Rush Limbaugh Defines A Real Vs A "Phony" Soldier - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #196
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White
If you read the entire transcript I don't believe this was the gist of it. He was referring to Macbeth and folks who had the same questionable service record as his.
I completely disagree. The whole MacBeth thing came up a caller or two after "the phony soldiers."

Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #197
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

If you believe in what you do, why do you care so much what others think?
Isn't that a major purpose of this forum? To listen and discuss with others with opposing views? I'm sure I can spend more time in a Right wing dominated website, but this is far more engaging.

When I see something I disagree with, and I have the time, I'll join the discussion. What's the big deal? Isn't it more fun to beat up on the handful of Conservatives that venture into here than simply post applause smileys to every Liberal point?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #198
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan

Careful AEON, pics like that offend diamond - wouldn't want him reporting you.
I know. And to think these folks paraded signs like this around in front of children. But hey, in San Francisco anything goes.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #199
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

That doesn't even make sense. Kerry lost because he wouldn't take a true stance on anything, ...
Obviously you haven't been a soilder, soildiers are taught to make decisions, take stances and live by them..

dbs
Old 10-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #200
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

More offensive than the Bush effigies at the rallies? Or the effigies of American troops?

yes, more offensive than the Bush effigies.

i have never, ever seen an American soldier effigy at an American peace rally.

but, again, if you need to convince yourself that the people opposed to this war are evil people who hate you, go right ahead.

it's quite clear that i can't stop you.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #201
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Well, we disagree.

but you're wrong.

i mean, you are. it's that simple.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Where has he opposed the right to dissent?

he's being hyperbolic in order to provoke a reaction from those who do dissent so he can write them off.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #203
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

he's being hyperbolic in order to provoke a reaction from those who do dissent so he can write them off.
And it is a weak line of argument, but not at odds with free speech or it's principles.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:23 AM   #204
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Obviously you haven't been a soilder, soildiers are taught to make decisions, take stances and live by them..

dbs
and you know this how????
Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 AM   #205
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:

I know. And to think these folks paraded signs like this around in front of children. But hey, in San Francisco anything goes.
So you've personally been to a lot of these rallies?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:42 AM   #206
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

dbs
So you run for President the same way you are carrying out a dangerous mission in a hostile jungle?

Have you ever served in the military?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:51 PM
Personally I think Limbaugh is an opportunist who would walk over the bodies of 100 soldiers (or if need be, 100 Republicans) to get to a Cuban cigar and a game of golf with celebrities he can namedrop.

That being said, from reading the transcript several times, I don't think either side can make a definitive case from these words as to what exactly he meant. Both sides sound like they are pulling at straws. I noted the plural. But this isn't the transcript that's going to bury Limbaugh. He's got some wiggle room. Even the missing parts of the transcript didn't provide any smoking gun. I believe that was removed because Rush was making no sense in the missing part and it was a cosmetic airbrush.

I'm inclined to think though that he is trying to create a link in his people's heads between soldiers who protest the war and somebody like Macbath (Saddam and 9/11) without directly saying so. He basically called the preceding caller a fake Republican while ignoring any military credentials the caller may have had because he wasn't lockstep with Rush's position. He used the propagandist's or apologist's MO of not tackling the issue headon, but questioning the credibility of the other person until the real issue gets lost in the other's defense of himself.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #208
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Personally I think Limbaugh is an opportunist who would walk over the bodies of 100 soldiers (or if need be, 100 Republicans) to get to a Cuban cigar and a game of golf with celebrities he can namedrop.

That being said, from reading the transcript several times, I don't think either side can make a definitive case from these words as to what exactly he meant. Both sides sound like they are pulling at straws. I noted the plural. But this isn't the transcript that's going to bury Limbaugh. He's got some wiggle room. Even the missing parts of the transcript didn't provide any smoking gun. I believe that was removed because Rush was making no sense in the missing part and it was a cosmetic airbrush.

I'm inclined to think though that he is trying to create a link in his people's heads between soldiers who protest the war and somebody like Macbath (Saddam and 9/11) without directly saying so. He basically called the preceding caller a fake Republican while ignoring any military credentials the caller may have had because he wasn't lockstep with Rush's position. He used the propagandist's or apologist's MO of not tackling the issue headon, but questioning the credibility of the other person until the real issue gets lost in the other's defense of himself.
Your post captures how I feel about this issue 100%.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #209
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Isn't that a major purpose of this forum? To listen and discuss with others with opposing views? I'm sure I can spend more time in a Right wing dominated website, but this is far more engaging.

When I see something I disagree with, and I have the time, I'll join the discussion. What's the big deal? Isn't it more fun to beat up on the handful of Conservatives that venture into here than simply post applause smileys to every Liberal point?
Despite how it may appear, I AM glad you're here, AEON.

But here's the thing, and I don't mean to be offensive. . .I just think you could make stronger arguments than you have of late. The conservative political position is not completely ludicrous by any means, and a reasonable defense of the conservative point of view is definitely worthwhile and necessary (I''m going to talk more about that in a reply to the Conservatives/lLiberals think different). But the battles you've chosen to fight in this thread--I mean, defending Rush, a guy you yourself admitt you don't care much for--and in that illegal immigrants thread. . .I don't know, I'm sure this is very much a "left handed compliment" but it just seems beneath you. I just really believe you could do better.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #210
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Despite how it may appear, I AM glad you're here, AEON.

But here's the thing, and I don't mean to be offensive. . .I just think you could make stronger arguments than you have of late. The conservative political position is not completely ludicrous by any means, and a reasonable defense of the conservative point of view is definitely worthwhile and necessary (I''m going to talk more about that in a reply to the Conservatives/lLiberals think different). But the battles you've chosen to fight in this thread--I mean, defending Rush, a guy you yourself admitt you don't care much for--and in that illegal immigrants thread. . .I don't know, I'm sure this is very much a "left handed compliment" but it just seems beneath you. I just really believe you could do better.
Agreed completely, and not sure I can really add anything. Mudslingers like Rush (and Ann Coulter, and O'Reilly) aren't people you want to hitch your wagon to.