Rumsfeld Likes Chavez to Hitler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A poor choice of headline.

He only said "Chavez was elected just as Hitler was elected". More a comment about democracy I suppose.

nbcrusader said:

He only said "Chavez was elected just as Hitler was elected". More a comment about democracy I suppose.

such comparisons come up all the time on the floor of Congress -- people from Santorum to Byrd have made them, and in precisely the same way that Rumsfeld did. there's never, ever an innocent, incidental evocation of the man who has come to personify the most extreme case of evil in the 20th century.

it's inappropriate for Congress, and it's inappropriate for Rumsfeld.

nbcrusader said:

Yeah well Bush was elected in the same way.

The second time anyway.

guys, they're all evil ok? they're leftists, so obviously the hitler references make sense. anyone who knows anything about history, knows hitler was way out to lunch on the left side of the fence on the political spectrum.

Zoomerang96 said:
guys, they're all evil ok? they're leftists, so obviously the hitler references make sense. anyone who knows anything about history, knows hitler was way out to lunch on the left side of the fence on the political spectrum.

:lol:

yeah Thyssen was such a leftie and all the German steel industry who pampered Hitler was full of bloody communists :D

anitram said:

Yeah well Bush was elected in the same way.

The second time anyway.

The first time too!

twas a democratic election, yo, sunshine state

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

:lol:

yeah Thyssen was such a leftie and all the German steel industry who pampered Hitler was full of bloody communists :D

:wink:

Don't you know guys? Only conservatives are allowed to compare their opponents to Hitler. Everyone else is forbidden.

Melon

melon said:
Don't you know guys? Only conservatives are allowed to compare their opponents to Hitler. Everyone else is forbidden.

Melon

Funny, I though liberals did it as well.

Let me guess - conservatives are meaner about it...

In the 1930's, in Europe, in general it was conservatives, especially those from aristocratic families, that wanted to appease Hitler and in general it was leftists that saw the danger of the Nazis.

But I digress.

financeguy said:
In the 1930's, in Europe, in general it was conservatives, especially those from aristocratic families, that wanted to appease Hitler and in general it was leftists that saw the danger of the Nazis.

But I digress.

And both parties didn't stop Hitler; at least not in any strong fashion. Perhaps the conservatives' appeasement was out of fear? That's no excuse, but I'm just wondering.

nbcrusader said:
Funny, I though liberals did it as well.

Let me guess - conservatives are meaner about it...

Funny, I never denied that. But now that one of Bush's seraphim has made the comparison to Hitler, where's the outrage from conservatives? Why aren't you calling for his resignation?

Melon

Sonoftelepunk said:

And both parties didn't stop Hitler; at least not in any strong fashion. Perhaps the conservatives' appeasement was out of fear? That's no excuse, but I'm just wondering.

No, it was not out of fear. Many Germans admired Hitler. As to the conservatives - the ones in power supported him. Hitler would not have won the election in Germany in 1933 if the conservative steel industry which saw a chance for war (=profits) would not have backed him financially.

nbcrusader said:

I agree

Yet, I think it's apparent Rummy has been a massive failure overall.

I like his candor in general, I just think he's been incompetent more oftem than not, it maybe cost lives. Probably did, actually.

rumsfeld biggest downfall is massive ego that he's carried everywhere with him since he was an ivy school student.

Back
Top Bottom