Rudy Giuliani for President - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:14 AM
Rudy Giuliani for President

http://www.rudyforpresidentblog.com/

What do you think? Will he run? Could he win? Will the Republicans let him run?

I personally think he is pretty much the only Republican with a solid chance of beating the Democrats. And I would vote for him if he decides to run, even though I generally hate Republicans... but I was amazed by the way he handled September 11 when I lived in NYC.

As for the Democrats, all rumors point to a Hillary vs. Obama primary. Sorry for being naive, but I find it hard to believe that the U.S. population is ready to have either (i) its first woman or (ii) its first African-American as President.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:14 AM
He won't pander to the Christian right, and that's the only way a Republican will win these days...

All you have to do is say you are against ____, or for ____ and you get their vote. You really don't even have to follow through.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:14 PM
Rudy Giuliani most likely would certainly not be a bad president, a change from what we've got now. If we have to have a Republican president I hope it's Giuliani. I don't know if the recent election means a rejection of the Christian right by the majority of the voters, who prefer a centrist in the White House, IMO. It might work to Giuliani's advantage that he doesn't bow down to these people.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 05:14 AM
Rudy is an interesting candidate. He'll get quite a number of moderate dems to cross over and vote for him, but he'll lose that amount and more in far right, evangelical republicans, who will have to be nearly dragged to the polls to vote for him. Similar scenario with McCain. And make no mistake, this is not a small amount of voters.

So unless the dems put up someone who would scare up the republican base—read, Hillary—they could do well in 2008.

I'll be working for Obama, but if I'm honest, I think the strongest ticket would be Richardson and Obama.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think the era of politicians who have used 9/11 for political gain needs to end.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:14 AM
Well, if I recall, Giuliana was a persona non grata lame duck mayor choosing incompetents for important positions and doing his own versions of "Great job, Brownie" (read: Bernie Kerek). It might be interesting to research the totality of his being mayor prior to 9/11. He was great during 9/11. Hopefully we won't be in that position again, but following him prior to 9/11 makes me a little uneasy about him being President. In some ways, he reminds me too much of Bush but in a more urbane package. Don't know that I want to see another divider in the White House quite so soon.

He may get it though. He comes across as a very attractive candidate. We love tough talk.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think even Bush was "great" during 9/11, with high approval ratings. I just don't need to see more campaign speeches and ads invoking 9/11 - it's been overdone already.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Well, if I recall, Giuliana was a persona non grata lame duck mayor choosing incompetents for important positions and doing his own versions of "Great job, Brownie" (read: Bernie Kerek). It might be interesting to research the totality of his being mayor prior to 9/11. He was great during 9/11. Hopefully we won't be in that position again, but following him prior to 9/11 makes me a little uneasy about him being President. In some ways, he reminds me too much of Bush but in a more urbane package. Don't know that I want to see another divider in the White House quite so soon.

He may get it though. He comes across as a very attractive candidate. We love tough talk.
Well, Rudy was also great as mayor of NYC before 9/11, where his zero tolerance policy was very successful.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Pro-choice and pro-gay marriage winning the Republican primary? Hahahaha!!

Good one.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC

Well, Rudy was also great as mayor of NYC before 9/11, where his zero tolerance policy was very successful.

on 9/10/01

he was not popular at all, he was a has been

he will not get the GOP nom
or even be seriously considered for VP

McCain has the best shot for the nom.

But he will have a hard time winning the general election

McCaim’s best shot was in 2000,
when the Rove/Cheney/Bush cabal use the most disgusting tactics to rob him of the nomination.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

when Rudy's 2nd (3rd?) wife kicked him out, he moved in with a gay couple and a shi-tzu.

Rudy is D.O.A. in South Carolina.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

on 9/10/01

he was not popular at all, he was a has been

he will not get the GOP nom
or even be seriously considered for VP

McCain has the best shot for the nom.

But he will have a hard time winning the general election

McCaim’s best shot was in 2000,
when the Rove/Cheney/Bush cabal use the most disgusting tactics to rob him of the nomination.
The Democrats have no strong runners remotely comparable to McCain. As long as McCain gets his party's nomination, he will win the general election. Hillary and Obama would not stand a chance against McCain, especially when the country really focus's on the two contenders after the primaries.

Winning the Republican nomination will be easier now that the Republicans have suffered such a heavy defeat in Congress. The upside to such a defeat is that its a wake up call to those who either did not vote, or thought they could afford to go with candidate a or b in 2008. For the Republicans now, the issue becomes more about electiblity and defeating the Democrats rather than ones personal preference or ideology for a particular candidate. In addition, the party "elites" and key fundraisers had already started to line up behind him before the November elections.

The Democrats will do their best to go after McCain, but going after McCain won't be like going after W.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LPU2
Rudy is an interesting candidate. He'll get quite a number of moderate dems to cross over and vote for him, but he'll lose that amount and more in far right, evangelical republicans, who will have to be nearly dragged to the polls to vote for him. Similar scenario with McCain. And make no mistake, this is not a small amount of voters.

So unless the dems put up someone who would scare up the republican base—read, Hillary—they could do well in 2008.

I'll be working for Obama, but if I'm honest, I think the strongest ticket would be Richardson and Obama.
Who else could the Christian right vote for though, if not the republican candidate? Will they just not vote? Wouldn't that essentially be handing the election to the certainly more liberal democrats?
Old 12-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

The Democrats have no strong runners remotely comparable to McCain. As long as McCain gets his party's nomination, he will win the general election. Hillary and Obama would not stand a chance against McCain, especially when the country really focus's on the two contenders after the primaries.

Winning the Republican nomination will be easier now that the Republicans have suffered such a heavy defeat in Congress. The upside to such a defeat is that its a wake up call to those who either did not vote, or thought they could afford to go with candidate a or b in 2008. For the Republicans now, the issue becomes more about electiblity and defeating the Democrats rather than ones personal preference or ideology for a particular candidate. In addition, the party "elites" and key fundraisers had already started to line up behind him before the November elections.

The Democrats will do their best to go after McCain, but going after McCain won't be like going after W.

but how is McCain going to stimulate the Christofascist Republican base?

everyone else -- moderates, independents, even some protestant evangelicals, and certainly everyone who isn't a straight white male -- abandoned the Republicans in 2006. Bush has steered this Exxon Valdez of a party aground; it will take them decades to rebuild and redefine. Republicanism, as we have come to know it since 1994, is dead and buried, and Bush is to blame.

and Iraq is going to hang around McCain's neck like a noose, especially with 71% of Americans disapproving of Bush's handling of the war. all of McCain's reckless support of a thoughtless, pointless, catastrophic invasion and occupation is going to come back to haunt him -- he's arguing for more troops. sounds politically suicidal.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
all of McCain's reckless support of a thoughtless, pointless, catastrophic invasion and occupation is going to come back to haunt him -- he's arguing for more troops. sounds politically suicidal.
I think McCain has presented enough differences between himself and the White House on this issue, that he may very well overcome it.

It is an albatross...I agree....but...with the right spin....