Rolling Stone's "Panel Of Experts" Discusses Iraq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story?id=6185043&pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single7

Interesting tidbit..

Biden: I was in the Oval Office the other day, and the president asked me what I would do about resignations. I said, "Look, Mr. President, would I keep Rumsfeld? Absolutely not." And I turned to Vice President Cheney, who was there, and I said, "Mr. Vice President, I wouldn't keep you if it weren't constitutionally required." I turned back to the president and said, "Mr. President, Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld are bright guys, really patriotic, but they've been dead wrong on every major piece of advice they've given you. That's why I'd get rid of them, Mr. President -- not just Abu Ghraib." They said nothing. Just sat like big old bullfrogs on a log and looked at me.

I like that one:

Biden: About six months ago, the president said to me, "Well, at least I make strong decisions, I lead." I said, "Mr. President, look behind you. Leaders have followers. No one's following. Nobody."

Verry powerfull interview but i guess the "Bushlamistics" won't listen to these men and call them supporters of Terrorism

verte76 said:

That's Senator Joseph Biden of Delaware. He's been in the Senate for a long time.

Hasn't he also run for president a couple of times? If he'd been this much of a stright-talker he probably would have received a lot more votes.

Yeah, I was going to say that. He did run for president at least once, maybe twice. I remember one time he was using a fake Kennedy accent and the press tore him up for it :lol: He pulled out early in the race.

ThatGuy said:

Hasn't he also run for president a couple of times? If he'd been this much of a stright-talker he probably would have received a lot more votes.

His candidacy was nuked in late '87 by a "mini-scandal" involving a guy running the Dukakis campaign. I recall the thing damn near knocking Dukakis out of the campaign as well. I don't remember the particulars.

Perhaps someone should remind Mr. Biden that a hell of a lot more people followed Bush (including Mr. Biden) than follow Mr. Biden.

Mr. Biden was also against the use of force to remove Saddam's military from Kuwait in 1991. Perhaps he should remember that before he gets on his high horse in lecturing the Bush Administration.

ThatGuy said:
Does that make his point any less valid?

Since his point is outrages and absurd, it is helpful to be reminded of Mr. Bidens stands on these related issues in the past. Bush has had it right on the issues and Mr. Biden this time around has been supportive unlike he was with Bush's father and the first Gulf War. Mr. Biden was to use his words "dead wrong" when it came to Saddam's take over of Kuwait in 1991 and if Mr. Biden had been president back then, Saddam would still be in control of Kuwait.

Is his point outrageos because it doesn't align with yours or because no one in the administration can find a counter for his statement?

STING2 said:

Mr. Biden was to use his words "dead wrong" when it came to Saddam's take over of Kuwait in 1991 and if Mr. Biden had been president back then, Saddam would still be in control of Kuwait.

Actually it was a passive Bush 1 that allowed Saddam to take over Kuwait.

He fumbled around for weeks before he decided to raise the coalition.

Rumsfeld should be sacked and Cheney should be in jail.

Sen. Joseph Biden: I've been a senator through seven administrations, and this is by far the most divided one I've ever served with. The internal discord is rampant. It's not just Colin Powell, who has differed with Vice President Cheney at every turn. It isn't just Richard Clarke and the others on the intelligence team who have angrily defected. It's General Eric Shinseki, who was fired for telling the truth. It's Lawrence Lindsay, Bush's economic adviser, who was fired for saying the war was going to cost $200 billion. The price tag is even higher now, and still they submit a budget for 2005 without a single penny for Iraq. What in the hell is going on?

STING2 said:

Since his point is outrages and absurd, it is helpful to be reminded of Mr. Bidens stands on these related issues in the past. Bush has had it right on the issues and Mr. Biden this time around has been supportive unlike he was with Bush's father and the first Gulf War. Mr. Biden was to use his words "dead wrong" when it came to Saddam's take over of Kuwait in 1991 and if Mr. Biden had been president back then, Saddam would still be in control of Kuwait.

So you're saying that since Biden was wrong about Gulf War I then he must also be wrong about Gulf War II? By that logic you could say that since he was dead wrong in opposing Gulf War I, then he must have also been dead wrong in initially supporting Gulf War II. Or is he only wrong when he says something that you don't agree with?

Last edited:
He is also a repected member of the Judiciary Commitee among others. That is one commitee that works without much partisanship.

I loved his force in telling Ashcroft that we don't torture so that when our troops are captured they aren't tortured. He said "my son", who is being deployed to Iraq.

I didn't know his son was in/going to Iraq..that's interesting Scarletwine

I'm just still trying to grasp the concept that Bush actually asked for his opinion..:wink:

And I can't get the image out of my head of Bush and Cheney looking like bullfrogs :D

Last edited:
Hehehe, that Biden guy looks about ready to kick Ashcroft's ass.

I wonder what's in those memo's though, does Ashcroft really get away with this?

Back
Top Bottom