Rumsfeld Steps Down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GOP says Rumsfeld is stepping down

By DAVID ESPO and LIZ SIDOTI
Associated Press, Nov 8, 1:06 PM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, intends to resign after six stormy years at the Pentagon, Republican officials said Wednesday.

Officials said Robert Gates, former head of the CIA, would replace Rumsfeld.

President Bush was expected to announce Rumsfeld's departure and Gates' nomination at an afternoon news conference. Administration officials notified congressional officials in advance.

Last week, as he campaigned to save the Republican majority, Bush declared that Rumsfeld would remain at the Pentagon through the end of his term.

Gates first joined the CIA in 1966 and served in the intelligence community for more than a quarter century, under six presidents. His nomination must be confirmed by the Senate.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I was shocked at this one. Not expecting it all from the stubborn beast. About time...

He is a COWARD

this ADMINISTRATION is full of COWARDS.

Do you really think he has the testes to take any REAL questions from the Democrats?
Bectal saw the writting on the wall and got out a couple of weeks ago, do any of them want any real questions on the no-bid contracts?

deep said:

He is a COWARD

this ADMINISTRATION is full of COWARDS.

Do you really think he has the testes to take any REAL questions from the Democrats?
Bectal saw the writting on the wall and got out a couple of weeks ago, do any of them want any real questions on the no-bid contracts?

Don't know if I agree with the term cowards or not, but that administration is the best (worst?) example of group-think I've ever seen. Nice to see the group starting to unravel. :up:

Judah said:
Well, three years too late, but I'll take it.

Now the questions come: did he jump or was he pushed (by W); how many Repub seats could've been saved if he'd done it last month?

Given the fact that Rumsfield offered his resignation twice in the last couple years and it was denied by Bush, I'm guessing it was his decision this time as well.

Judah said:

Now the questions come: did he jump or was he pushed (by W); how many Repub seats could've been saved if he'd done it last month?

Of course, if it had happened a month ago, everyone would have said it was political posturing ahead of the elections.

Better late than never, I suppose. It will be interesting to see what fresh ideas Gates brings to the table.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15622266/?GT1=8717

Last week, as Bush campaigned to save the Republican majority, he declared that Rumsfeld would remain at the Pentagon through the end of his term.

But sources told NBC News military analyst Bill Arkin that prior to the election, Vice President Dick Cheney argued with other politicians over whether Rumsfeld should stay. White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten and others argued Rumsfeld should be removed, the source said.

What a difference a week (and an election) makes, huh? :)

do you guys really think that this will make any difference, politically?

the last time I checked, cheney was still in the control room.

Scarletwine said:
Ditto

But, I'll take one more victory. Course now Bush can give the line blah blah we have heard the people and are responding blah blah blah

Scarlet Twine...the little picture at the bottom of your post is hilarious!

Today is a great day.

Good riddance, Rumsfeld!

Judah said:
Well, three years too late, but I'll take it.

Exactly - makes one wonder why Bush didn't do this before the election??? Another thing as well...before everyone jumps up and down too many times over Rumsfeld's resignation remember that his replacement Robert Gates is a "great friend" of former President George H.W. Bush and former director of the CIA.

Back
Top Bottom