rumsfeld to declare end to fighting in afghanistan - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2003, 08:44 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:31 PM
rumsfeld to declare end to fighting in afghanistan

does this piss anyone else off? we go into Iraq and divert attention from where it should be and we still don't have bin Laden. How can we declare an end to fighting if we still don't have bin Laden?

Seeking to reassure jittery allies
that Afghanistan is safe for reconstruction, Defense Secretary
Donald H. Rumsfeld plans to declare that major combat operations
there are over.
Rumsfeld, who arrived Thursday from Iraq, was to visit a
training facility where U.S. troops are working with the Afghan
national army. He also was meeting with President Hamid Karzai.
Rumsfeld has said that most of Afghanistan is secure but he also
has said the region along the border with Pakistan remains
dangerous.
The secretary, nevertheless, was poised to declare major combat
over during a news conference with Karzai at the presidential
palace here.

Old 05-01-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:31 AM
This pisses me off too. We still don't have Bin Laden or any of the Taliban big shots. Those guys are bad news. 9/11 was possibly the most stressful day of my life because it took me three hours to get news that my sisters in New York were safe. One of them was living in Lower Manhattan at the time. As it turned out she'd gone to Brooklyn to work. I still think there is a threat and this is insane.

Old 05-01-2003, 01:00 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

A very good friend of mine spent 6 months all over Afghanistan in 2002. From his experience which went far beyond a normal tour of duty there, tells me that what Rumsfeld says is right on the money.

The USA is catching lot of the Al Quada and Taliban leaders in Pakistan. #3 on the list was captured last year. #4 was captured yesterday. Every day thousands of US soldiers, CIA officers, FBI agents, are on the hunt for terrorist. It would be foolish to deny that and actually a bit disrespectful considering the risk and stress these soldiers and agents are under.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:02 PM   #4
New Yorker

understandably sting, but if we keep catching these people and there are still more, how can we declare victory? how can we declare victory when the guy we were there for is still missing?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Rumsfeld did not declare victory, he declared a phase of a particular military operation to be over. There is a difference.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:27 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I agree with sharky. No disrespect towards anyone intended, Sting. I'm glad there has been progress made, and it's been reported that Al-Qaeda is really weakened. Still, I wonder if it isn't a bit premature to actually declare victory with so many of the big shots still on the loose.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:53 PM   #7
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Rumsfeld did not declare victory, he declared a phase of a particular military operation to be over. There is a difference.
Yeah, MAJOR combat operations. Its not like part of this or that is over. MAJOR combat. sorry, but if they haven't found bin Laden they should be throwing every soldier they have at him -- not say "Oh we're almost finished with Afghanistan." The whole reason we bombed Afghanistan in the first place was to get bin Laden. Where is he?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
The whole reason we bombed Afghanistan in the first place was to get bin Laden.
No. It was to remove a regime that sponsored terrorism. Bin Laden is the trophy everyone is fixated on. He can hang in his Pakistani cave for only so long.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:57 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:31 PM
sharky,

get with the program

the 'war on terror' needs a poster boy.

this can not end too early, must not peak too early.

remember the lessons of Bush 1.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:31 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

True, the Taliban got kicked out of power, and good riddance. They were a bunch of It's been reported that the present central government doesn't have much power outside of Kabul. It seems to me that there still might be a little too much chaos in Afghanistan to declare victory. I'm not sure, Iraq completely knocked Afghanistan out of the news.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:40 PM   #11
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 01:31 AM
Rumsfeld declared end of fighting in afghanistan, not a vicrory.. how could he?
There is still local resistance (I'm sure US military will get control over it they have more than enough military power)

But.. some primary goals announced before the wars weren't reached, "just" two governments replaced.

Either the people start to believe that it was a victory anyway or the US government should find Ossama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein and the WMDs as announced.

If both things fail we might see the next invasion.

Klaus

p.s. i wonder if Rumsfeld remembered his last visit in Baghdad when he was in Iraq.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:02 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Klaus,

"Rumsfeld declared end of fighting in afghanistan, not a vicrory.. how could he?
There is still local resistance (I'm sure US military will get control over it they have more than enough military power)"

Rumsfeld declared an end to MAJOR military operations, not an end to fighting or victory! Major military operations could resume if they are required. The "resistance" you speak of does not require Major Military operations to stop it or manage it. A good friend of mine that had a unique role in several parts of Afghanstan for 6 months last year knows this. He just spent 3 months in Iraq/Kuwait fighting Saddams thugs. He finally comes home to my area tomorrow! Can you say, PARTY!

"Either the people start to believe that it was a victory anyway or the US government should find Ossama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein and the WMDs as announced"

I have said it a billion times! It was never incumbent upon the USA or any country to find WMDs in Iraq, it was Incumbent upon Iraq to prove it had disarmed itself of such weapons. US forces job is to ensure any future Iraqi government does not have WMDs.

It was never the chief goal of the USA to actually catch or kill a single person. It was ensuring that those individuals were disarmed from their primary means of power. That has been done!

". i wonder if Rumsfeld remembered his last visit in Baghdad when he was in Iraq."

I am sure he did, but its obvious many don't remember or correctly understand why he was there the first time. They fail to appreciate the context of the time and what was going on then.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:26 AM   #13
New Yorker

sting, sorry but I disagree. What exactly were our goals in these wars? After Sept. 11, they said we had to go to Afghanistan to get bin Laden, not to take down the Taliban. And they went in to Iraq to remove Saddam Hussein from his WMDs.

So let's see where we are now: we bomb countries, set up really unstable governments, and pull our main power out. As Bush said during the election, he isn't in to Nation Building. And that's obvious. He's in to bombing a country, making people run scared, and leaving. What do you think is going to happen to an unstable government if we leave?

I said it in another thread and I say it here again: we caught the guy who hijacked a boat 15 years ago and killed one guy. Why have we not caught a guy who killed 3,000 people 18 months ago? I'm sorry but we should still be in full force going after bin Laden and we've given up the fight to go after someone who had no proven direct connection to the attacks on our country.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:14 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

That's right, the government in Kabul is very unstable. It really doesn't have much power outside of Kabul. It's a scary situation. OK, no one declared victory. I've posted a few looney notes over the past three days because I've been sick. Everyone just hopes the terrorists don't strike again.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:50 PM   #15
New Yorker

[off topic]
loony notes over the past few days? why stop now? I post loony notes all the time!!!!
[/off topic]