Rush Limbaugh Defines A Real Vs A "Phony" Soldier - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
A few weeks ago one of my friends was in town and wanted me and my bf to go out to a club with her. I'm not much for partying, but we went and ended up sitting at a table with one of her friends and that friend's fiance. He was a career Marine who had served almost 20 years and had already done tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. He was scheduled to be sent back to Iraq in a few weeks. I didn't want to get into talk about politics because I assumed that he and I would be on completely opposite sides of the fence. Surprisingly, another guy at the table brought up the war and Bush and this hardened combat soldier spit out with disgust, "I hate that bastard!" And then proceeded to tell stories about seeing his buddies head blown apart in front of him and having his brains splattered all over him. And ranted about the way the operations in Afghanistan had been handled and how they had the rug cut out from under them so that GW could pursue a personal war in Iraq. It really shocked me. This guy was in no way a bleeding heart liberal or a "phony" soldier.

wow just when you thought you heard everything! What a story! I guess we should never assume the obvious...

Old 09-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

When exactly did ol' Rush fight for our country again?

Old 09-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
You will always be able to find a soldier here and there that doesn't like their situation. But is is also my experience that the more vocal critics are the non-combat arms...
Funny, I thought we were all trained to be combat...

I heard it was the freaking reservists that were the "phony soldiers".
Old 09-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Funny, I thought we were all trained to be combat...

I heard it was the freaking reservists that were the "phony soldiers".

and here i was thinking that the real soldiers who want to stay in Iraq simply have bigger penises than all you limp-wristed reservist pansies.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:29 PM
Jesse MacBeth is a phony soldier and he was out there with made up atrocities.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:26 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Surprisingly, another guy at the table brought up the war and Bush and this hardened combat soldier spit out with disgust, "I hate that bastard!" .
Is he a Black Sabbath fan?

dbs
Old 10-01-2007, 02:36 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I have the blessing to meet many soldiers, active, Guard, and reservist...and I have only met a few that dislike Bush and think the war is a mistake.

My unit lost over 17 soldiers in their last deployment. Support for the war is amazing. As a matter of fact, most want to go back.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Is it support for the war or dedication and commitment to duty and to each other? And I have nothing but complete unwavering admiration for the latter, and would never fault any of you for the former either. I just think it is completely offensive to call anyone a "phony" soldier because they think and express certain thoughts about this war. You may as well go take a you know what on their graves. How dare he? The military is made up of intelligent, thoughtful men and women, and that's the way it should be.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I have the blessing to meet many soldiers, active, Guard, and reservist...and I have only met a few that dislike Bush and think the war is a mistake.

My unit lost over 17 soldiers in their last deployment. Support for the war is amazing. As a matter of fact, most want to go back.
Don't you think some of that is out of a sense of duty? Bush is the Commander in Chief, there are probably guys who would choose not to openly criticize the guy, whatever their private feelings may be.

I still say Rush Limbaugh has no business calling anyone a phony soldier. Not saying he can't say it - I'm a free-speech guy myself, whether I agree with what's said or not.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Is it support for the war or dedication and commitment to duty and to each other?
I believe it is both. Most of the men I serve with believe we are making a positive difference over there.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Most of the men I serve with believe we are making a positive difference over there.
I understand that-but how does that preclude certain criticisms? You can believe you are making a difference but still see what is wrong and what is failing. I can't believe that any soldier would defend these comments by Rush Limbaugh or any similar comments (not saying you are, just making a general statement), and honestly I would be very disappointed in them if they did.

And that would be men and women, correct?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

i think the better question would be why does anyone pay attention to rush limbaugh anymore anyways?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I understand that-but how does that preclude certain criticisms? You can believe you are making a difference but still see what is wrong and what is failing. I can't believe that any soldier would defend these comments by Rush Limbaugh or any similar comments (not saying you are, just making a general statement), and honestly I would be very disappointed in them if they did.

And that would be men and women, correct?
I'm not exactly a Rush fan. From what I've heard he is generally very supportive of the Armed Forces - so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on his comment.

I am of the opinion that the soldiers shouldn't talk to the press (or anyone else for that matter). The press is looking for something that will grab a reader...even if they have to quote a 19 year olf frustrated Private First Class who is tired of cleaning latrines because he has poor attitude.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I am of the opinion that the soldiers shouldn't talk to the press (or anyone else for that matter)
Wow, so they should take some sort of vow of silence? What grabs a reader is moral courage and honesty.

And I think anyone who is generally supportive of the armed forces would never make such a comment in the first place.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Privates up to the top ranks shouldn't have freedom of speech? Wow, your views of military get better and better...