Rollingstone refuses to run ad for Bible - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 09:24 AM
Rollingstone refuses to run ad for Bible

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/20/rol....ap/index.html

What d'yall think?

Rolling Stone refuses to run ad for Bible
Thursday, January 20, 2005 Posted: 8:03 AM EST (1303 GMT)

GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan (AP) -- -- Rolling Stone magazine declined to run an advertisement for a new translation of the Bible aimed at young people, the nation's largest Bible publisher said Wednesday.

Zondervan, a division of HarperCollins Publishers, bought space in the magazine months ago as part of an ad campaign for Today's New International Version, said Doug Lockhart, Zondervan's executive vice president of marketing.

"Last week, we were surprised and certainly disappointed that Rolling Stone had changed their mind and rejected our ad," he said.

A telephone message seeking comment was left Wednesday at the New York headquarters of Wenner Media LLC, publisher of Rolling Stone.

Lockhart said Zondervan, based in Grand Rapids, paid Wenner Media last July to run the ad in February, when the Bible is due on bookshelves.

On Tuesday, USA Today quoted Kent Brownridge, general manager of Wenner Media, as saying his staff first saw the ad copy last week, and "we are not in the business of publishing advertising for religious messages."

Lockhart said the ad features the face of a contemplative-looking young man and includes this copy:

"In a world of almost endless media noise and political spin, you wonder where you can find real truth. Well, now there's a source that's accurate, clear and reliable. It's the TNIV -- Today's New International Version of the Bible. It's written in today's language, for today's times -- and it makes more sense than ever."

Media outlets that agreed to carry the ad include Modern Bride, The Onion, MTV.com and AOL, Lockhart said. AOL, like CNN.com, is a unit of Time Warner.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:24 AM
They're Rollingstone. That's what I think of them.

I guess it's their business as to why they rejected to run this ad. In contrast, It doesn't make Rollingstone Magazine very appealing to someone like me. As a consumer, I will keep this story in mind.

This part was interesting: Media outlets that agreed to carry the ad include Modern Bride, The Onion, MTV.com and AOL, Lockhart said. AOL, like CNN.com, is a unit of Time Warner.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Doesn't suprise me one bit with Rolling Stone. I didn't bother to renew my subscription a few years ago because I got so irritated by their blatantly biased political views. Anything conservative or religious is automatically bad with their editors there. I wanna read about music, not left wing propaganda. And if they have political sections, they need to be a little more balanced.

EDIT: I forgot to mention.. They have every right to deny this ad, but I think they should be a little more open minded and tolerant of some other viepoints...but then again, this is Rolling Stone.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:24 AM
As a member of the media, I cherish an organization's right to chose which ads run in their publication. It doesn't surprise me that they chose to not run it. I also agree with IOC's comments on their political slant. It gets annoying.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
War Child

Re: Rollingstone refuses to run ad for Bible

Quote:
Originally posted by Judah
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/20/rol....ap/index.html

What d'yall think?

Rolling Stone refuses to run ad for Bible
Thursday, January 20, 2005 Posted: 8:03 AM EST (1303 GMT)

GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan (AP) -- -- Rolling Stone magazine declined to run an advertisement for a new translation of the Bible aimed at young people, the nation's largest Bible publisher said Wednesday.

Zondervan, a division of HarperCollins Publishers, bought space in the magazine months ago as part of an ad campaign for Today's New International Version, said Doug Lockhart, Zondervan's executive vice president of marketing.

"Last week, we were surprised and certainly disappointed that Rolling Stone had changed their mind and rejected our ad," he said.

A telephone message seeking comment was left Wednesday at the New York headquarters of Wenner Media LLC, publisher of Rolling Stone.

Lockhart said Zondervan, based in Grand Rapids, paid Wenner Media last July to run the ad in February, when the Bible is due on bookshelves.

On Tuesday, USA Today quoted Kent Brownridge, general manager of Wenner Media, as saying his staff first saw the ad copy last week, and "we are not in the business of publishing advertising for religious messages."

Lockhart said the ad features the face of a contemplative-looking young man and includes this copy:

"In a world of almost endless media noise and political spin, you wonder where you can find real truth. Well, now there's a source that's accurate, clear and reliable. It's the TNIV -- Today's New International Version of the Bible. It's written in today's language, for today's times -- and it makes more sense than ever."

Media outlets that agreed to carry the ad include Modern Bride, The Onion, MTV.com and AOL, Lockhart said. AOL, like CNN.com, is a unit of Time Warner.
It appears Rolling Stone would rather promote lung cancer.

Says it all really.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm even happier that I didn't renew my subscription.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
Acrobat

As someone who is annoyed by pretty much all advertising, this doesn't bother me at all. They could run ads for the Montana Militia for all I care, I'm gonna read it if I enjoy the content and I'm not gonna read it if I don't (generally I don't these days...).
Old 01-20-2005, 12:43 PM   #8
War Child

I subscribe to a few left leaning magazines like Harpers, The New Republic, and The New Yorker but they are nothing compared to absolutely blatant left wing machine that is Rolling Stone.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:24 AM

Rolling Stone has never advertised itself as unbiased and without an agenda (which at one point would have been counter-cultural, maybe), and they're perfectly free to publish whatever they want. if you don't want left-wing journalism, don't buy it.

i won't buy it because their record reviews are now for shit.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Rolling Stone has never advertised itself as unbiased and without an agenda (which at one point would have been counter-cultural, maybe), and they're perfectly free to publish whatever they want. if you don't want left-wing journalism, don't buy it.

And as one who is somewhat creeped out by religious advertising, at the same time that I respect its right to exist, I will be glad not to have to see the ad the next time I pick up RS. Of course they still have many other ads for me to be creeped out by. Oh well.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:56 PM   #11
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

The Bible ad would have been a refreshing change from all the mostly-naked pictures of young, stupid women they publish.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #12
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
The Bible ad would have been a refreshing change from all the mostly-naked pictures of young, stupid women they publish.
Says you!

[/disgusting chauvinism]
Old 01-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Well, it would have been a change anyway, though certainly not a refreshing for me. But yeah, that's basically what I meant by them having plenty of other ads that creep me out.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:12 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:24 AM
Do people go to RS looking for a good place to buy a new bible?

I think all publishers’ want ad revenue

I imagine Boy's Life would not take an ad from PFLAG.

This is just a business discussion.

This will validate for the right
that Rock and Roll is from the Devil.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:18 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Do people go to RS looking for a good place to buy a new bible?

This is just a business discussion.

I think it's probably a bit more than a pure business decision, but you're right--it's just not the right fit. I mean, to me it would be downright weird. I expect to see ads with half naked people and for cigarettes, etc. in RS, but not one for the Bible, or the Koran, or the Tao Te Ching.