

Do you think people opposed to the war don't volunteer with USO? We certainly do, it's not a partisan organization. In my experience most people who've volunteered with them had the same motivation I did, i.e. having had family in the military (or having served themselves), which obviously includes people from both parties.

Do you really see it as an American citizen's duty never to call for an end to a war, no matter how poor the returns on lives lost, no matter how deep the quagmire, no matter how blindly reckless the Administration? I can understand that it's a far better feeling to leave home confident that few will see any of the sacrifices to come as wasted or in vain. But to turn that into some sort of trump card against other citizens' obligations to vote their consciences on the overall results of the war as they best understand them--that to me seems antithetical to democracy.

I believe any citizen has the "right" to protest and vote their conscience. However, I think that our best chance in any war (once it is underway) is to have similar public support like World War II.

People have the right to protest, burn the flag, put bumper stickers on their Suburus...yet it is just my wish, a part-time soldier's wish, that these types of things didn't happen.

BTW - thank you and to anyone else serving in the USO.

Irvine511 said:

you know what? i can play that too:

fonda_effigy.jpg

How do we know you didn't go into your backyard and build this thing in order to make a point? The phot looks like Hillary - did you just photoshop the name?

j/k

Last edited:
AEON said:

People have the right to protest, burn the flag, put bumper stickers on their Suburus...yet it is just my wish, a part-time soldier's wish, that these types of things didn't happen.

Would you really want to be a soldier for a country in which this wasn't allowed to happen?

MrsSpringsteen said:

Would you really want to be a soldier for a country in which this wasn't allowed to happen?

Allowed...yes. Actually happening...I prefer it didn't.

AEON said:

Allowed...yes. Actually happening...I prefer it didn't.

Why? Do you really believe that actually undermines anything? How about for a country in which those who do those things/similar things are called traitors, or unpatriotic? That goes against everything that this country fundamentally stands for, and our history was built on lots' o "unpatriotic" actions and thoughts.

AEON said:

However, I think that our best chance in any war (once it is underway) is to have similar public support like World War II.

and if we were in a war that had the moral imperative of WW2 -- and we'll even set aside the fact that it wasn't as nearly a "popular" or "good" war until it was almost over -- then i'm certain you'd see a unified war effort.

but even if you think this war is somehow comparable to WW2, blame our president. back then, they planted Victory Gardens. this imbicile asked us to put our courage to the sticking place and go shopping.

finally, can we work under the assumption that all wars the US is involved in are good? further, do they automatically become good once the US gets involved? is you feeling like everyone is just so proud of the job you're doing (and, note, i'm talking about the job, not you, which is an important distinction) really more important than my right as an informed citizen to protest the policies that i find to be wrong, policies that i think endanger us as a country, poliicies that i think result in worthless, usless mass death?

MrsSpringsteen said:
General Wesley Clark says Limbaugh should be taken off of Armed Forces Radio. I wonder who they have on there as any sort of counterpoint to Rush.

General Wesley Clark believes this!?!
Does it then become Gospel?
General Wesley Clark also believes in time travel.

dbs

Irvine511 said:

back then, they planted Victory Gardens. this imbicile asked us to put our courage to the sticking place and go shopping.

This we can definitely agree on.

diamond said:

General Wesley Clark believes this!?!

dbs

another phony soldier?

use wiki - before you respond

limbaugh_oxycontin.jpg

Who is really a phony?

bush_in_flight_suit_at_air_base.jpg

When Clark was in Viet Nam

This guy was doing what?

And then he plays dress up?

Kind of.......?

phony?

Vincent Vega said:
Could you elaborate on that?

It's all here:

http://www.swiftvets.com/

Announcer: They served their country with courage and distinction. They’re the men who served with John Kerry in Vietnam.

Announcer: They’re his entire chain of command, most of the officers in Kerry’s unit. Even the gunner from his own boat.

Announcer: And they’re the men who spent years in North Vietnamese prison camps.

Announcer: Tortured for refusing to confess what John Kerry accused them of. . . of being war criminals.

Announcer: They were also decorated. Many very highly. But they kept their medals.

Announcer: Today they are teachers, farmers, businessman, ministers, and community leaders. And of course, fathers and grandfathers.

Announcer: With nothing to gain for themselves, except the satisfaction that comes with telling the truth, they have come forward to talk about the John Kerry they know.

Announcer: Because to them honesty and character still matters. . . especially in a time of war.

t.

180px-Unfit_for_Command.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...um=1&hl=en&rls=GGIT,GGIT:2007-02,GGIT:en&sa=N

Back
Top Bottom