Run, Karla, ruuuun!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliEnvy

Refugee
Frankly I'm surprised she's still walking around...why hasn't someone offed her yet??

She is wise to be prepared to run when that movie comes out. Good riddance.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Law/2006/01/13/1392396-sun.html

Karla seeks passport
Killer spotted at Montreal office
By VIVIAN SONG, TORONTO SUN

It looks like Karla Homolka is ready to fly the coop after the schoolgirl killer was seen applying for a passport at a Montreal office.

Sun sister paper Le Journal de Montreal reports Homolka went to the Saint-Laurent passport office before noon yesterday, citing reliable sources who confirmed the sighting to reporter Jean-Philippe Pineault.

Homolka served a 12-year sentence for manslaughter in the brutal killings of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy.

She also drugged her sister Tammy, 15, and allowed ex-husband Paul Bernardo to rape the girl. Tammy choked on her vomit and died.

CONDITIONS LIFTED

She was released from prison last summer with a host of conditions, but a Quebec judge lifted all 14 on Nov. 30 -- two of which required her to advise police of travel plans and any change of address.

Attorney General Michael Bryant tried to restrict Homolka's movements in Ontario but was unsuccessful.

Since being discovered by Sun reporters Alan Cairns and Brodie Fenlon in a Montreal suburb after her release, Homolka has slipped under the media radar with little word of her whereabouts.

According to Montreal criminal lawyer Jean-Pierre Rancourt, Homolka is free to jet off and see the sights nearly anywhere in the world, despite her beastly crimes.

NOT WELCOME IN U.S.

"In the islands, like the Bahamas, the Dominican Republic or Cuba, no one would even ask her any questions," he told Le Journal. "She could probably even live in a European country without too many problems."

The only country that wouldn't welcome her with open arms is the U.S.

"A person with a criminal record, especially for the kind of crimes she committed, will never be accepted in the U.S.," Rancourt said.

Karla sightings have also been reported on Montreal's south shore.

The reported move to apply for a passport comes amid TV trailers advertising the made-in-Hollywood movie Karla, which opens in 100 Canadian theatres next Friday.

I don't know if she's truly remorseful of what she's done or not, but the thought of the guilt I would feel over such a thing... :yikes:

:tsk: Sad.

Justin24 said:
Thank Goodness she was denied. I can't believe they let her out.:mad:

I don't think she was denied anything, it just said she wouldn't be allowed entry into the US.

Not sure how familiar you are with the case (it occurred in the early 90's, about an hour from where I live), but her sentence was relatively short because of a deal cut with the crown attorney, that led to her husband being found guilty and serving life in prison. It was later found that there was enough evidence to convict both of them, and that no deal should have been made. Canadians were rightly very angry that this could have happened.

VintagePunk said:
I can't even imagine anyone wanting to see the film. Years ago I read a book recounting the events, and I certainly wouldn't want visuals to go along with it. :|

I'm with ya on that. I didn't read the book but I still don't want to know the extent of the torture or have any visuals. The fact that the actual horrors are on video makes a movie a little too close for comfort for me.

If she puts that passport to use, nobody here would miss her.

anitram said:
If she puts that passport to use, nobody here would miss her.

If she got in here (although supposedly she would be denied) I doubt anyone would know here. Neither her name, nor her crime rings any bells for me.

She committed some of the most heinous crimes imaginable, including (along with her husband) raping her own younger sister after having her drugged, and keeping 2 young teenagers in captivity, torturing, raping, killing, dismembering, the whole lot. The fact she got out is due to a plea bargain, and IMO, the fault of the police who did not do a proper search of her home after the arrests.

There was a Law and Order episode "inspired" by these cases a few years ago.

anitram said:
She committed some of the most heinous crimes imaginable, including (along with her husband) raping her own younger sister after having her drugged, and keeping 2 young teenagers in captivity, torturing, raping, killing, dismembering, the whole lot. The fact she got out is due to a plea bargain, and IMO, the fault of the police who did not do a proper search of her home after the arrests.

There was a Law and Order episode "inspired" by these cases a few years ago.

Gruesome.

And because it was so gruesome I'm surprised it didn't make bigger waves here (although it could have and I just missed it -- sometimes I completely tune out and do miss loads of stuff). I can't help but wonder if it didn't make a bigger splash because it didn't happen here (the US). We do tend to ignore most things that happen elsewhere.

At the time the only trial on the news in the US was OJ's. Also, the Paul Bernardo trial here (her husband) had a publication ban...very few details were even available here until it was all over.

indra said:

Gruesome.

And because it was so gruesome I'm surprised it didn't make bigger waves here (although it could have and I just missed it -- sometimes I completely tune out and do miss loads of stuff). I can't help but wonder if it didn't make a bigger splash because it didn't happen here (the US). We do tend to ignore most things that happen elsewhere.

I do remember it being reported by the US media, but I'm not sure how huge the story got, especially away from border states. I'm sure that if it were to occur now instead of in the early 90's, it would make a much bigger impact than it did at the time, given the current propensity for overreporting sensational stories.

Thinking back, I do recall that there was a big to-do regarding the border states (the one I'm thinking of specifically is NY) reporting content having to do with the case and the trial, given that there was a court-ordered publication ban here in Canada, and that the SW/Niagara region of Ontario, including the city where the crime was committed, gets the network affiliates out of Buffalo. Does anyone remember what happened with that? I'm thinking that that US networks ended up not reporting the disallowed content, but I may be wrong.

AliEnvy said:
I'm with ya on that. I didn't read the book but I still don't want to know the extent of the torture or have any visuals. The fact that the actual horrors are on video makes a movie a little too close for comfort for me.
I don't think the videos exist anymore. I seem to remember reading that, after Paul Bernardo's last appeals had been denied, the judge ordered the videos destroyed so there was no chance they could someday end up on TV or the internet. And the thing is, you just know that would have happened. They would have been stolen from evidence, or some media outlet would have petitioned for their release.

At the time of Bernardo's trial, I lived near the Canadian border and I remember seeing loads of media coverage on Canadian TV and newspapers, but practically nothing in the US media. I think the reason for this was because of the almost complete media lockdown ordered by the trial judge. There was no in-court TV, and there were only a few reporters even allowed into the courtroom. Without direct access to the juicy details, the American media pretty much ignored the story.

The unfortunate reality is that the actual crimes (kidnapping, rape, murder) weren't that much more gruesome than many others committed these days, but it was the other factors that made this case stand out, such as: Karla & Paul being this young, good-looking couple (the Ken & Barbie killers); Karla's own sister being one of the victims; that they had her parents over for dinner while one of the victim's bodies was still in their basement; that Karla pretty much tricked the entire Ontario police department and DA's office into believing that she was also Paul's victim; that Karla was so involved, since female serial killers are so rare; that they video-taped their crimes and kept the videos.

Thinking back about these crimes, I don't see why Canadians aren't out there helping Karla get that passport and seeing her off at the airport.

I've read about this case. I cannot imagine taking part in the crimes that this woman performed, no matter how frightened or "brainwashed" she was by her husband. I cannot imagine making the evil choices this woman made. How could she help torture and kill her sister, let alone those other girls? How??? How could she live with herself???

I hope she gets what she deserves one day.

Back
Top Bottom