Rush Limbaugh And Joe Scarborough, Will They Ever Evolve? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Comparing members of the opposite sex to domestic animals is always a bad idea--some will find such comments amusing, but personally I'm never entirely sure how seriously people who make these comparisons intend them and I think a lot of people aren't, which is reason enough to avoid them. But BonosSaint is right that it sounds like Rush was more annoyed that he "has to pay for it" lol.

I'm not familiar with Joe Scarborough and Rachel Sklar (or Limbaugh either really, for that matter) but it sounds like he may have been trying to take a dig at her specifically? Pathetically cheap shot if that's the case.

I don't know that I'd compare these comments to Richards or Gibson, though--those were extremely vulgar, verbally violent episodes, and that has much to do with why they garnered the amount of attention they did. Both had made more "subtly" questionable comments in similar vein in the past that didn't attract much press at all. In any case, unfortunately it will probably always be easier to get away with "subtly" sexist comments because the dichotomy in question involves roughly 50% of the population and cuts across other social polarizations (race, class, etc.), making it easier to rationalize such thinking as benign and banal, "popular wisdom" etc. (So no, probably Limbaugh and Scarborough will never evolve.)
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I suppose if all you think you're good for is incubating babies for nine months, you wouldn't have bucketloads of self-esteem.
I don't think that attitude (though it certainly exists) is the problem here--rather the attitudes that women are manipulative and lazy (Limbaugh) or just not sharp enough to sustain productive interest in non-warm-n-fuzzy stuff like politics (Scarborough). Plenty of men who couldn't care less whether women have children or not still incline towards attitudes like this at times, as many professional women can attest.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-04-2006, 07:00 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
You know what really ticks me off? Michael Richards and Mel Gibson say incredibly racist stuff and it causes an uproar (and rightly so), but when media figures like Limbaugh and Scarborough make sexist remarks, hardly anybody pays attention.
You and me both.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

The people who I feel sorry for are the women who claim to believe this junk. I cannot fathom why any woman would degrade her own sex except due to brainwashing. If a woman has grown up influenced/indoctrinated by religious fundamentalists and other nutcases who keep telling her that she's inferior and incapable of intelligent thought or understanding politics just because she doesn't have a penis, I can see why she could end up listening to and accepting this nonsense. I've met a few in Christian circles (the sort of fundie Christian circles that I try to avoid) and they seem to lead such unfulfilling lives. I suppose if all you think you're good for is incubating babies for nine months, you wouldn't have bucketloads of self-esteem. The social and religious conditions that foster such attitudes should not be tolerated.
One need not look further than Bob Jones University to see that this kind of thinking is alive and well. One day in class, we were exploring some of the textbooks of the required classes in BJU. I remember one particular textbook in a class for women that was along the lines of how to be a good wife to your husband. Giving helpful pointers like "how to prepare his meat the way he likes it" (I guess no vegetarians at BJU) and "how important it is to clean up and have dinner ready when he comes home from work." They have redesigned their web site this year, but last year the degrees available were actually divided between Men's programs and Women's programs. There was an obvious trend in which programs were availble to which sex.

I'm usually all about being open minded to others' ideas, but I feel like insitutions like that are poisonous and perpetuate sexist behavior and traditional gender roles. I think what bothers me most is like what you said, that women are OKAY with it!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #19
Forum Moderator

BJU is kind of preaching to the choir though there, aren't they? I mean, if you're looking for progressive attitudes there you're probably looking in the wrong place--their raison d'etre is pretty much in-your-face the opposite.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This is true, but since it is an institution of higher education, that scares me about a possibility of a growing influence.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Does anyone but me find it hilarious that the first two letters of BJU are BJ?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

absolutely! gotta love the irony.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #23
Forum Moderator

Well they've been around since 1927, and are accredited only by the (Forest, VA-based) Christian college accreditation body TRACS (which only just happened last month). Obviously they exist to serve a particular community and if that community grows, so will they, but I wouldn't worry too much about their curriculum influencing that of schools outside their target demographic. I mean, they also have gender-based dress codes, bans on watching TV and DVDs, bans on listening to popular music, even on wearing Abercrombie and Fitch...I don't really see Anywhere State U. implementing policies like that anytime soon. They also didn't get around to desegregating until 1975...but that's another story.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Well they've been around since 1927, and are accredited only by the (Forest, VA-based) Christian college accreditation body TRACS (which only just happened last month). Obviously they exist to serve a particular community and if that community grows, so will they, but I wouldn't worry too much about their curriculum influencing that of schools outside their target demographic. I mean, they also have gender-based dress codes, bans on watching TV and DVDs, bans on listening to popular music, even on wearing Abercrombie and Fitch...I don't really see Anywhere State U. implementing policies like that anytime soon. They also didn't get around to desegregating until 1975...but that's another story.
Very true! Looking at that is refreshing, because whenever we talk about issues in higher education that flippin school keeps coming up Even though other institutions aren't implementing the same policies, they still have a growing community. And then they will go to school, graduate, make 10 babies per household (minimum) and send them to the school, eventually repopulating the earth with their archaic ideals, spreading their distorted visions all over the country and perhaps others while on their mission trips to convert the world.

But I digress.

Who knows though, maybe some day they will change for the better. Even Liberty finally (either this year or last year) allowed students to wear jeans.