Run, Karla, ruuuun!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 01-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #16
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Originally posted by AliEnvy
I'm with ya on that. I didn't read the book but I still don't want to know the extent of the torture or have any visuals. The fact that the actual horrors are on video makes a movie a little too close for comfort for me.
I don't think the videos exist anymore. I seem to remember reading that, after Paul Bernardo's last appeals had been denied, the judge ordered the videos destroyed so there was no chance they could someday end up on TV or the internet. And the thing is, you just know that would have happened. They would have been stolen from evidence, or some media outlet would have petitioned for their release.

At the time of Bernardo's trial, I lived near the Canadian border and I remember seeing loads of media coverage on Canadian TV and newspapers, but practically nothing in the US media. I think the reason for this was because of the almost complete media lockdown ordered by the trial judge. There was no in-court TV, and there were only a few reporters even allowed into the courtroom. Without direct access to the juicy details, the American media pretty much ignored the story.

The unfortunate reality is that the actual crimes (kidnapping, rape, murder) weren't that much more gruesome than many others committed these days, but it was the other factors that made this case stand out, such as: Karla & Paul being this young, good-looking couple (the Ken & Barbie killers); Karla's own sister being one of the victims; that they had her parents over for dinner while one of the victim's bodies was still in their basement; that Karla pretty much tricked the entire Ontario police department and DA's office into believing that she was also Paul's victim; that Karla was so involved, since female serial killers are so rare; that they video-taped their crimes and kept the videos.

Thinking back about these crimes, I don't see why Canadians aren't out there helping Karla get that passport and seeing her off at the airport.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:35 PM
I've read about this case. I cannot imagine taking part in the crimes that this woman performed, no matter how frightened or "brainwashed" she was by her husband. I cannot imagine making the evil choices this woman made. How could she help torture and kill her sister, let alone those other girls? How??? How could she live with herself???

I hope she gets what she deserves one day.