Rockers unite to oust Bush - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:41 PM
Rockers unite to oust Bush

From Rolling Stone (read the rest of the article here):

Quote:
Bruce Springsteen told a crowd of 50,000 New Yorkers on October 4th to "shout a little louder if you want the president impeached." Two weeks later, John Mellencamp posted an open letter to America on his Web site, declaring, "We have been lied to and terrorized by our own government, and it is time to take action." Meanwhile, Moby, Eddie Vedder and Michael Stipe are organizing a TV-ad campaign that will run anti-Bush commercials during the week of the State of the Union address in January; Dave Matthews is railing against the war in Iraq in interviews; and at press time, at least three multiband rock tours planned to take aim at Bush-administration policies. Green Day, NOFX, Tom Morello, Dixie Chicks, Don Henley, Willie Nelson and Steve Earle have all played (or plan to play) for political candidates or causes. Hip-hop stars have also gotten involved. "We have a voice and a responsibility to speak out," says Jay-Z, a member of Russell Simmons' Hip-Hop Summit, which aims to register 4 million voters before the 2004 election. "People listen to us."

Old 12-04-2003, 11:41 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:41 AM
i have a feeling bush is actually going to gain from this anti-bushism. the more you become anti-bush, the more decisive people who support bush or are undecided become.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:03 AM   #3
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
i have a feeling bush is actually going to gain from this anti-bushism. the more you become anti-bush, the more decisive people who support bush or are undecided become.
lol....

Umm, I think it really depends on who's talking and what they're saying. If you have the Dixie Chicks throwing up dumb soundbites it's one thing, but if you have American 'legends' like Bruce Springsteen and Willie Nelson, people will listen.
If some d*ck like Fred Durst or whoever opened their mouth and spat out an incoherent summary of the one paragraph of a Michael Moore interview they've read then it does more harm then good - "Aah, it's like, totally about oil."

People like Eddie Vedder, Michael Stipe and especially Bono, can put together extremely convincing, emotional, intelligent arguments and that will have an effect against Bush. You all know how good Bono is at it, and the effect he can have. If Bush shafts him on AIDS/Drop the Debt, he'll throw his olive branch to the Right out the window and he'll give Bush hell to 80,000 people all the way through a summer stadium tour leading almost right up to the election. You know he'd do it, and you know people would listen.

Sheer numbers of influential artists against Bush will do it as well. Especially with an under 30 vote.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:29 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Bruce Springsteen = Rocker
Meloncamp = Rocker
Old 12-05-2003, 08:46 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Many people booed at the Bruce shows I went to when he made statements about Bush or the Franken book. He talked about impeachment only at the end of the tour. I guess he figured it was time then to go all out

Many people also complained/were negative about Bruce's political statements on msg boards. I don't really care what actors, musicians etc. say about politics, as long as they are well informed and their motives are pure.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:36 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

if you're looking for bono to pick sides in this election you could be looking for a long time
Old 12-05-2003, 10:50 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:41 PM

This lady interviewed Bono before and they seemed to really like eachother
Old 12-05-2003, 10:57 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

eddie vedder makes it harder and harder for me to be a pearl jam fan every day

i love springsteen as well... but i think the american skin fiasco in new york proved that even he can't convince his fans if it's something they don't believe in.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:27 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
[Bhe can't convince his fans if it's something they don't believe in. [/B]
Old 12-05-2003, 12:49 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I agree that rockers can't change votes. They may be able to motivate more to register to vote but they can't tell people what to do with their votes. I think Bono realizes this and is not going to take sides in the 2004 election. No question he *will* talk about Africa and it could be a campaign issue. The most partisan thing Bono will ever say is "whoever writes the biggest check". If they're proposing equal-sized checks by that point forget it.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:53 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

bono won't say anything because his organizations will have to deal with whoever wins... so if he takes sides, and the other person wins, the other side might not be as open to working with bono as they would be if he didn't take any sides
Old 12-05-2003, 01:04 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
bono won't say anything because his organizations will have to deal with whoever wins... so if he takes sides, and the other person wins, the other side might not be as open to working with bono as they would be if he didn't take any sides
Absolutely. The campaign is going on now, and he's respectfully working with the Bush Administration in the U.S. and Martin in Canada and whoever is in office elsewhere. We pick the office holders, he works with them.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:16 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Absolutely. We pick the office holders, he works with them.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:26 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:

i love springsteen as well... but i think the american skin fiasco in new york

what is this about?
Old 12-06-2003, 04:27 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

TylerDurden,

Most U2 fans are over 30 and considering the reaction that Eddie Vedder got for some of his comments, I don't think casting a U2 tour into an Anti-Bush tour would be a good idea. That would offend way to many of U2's audiance here in the USA.

Most people in the USA like Bush and if U2 is doing a stadium tour, their going to need to do everything they can to fill up the seats at the back. Extreme political stances won't achieve that.