Rock Royalty to Join Voices Against Bush With Fall Concerts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-concert25jul25,1,640852,print.story?coll=la-headlines-nation

Musicians will perform in swing states to try to affect election. Playing for a cause is a tradition, but injecting political views can be risky.

By Geoff Boucher
Times Staff Writer

July 25, 2004

Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, R.E.M., Pearl Jam and a deep roster of other rock stars will unite for politically minded concerts this fall that will give voice to dissatisfaction with the Bush administration.

The all-star rock shows, which are expected to begin in October and target campaign swing states, are in the planning stage but were confirmed by half a dozen music industry sources who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Insiders disagree on the unifying rhythm of the celebrity coalition. Some say it is the promise of the John F. Kerry candidacy, but at least one emphasizes the fear of President Bush's reelection. "There is a range of feeling about Kerry," the source said, "but a uniform belief that Bush must go."

The tour turns up the volume of the rock scene's role in politics, but it is not the only example of an apparent surge of commentary among artists. Rockers seem virtually unanimous in their anti-Bush stance, just as country music has seen a wave of passionate patriotism and support for the president, exemplified by the songs of Toby Keith.

MTV has been showing a video by the British dance-pop outfit Faithless that features a teen shipped off to Iraq only to return home wounded and disillusioned. Representing a different generation, Tom Waits and John Fogerty have recorded songs about Iraq. For Waits, it's the first political song of his four-decade career; for Fogerty, it's a return to his Vietnam-era songs such as "Who'll Stop the Rain."

Elsewhere, rapper Sean "P. Diddy" Combs is steering a new voter registration drive, and the usually bratty punk-pop band Green Day has said its next album will be a political concept piece. Steve Earle has a new album laced with songs about Iraq and Bush and even a mocking valentine to national security advisor Condoleezza Rice. Blues player Keb Mo has an upcoming album of peace songs, including John Lennon's "Imagine" and Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth."

Introducing political commentary into music is sometimes a risky prospect ? even if it's just a passing reference.

Last weekend, Linda Ronstadt was booed in Las Vegas for praising a Bush nemesis, filmmaker Michael Moore, while Ozzy Osbourne relented to critics and removed concert imagery that showed Bush and Hitler together on an overhead screen.

The countercultural mind-set and recklessness once at the core of rock music now seem relegated to the distant past, Elton John told Interview magazine. He said that protest had often given way to strict careerism in this corporate age.

"There's an atmosphere of fear in America right now, and that is deadly," John said. "Everyone is too career-conscious. They're all too scared?. Things have changed."

Tom Morello, guitarist with Rage Against the Machine and once a staffer to the late California Democratic Sen. Alan Cranston, is a veteran of politics-meets-rock. "I'm not surprised you're seeing this music being made, and I'm not surprised it's connecting with an audience," he said. "It's not just people who write songs ? carpenters, teachers, everyone is ready for a regime change."

Morello was cited by some sources as a probable participant in the concert series, but he declined to confirm plans for the shows.

No album or song is likely to capture as much media attention as the concerts involving Springsteen in swing states, which are expected to take place in arenas.

Organizers have been tight-lipped since discussions of the idea caught the ears of some of the stars in April. At the end of last week, the formal announcement was scheduled for Aug. 4 in New York.

Other artists expected to join the lineup include Earle, the Dave Matthews Band, the Dixie Chicks, Bright Eyes, Ani DiFranco, Death Cab for Cutie and International Noise Conspiracy. There also are reports that Bob Dylan and James Taylor may be part of the bill.

The shows reportedly will benefit several organizations, chief among them MoveOn.org, the advocacy group that champions a liberal agenda through Web-based grass-roots efforts.

All-star concerts to raise money for philanthropic or political causes have become a tradition. The template goes back to 1971 with George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh and the no-nukes shows of 1980 that featured Springsteen and such artists as Taylor, Jackson Browne and Carly Simon.

Organizers have tried to keep the fall shows under wraps to spotlight the official announcement. Springsteen's manager, Jon Landau, declined to discuss the shows, and Young's manager, Elliot Roberts, did not return calls. When Bertis Downs, who manages R.E.M., was asked about the band's fundraising plans, he replied, "I can't talk about that."

R.E.M became one of the first bands to criticize the war in Iraq when it posted a song on its website in March 2003, the month of the invasion.

Others now joining the critical chorus include the Beastie Boys, a Perfect Circle and Jay Farrar, the alternative-country rocker who said Saturday that he resisted political messages in the past because the topic didn't fit his sensibilities.

But now, he said, he would feel derelict if he didn't speak up. "And there will be a lot more artists doing the same thing if Bush gets reelected."

I certaintly don't begrudge anyone their own viewpoint or opinion of our current president, but a concert of artists coming together to basically let Bush know "we don't like you" seems such a waste of time when compared with other causes they could be championing. What do they hope to accomplish? I imagine the Bush-haters are going to be cheering them on while the Bush-lovers are going to be shaking their heads in dissaproval and the undecided will most likely still be undecided when all is said and done.

I agree with maude that this will essentially be preaching to the converted.

However, I think what it comes down to is that this election may be so close that the deciding factor will be voter turnout. And since the target audience of a lot of these sorts of things (concerts, the P.Diddy thing) are young people who generally do not vote as a majority, the hope is that some of them who don't like Bush will be convinced to go to the polling stations in November.

I don't really like musicians giving wide open and obvious support for one side or another. I prefer them sending a message, without spelling it out, naming a name etc. It's not smart for them, it can really backfire, no matter how right they are. At the same time, they shouldn't be afraid to if thats what they want. The Dixie Chick reaction was just pathetic.

However, I think all these bands really need to do is just push voter turn out among youth. I'm sure that youth vote majority Democrat anyway. Just push them to vote and you'll get the result you want.

Can I also just say that Toby Keith performs some of the most vile 'music' ever recorded.

I hope people will just vote. Personally I am a Kerry supporter, but I'd rather people voted and voted for Bush than not voting at all. I just want to see a really good turnout on Election Day.

Verte is right. C'mon people just get out there and vote!! Even if it is something like the Constitution Party or some random libertarian. I just hope people do not base their opinion on what their favorite celebrity says. Get out there, investigate the issues on both sides and then make up your mind. If your guy/gal loses, hey, it's not the end of the world. Try again next time.:wink:

anitram said:
And since the target audience of a lot of these sorts of things (concerts, the P.Diddy thing) are young people who generally do not vote as a majority, the hope is that some of them who don't like Bush will be convinced to go to the polling stations in November.

I agree. It did occur to me after I'd posted that this concert might get some fans of these artists more politically aware and willing to go out a vote, which of course would be great no matter who they decide to vote for. It's such a tragedy in our country that so many people don't excercise their right to choose their leaders, a right that so many in this world would love to have, and a right which many have died fighting to protect.

Ho. Ly. Crap. If'n this is true, I'm gonna pee my pants. I'm in a swing state surrounded by swing states.

It definitely isn't the best career move to openly support any politician. If these people care at all about your career they would realize that they have fans on both sides of the spectrum (for example, I remember reading that Jon Bon Jovi wore a Gore-Liberman t-shirt during one of his concerts this past year). It also opens them up to ridicule because they may not come across as the most intelligent people ever (i.e Ozzy Osbourne and his Hitler photo). It annoys me when some of these artists are mad because people complain about their politics and then refuse to buy their CD's watch their movies..etc. You have the right to say what you want and we have the right to stop buying your things!

Damn. I feel sorry for conservatives who write off musicians because of their political leanings. They'll have no good music to listen to.

Last edited:
Yeah, with the audience thing, (losing support for backing a particular politician) they'd know they were doing that, so I guess that's up to them. I was referring more to the 'smarts'. There are people like say Bono or Chuck D who would have no problem backing up their actions with intelligent thoughts, but for the majority.....

Overall I think it's best to put a message across that makes people think and make a choice, not shove a direct belief down peoples throats.

achtung_zoo said:
I remember reading that Jon Bon Jovi wore a Gore-Liberman t-shirt during one of his concerts this past year).

Well, just because some of his fans may not agree with his political views, that doesn't mean that he shouldn't continue to support a particular politician.

Originally posted by achtung_zoo
It annoys me when some of these artists are mad because people complain about their politics and then refuse to buy their CD's watch their movies..etc. You have the right to say what you want and we have the right to stop buying your things!

Very true-you definitely do have that right. I think the main problem artists have with that, though, is that people are willing to just drop their support of their favorite artist simply because they don't agree with their political views. And personally, I find that to be kinda silly, too-geez, my dad doesn't always agree with what Ted Nugent says, but he's still a fan of his music.

But again, though, you're right about being entitled to not buy an artist's things if you don't agree with their views.

Angela

I think artists have the right to their views. Hell, I'm an artist, although I'm a visual artist and I'm not famous. I think I have the right to my views. Because I'm not famous and only discuss politics in the "right" places, where I won't piss anyone off, no one on God's green earth is going to know what they are unless I want them to. But I think these famous artists are just as entitled to their opinions as I am. I don't have to agree with them, and there are some out there that I'm not going to agree with. That's fine with me.

Everyone has opinions and the proverbial, ominpresent 'right' to them of course. But it seems in cases like this that some people think their opinion is more important, or more correct, because they are famous. Anyway, I'd rather see a concert being "for" something than "against." The negativity reeks of witch hunts and tar and feather mentality.

I don't particularly think that this wave should be encouraged. Are 'artists' entitled to their opinion? Most certainly. But there are ways of expressing them and there are ways of expressing them.

By definition, an artist will pretty much express himself (or herself), and that may encompass everything. But there is a different, I think, between their profession, namely their art, and their opinions. I think famous people, particularly 'artists' have a responsiblity to choose their fights carefully and to not necessarily mouth off whenever they feel an injustice - it should be something they have to pay for their celebrity. No, I'm not saying that they shouldn't voice their opinion, but to start a huge campaign that relies mostly on their influence and celebrity within the community really does lend itself a bit to opportunism.

No, I didn't like it when Britney Spears, perhaps the pop star nearest to resembling a potato in her wit, said that we should all stop criticising Bush and learn to trust him whole-heartedly, and I don't like it when I see the likes of P.Diddy, one of the most prominent rap stars who has worked overtime to resemble the type of low-lifes you see in 'Bad Cops', starts a crusade against Bush, either. I am picking on these two particular 'artists' because it makes my point relatively clear - they are stupid and other stupid people are going to follow them for stupid reasons.

Choosing a president should be based on an informed and, if possible, cultured opinion - not following a celebrity that may or may not have a chromasome in their entire family.

Ant.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
No, I didn't like it when Britney Spears, perhaps the pop star nearest to resembling a potato in her wit, said that we should all stop criticising Bush and learn to trust him whole-heartedly, and I don't like it when I see the likes of P.Diddy, one of the most prominent rap stars who has worked overtime to resemble the type of low-lifes you see in 'Bad Cops', starts a crusade against Bush, either. I am picking on these two particular 'artists' because it makes my point relatively clear - they are stupid and other stupid people are going to follow them for stupid reasons.

Not to nitpick too much here, but P. Diddy isn't crusading against Bush, AFAIK. He is trying to convince people to register themselves to vote, but he is not influencing them who to vote for. Instead of a Rock The Vote thing (which U2 contributed to in 1992) you can call it Puff The Vote, or something like that. :)

C ya!

Marty (who has a bit more respect for Sean Combs since he completed the NY marathon for charity this year)

Alright, alright Marty, I give you that one. But you have to admit, the man is certainly putting his influence to good use.

As for the marathon thing, after consuming so many drugs as Mr. Combs has, I would have recommended nothing less to his poorly abused veins.

Ant.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Well, just because some of his fans may not agree with his political views, that doesn't mean that he shouldn't continue to support a particular politician.

I agree with you there, I still listen to Bruce Springsteen and Dave Matthews because they happen to be exceptionaly good artists, but other 'borderline' fans may have stopped listening to them. As for Bon Jovi wearing a Gore T-Shirt, I didnt think it was the best thing to to at one of his own concerts. Im not a Bon jovi fan but If Springsteen or another artist I like would have done something like that, It would have deifnety made the concert less enjoyable.

Of course no one is stopping them from speaking their mind, but openly pushing one person is risky. I admide Bono's political stance. He doesn't seem to favor anyone in particular. He was friendly towards both Clinton and Bush, something few people seem able to do.

achtung_zoo said:

I agree with you there, I still listen to Bruce Springsteen and Dave Matthews because they happen to be exceptionaly good artists, but other 'borderline' fans may have stopped listening to them. As for Bon Jovi wearing a Gore T-Shirt, I didnt think it was the best thing to to at one of his own concerts. Im not a Bon jovi fan but If Springsteen or another artist I like would have done something like that, It would have deifnety made the concert less enjoyable.

Of course no one is stopping them from speaking their mind, but openly pushing one person is risky. I admide Bono's political stance. He doesn't seem to favor anyone in particular. He was friendly towards both Clinton and Bush, something few people seem able to do.

He's practically the only person I know of of whom that's true.

I don't really care what other people do to support or not support other people, but I'll be damned if I'm ever defined by who I'm NOT, who I'm AGAINST, instead of who I am and what I stand for.

I do believe that activist, or semi-activists {like myself] should pickou battles carefully. There is only so much time to go around at any given period.

That being said.....I believe any artistic/creative person has the right to voice their opinions. I hate that some people think that artistics should just "shut up and play".

i also hate the stereotype that proclaims that artists/creative people are 'dumb' outside the range of their given talent(s). :madspit:

However the creative person {or anyone} should do some research and/or draw on personal experiences of themselves/friends & family, sound intelligent and try to stick at first to things you feel real empathy/concern for, know about {in the sense that it's certainly better to not look like a <sp>dilletant on things- because you can be more easily be dismissed by others}. Then, expansd your learning on other issues.

I'm personally thrilled that Bruce going to do this!! :applaud: :dance: :dance:

Even if I can't go-- alot of the point of these artists doing this is- not so much to to change minds as to raise the money for other orgainizations to chANGE MINDS/GET OUT THE VOTE/ MAYBE & MAYBE ADD MORE TRAINED/OR PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO W oops pinky slip, watch our for electronic vote fraud, illegally conjuring up requirements at the door {so to speak} to be allowed to vote, or even setting up partial roadblocks to scare people off from even getting to their voting place!.

these last 2 examples were partcularly directed at african & Latino-Americans in 2000!

I will/have dimminished or stop my listening/veiwing/reading a partucular creative person if a certain amount of their views are ##really## an an anthema to me (really deep issues), or that I felt they threaten me or others I care about because of how that person in there politicals views/who they support will affect me/others in directly down the line. I do have had conversations on such issues when I can (and able to keep my anger in check).

ANyway -- any of you who do go, reports & photos please :D!!!

Last edited:
EvolutionMonkey said:
I'm glad Springsteen is getting out there and voicing his opinion on the democrats side. I wonder if conservatives will stop listening to him now. :confused: :D

I'm a Springsteen fan and a Republican. After the election I will be a Springteen fan and a Republican.

I would guess that the majority of music fans could care less about their favorite artists' views.

Oh, and I probably will do my very best to attend one of these concert/rallies in October, then cast my vote for Bush in November.

Clark W. Griswold said:

I'm a Springsteen fan and a Republican. After the election I will be a Springteen fan and a Republican.

I would guess that the majority of music fans could care less about their favorite artists' views.

Oh, and I probably will do my very best to attend one of these concert/rallies in October, then cast my vote for Bush in November.

After you cast your vote will you and the family be travelling to Wally World ? :D

dazzledbylight said:

That being said.....I believe any artistic/creative person has the right to voice their opinions. I hate that some people think that artistics should just "shut up and play".

Unless of course your name is Toby Keith or Gene Simmons...

Hey, I understand the artists have rights and all (the Good Lord knows how often they remind you that they have them), but most of them spout off their views as a means to draw more attention to themselves.

I have to side with the consumer here. I personally don't buy music and concert tickets to here what the artist thinks. If their views are conveyed thru their art,(Bullet the Blue Sky, Do the Evolution, etc.) that's one thing. Madonna stopping her show to kiss Michael Moore's fat ass is quite another.

i also hate the stereotype that proclaims that artists/creative people are 'dumb' outside the range of their given talent(s)

Yes, I've witnessed the overwhelming intellectual brilliance of Eddie Vedder first hand a few times. I especially like the way he pours himself into a drunken stupor and wipes his ass with a Bush mask during his performances. Yeah, he was a Rhodes Scholar.
Love his music though...

Kidding aside, I'm sure some of these artists could easily have excelled in other professions, but if they were, say, a dentist or a CPA would we stop and listen to what they had to say??

Clark W. Griswold said:

most of them spout off their views as a means to draw more attention to themselves.

CWG...
I try to be careful to follow an artist when they espose their views. Do they stick to an issue {vs "cause of the week"}for some time? Do they sound like they know what they're talking about? Can they draw lines to other similar or conected issueswhich can further help thier listener's interest?

personally don't buy music and concert tickets to here what the artist thinks. If their views are conveyed thru their art ...... ....Madonna stopping her show to kiss Michael Moore's fat ass is quite another.

I don't mind if an artist takes time to talk about their causes. IF i don't like it, then I'll either stop seeing the artist live, or take a fsnack or bathroom break. :D

Kidding aside, I'm sure some of these artists could easily have excelled in other professions, but if they were, say, a dentist or a CPA would we stop and listen to what they had to say??

I meant more like.......#not# whether they'd be in another profession, but have the concern/intellegence to study up, learn well about other interests they have.
SO that if those interests are 'in trouble', lack of funding, threat of elimination, etc...they have the intellegence to speak out upon them.

I'm an artist.
I've also been a office/accounting clerical worker, a commercial artist etc, but I can speak intellegently on such issues as the environment, corporate issues, solar & renewable engery sources, racism in the United States, organic food and eating more vegitarion & vegan style, animal factory-farming and some on cultures around the world.

I've just done the reading & listening, questioning, and visiting (when possible)places where these interests are expounded on/experienced over the decades.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom