Roe from Roe V. Wade Files Motion to Overturn Ruling - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2003, 12:51 AM   #31
She's the One

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
I've no wishes to control any one's body or decide any of the issues presented in Roe v. Wade
~U2Alabama
I know. I wasn't talking to you, Bama.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:54 AM   #32
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

A person's "rights" end when they infringe on another person's "rights".
Just like when you try to make my decisions for me. You have no rights when it comes to my internal organs or the functions of them. Period. The end.

Old 06-19-2003, 01:33 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:35 AM
Martha, if you had a siamese twin, should you be allowed to murder her? If not, why not? Shouldn't you have the right to do with your own internal organs as you please?
Old 06-19-2003, 01:54 AM   #34
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Just a friendly reminder, as we are all fully aware, this is a controversial topic which may have a personal significance to some. Please lets keep that in mind when we put forward our views.

On another note, 80's - Martha has never once said anywhere that she condones murder. Murder being the killing of a fully developed human, adult or otherwise. Her views are the polar opposite to yours on this, and while you may see it as murder in abortion, others dont. To imply someone is a murderer can be highly offensive. I'm trying to play devil's advocate as I'm sure the contrary view is somewhat (perhaps more than somewhat) offensive to you.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:59 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Angela, you're right that I did not take into consideration that it may have personal significance for some. But it cuts both ways. Maybe there is a reason I am so opposed to abortion, and maybe that causes me to take offense at the view of a living human child as simply a mother's "internal organs". No one would know that, unless I stated it.

If it came across as me calling somone a murderer, I am sorry. I do not wish to call anyone a murderer, and I don't believe I did. However, abortion is a big problem in this country, and I see abortion as murder, so how can I call it something else? It's not the first time I have said it, and others have said it. I do not agree with your opinion that murder is "the killing of a fully developed human, adult or otherwise". That's not in my dictionary.

I think that if both sides of the argument are not allowed to freely express their opinion on this subject in this forum, abortion should not even be allowed to be talked about.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:18 AM   #36
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:35 PM
80's I understand completely that there are definately 2 ways to be offended in a topic like this. I know what you are saying. Fwiw the comment about "the killing of a fully developed human, adult or otherwise" was in regard to your example with siamese twins. Not about aborting an unborn fetus, which was in response to what Martha had been saying in here. I dont want to drag this on, but I hope what I meant is clearer. Your views cant be wrong, I dont think anyone's can be, especially when someone's views are based on a very personal experience. Just like those who support it, those who are against it can have their own painful reasons for it to be how or why they view it like that. Its a topic that can rarely be discussed without emotion coming into play.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:52 PM   #37
She's the One

Quote:
However, abortion is a big problem in this country, and I see abortion as murder, so how can I call it something else? I
The key words here are "I see." If you see abortion as that, then you are entitled to your opinion. I will absolutely defend your right to your opinion. However, when you try to enforce your opinions as laws that affect my body, that's where I draw the line.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:53 PM   #38
She's the One

Thank you, Angela, for your defense of me and my opinions. I appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:22 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Just like when you try to make my decisions for me. You have no rights when it comes to my internal organs or the functions of them. Period. The end.
right on
Old 06-19-2003, 03:22 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

The key words here are "I see." If you see abortion as that, then you are entitled to your opinion. I will absolutely defend your right to your opinion. However, when you try to enforce your opinions as laws that affect my body, that's where I draw the line.
Martha, there are all kinds of laws that affect your body, like
anti-prostituion laws, drug laws, etc. Would you like to do away with all those?

Besides, if that fetus is a living human being, then "choice" affects him/her also. Are you prepared to say that there should be no laws that affect your body, even if it means killing another life?
Old 06-19-2003, 03:42 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:35 AM
Quote:
Martha, there are all kinds of laws that affect your body, like
anti-prostituion laws, drug laws, etc. Would you like to do away with all those?

Besides, if that fetus is a living human being, then "choice" affects him/her also. Are you prepared to say that there should be no laws that affect your body, even if it means killing another life?
Anti-prostitution laws and drug laws are not laws that regulate your body. A woman can have sex with whomever she seems fit, but cannot solicit herself, has nothing to do with her body. And drug laws legislate selling and pocession not use. So that argument won't stand.

The second argument is one that will probably be argued until the end of existence. Even you say "if that fetus is a living human being". With that you are assuming everyone believes this to be true, but not everyone does therefore not everyone believes it's "killing" another life.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:59 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

And drug laws legislate selling and pocession not use. So that argument won't stand.
Not true. I used to work for a police department. Illegal drug usage is illegal. Public Intox is illegal, also, even if you don't have the alcohol in hand.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:01 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

The second argument is one that will probably be argued until the end of existence. Even you say "if that fetus is a living human being". With that you are assuming everyone believes this to be true, but not everyone does therefore not everyone believes it's "killing" another life.
Do non-living human beings suck their thumbs?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:07 PM   #44
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Not true. I used to work for a police department. Illegal drug usage is illegal. Public Intox is illegal, also, even if you don't have the alcohol in hand.
So you could arrest an individual for drug use in their own home, without pocession, disturbance, etc.? Public intoxication is not legislation to control that persons body, it's the control of someone's behavior.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:10 PM   #45
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Do non-living human beings suck their thumbs?
Sucking one's thumb does not make it human.