Rock Royalty to Join Voices Against Bush With Fall Concerts - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2004, 09:09 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:34 PM
I think artists have the right to their views. Hell, I'm an artist, although I'm a visual artist and I'm not famous. I think I have the right to my views. Because I'm not famous and only discuss politics in the "right" places, where I won't piss anyone off, no one on God's green earth is going to know what they are unless I want them to. But I think these famous artists are just as entitled to their opinions as I am. I don't have to agree with them, and there are some out there that I'm not going to agree with. That's fine with me.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:23 AM   #17
Acrobat

Everyone has opinions and the proverbial, ominpresent 'right' to them of course. But it seems in cases like this that some people think their opinion is more important, or more correct, because they are famous. Anyway, I'd rather see a concert being "for" something than "against." The negativity reeks of witch hunts and tar and feather mentality.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:01 AM   #18
Refugee

I don't particularly think that this wave should be encouraged. Are 'artists' entitled to their opinion? Most certainly. But there are ways of expressing them and there are ways of expressing them.

By definition, an artist will pretty much express himself (or herself), and that may encompass everything. But there is a different, I think, between their profession, namely their art, and their opinions. I think famous people, particularly 'artists' have a responsiblity to choose their fights carefully and to not necessarily mouth off whenever they feel an injustice - it should be something they have to pay for their celebrity. No, I'm not saying that they shouldn't voice their opinion, but to start a huge campaign that relies mostly on their influence and celebrity within the community really does lend itself a bit to opportunism.

No, I didn't like it when Britney Spears, perhaps the pop star nearest to resembling a potato in her wit, said that we should all stop criticising Bush and learn to trust him whole-heartedly, and I don't like it when I see the likes of P.Diddy, one of the most prominent rap stars who has worked overtime to resemble the type of low-lifes you see in 'Bad Cops', starts a crusade against Bush, either. I am picking on these two particular 'artists' because it makes my point relatively clear - they are stupid and other stupid people are going to follow them for stupid reasons.

Choosing a president should be based on an informed and, if possible, cultured opinion - not following a celebrity that may or may not have a chromasome in their entire family.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 07-26-2004, 10:52 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
No, I didn't like it when Britney Spears, perhaps the pop star nearest to resembling a potato in her wit, said that we should all stop criticising Bush and learn to trust him whole-heartedly, and I don't like it when I see the likes of P.Diddy, one of the most prominent rap stars who has worked overtime to resemble the type of low-lifes you see in 'Bad Cops', starts a crusade against Bush, either. I am picking on these two particular 'artists' because it makes my point relatively clear - they are stupid and other stupid people are going to follow them for stupid reasons.
Not to nitpick too much here, but P. Diddy isn't crusading against Bush, AFAIK. He is trying to convince people to register themselves to vote, but he is not influencing them who to vote for. Instead of a Rock The Vote thing (which U2 contributed to in 1992) you can call it Puff The Vote, or something like that.

C ya!

Marty (who has a bit more respect for Sean Combs since he completed the NY marathon for charity this year)
Old 07-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #20
Refugee

Alright, alright Marty, I give you that one. But you have to admit, the man is certainly putting his influence to good use.

As for the marathon thing, after consuming so many drugs as Mr. Combs has, I would have recommended nothing less to his poorly abused veins.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 07-26-2004, 02:01 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Well, just because some of his fans may not agree with his political views, that doesn't mean that he shouldn't continue to support a particular politician.

I agree with you there, I still listen to Bruce Springsteen and Dave Matthews because they happen to be exceptionaly good artists, but other 'borderline' fans may have stopped listening to them. As for Bon Jovi wearing a Gore T-Shirt, I didnt think it was the best thing to to at one of his own concerts. Im not a Bon jovi fan but If Springsteen or another artist I like would have done something like that, It would have deifnety made the concert less enjoyable.

Of course no one is stopping them from speaking their mind, but openly pushing one person is risky. I admide Bono's political stance. He doesn't seem to favor anyone in particular. He was friendly towards both Clinton and Bush, something few people seem able to do.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:35 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by achtung_zoo

I agree with you there, I still listen to Bruce Springsteen and Dave Matthews because they happen to be exceptionaly good artists, but other 'borderline' fans may have stopped listening to them. As for Bon Jovi wearing a Gore T-Shirt, I didnt think it was the best thing to to at one of his own concerts. Im not a Bon jovi fan but If Springsteen or another artist I like would have done something like that, It would have deifnety made the concert less enjoyable.

Of course no one is stopping them from speaking their mind, but openly pushing one person is risky. I admide Bono's political stance. He doesn't seem to favor anyone in particular. He was friendly towards both Clinton and Bush, something few people seem able to do.
He's practically the only person I know of of whom that's true.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I don't really care what other people do to support or not support other people, but I'll be damned if I'm ever defined by who I'm NOT, who I'm AGAINST, instead of who I am and what I stand for.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:09 PM   #24
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by achtung_zoo

I admide Bono's political stance.
Whoops! Thats supposed to say ADMIRE.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:50 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

I do believe that activist, or semi-activists {like myself] should pickou battles carefully. There is only so much time to go around at any given period.

That being said.....I believe any artistic/creative person has the right to voice their opinions. I hate that some people think that artistics should just "shut up and play".

i also hate the stereotype that proclaims that artists/creative people are 'dumb' outside the range of their given talent(s).

However the creative person {or anyone} should do some research and/or draw on personal experiences of themselves/friends & family, sound intelligent and try to stick at first to things you feel real empathy/concern for, know about {in the sense that it's certainly better to not look like a <sp>dilletant on things- because you can be more easily be dismissed by others}. Then, expansd your learning on other issues.

I'm personally thrilled that Bruce going to do this!!

Even if I can't go-- alot of the point of these artists doing this is- not so much to to change minds as to raise the money for other orgainizations to chANGE MINDS/GET OUT THE VOTE/ MAYBE & MAYBE ADD MORE TRAINED/OR PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO W oops pinky slip, watch our for electronic vote fraud, illegally conjuring up requirements at the door {so to speak} to be allowed to vote, or even setting up partial roadblocks to scare people off from even getting to their voting place!.

these last 2 examples were partcularly directed at african & Latino-Americans in 2000!

I will/have dimminished or stop my listening/veiwing/reading a partucular creative person if a certain amount of their views are ##really## an an anthema to me (really deep issues), or that I felt they threaten me or others I care about because of how that person in there politicals views/who they support will affect me/others in directly down the line. I do have had conversations on such issues when I can (and able to keep my anger in check).

ANyway -- any of you who do go, reports & photos please !!!
Old 07-29-2004, 03:33 AM   #26
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by EvolutionMonkey
I'm glad Springsteen is getting out there and voicing his opinion on the democrats side. I wonder if conservatives will stop listening to him now.
I'm a Springsteen fan and a Republican. After the election I will be a Springteen fan and a Republican.

I would guess that the majority of music fans could care less about their favorite artists' views.

Oh, and I probably will do my very best to attend one of these concert/rallies in October, then cast my vote for Bush in November.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:09 AM   #27
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold, Jr

I'm a Springsteen fan and a Republican. After the election I will be a Springteen fan and a Republican.

I would guess that the majority of music fans could care less about their favorite artists' views.

Oh, and I probably will do my very best to attend one of these concert/rallies in October, then cast my vote for Bush in November.
After you cast your vote will you and the family be travelling to Wally World ?
Old 07-29-2004, 06:15 AM   #28
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzledbylight

That being said.....I believe any artistic/creative person has the right to voice their opinions. I hate that some people think that artistics should just "shut up and play".
Unless of course your name is Toby Keith or Gene Simmons...

Hey, I understand the artists have rights and all (the Good Lord knows how often they remind you that they have them), but most of them spout off their views as a means to draw more attention to themselves.

I have to side with the consumer here. I personally don't buy music and concert tickets to here what the artist thinks. If their views are conveyed thru their art,(Bullet the Blue Sky, Do the Evolution, etc.) that's one thing. Madonna stopping her show to kiss Michael Moore's fat ass is quite another.

Quote:
i also hate the stereotype that proclaims that artists/creative people are 'dumb' outside the range of their given talent(s)

Yes, I've witnessed the overwhelming intellectual brilliance of Eddie Vedder first hand a few times. I especially like the way he pours himself into a drunken stupor and wipes his ass with a Bush mask during his performances. Yeah, he was a Rhodes Scholar.
Love his music though...

Kidding aside, I'm sure some of these artists could easily have excelled in other professions, but if they were, say, a dentist or a CPA would we stop and listen to what they had to say??
Old 07-29-2004, 06:18 AM   #29
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by EvolutionMonkey

After you cast your vote will you and the family be travelling to Wally World ?
Nah, Im going to visit the world's largest pile of mud.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:23 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold, Jr

most of them spout off their views as a means to draw more attention to themselves.
CWG...
I try to be careful to follow an artist when they espose their views. Do they stick to an issue {vs "cause of the week"}for some time? Do they sound like they know what they're talking about? Can they draw lines to other similar or conected issueswhich can further help thier listener's interest?

Quote:
personally don't buy music and concert tickets to here what the artist thinks. If their views are conveyed thru their art ...... ....Madonna stopping her show to kiss Michael Moore's fat ass is quite another.

I don't mind if an artist takes time to talk about their causes. IF i don't like it, then I'll either stop seeing the artist live, or take a fsnack or bathroom break.

Quote:
Kidding aside, I'm sure some of these artists could easily have excelled in other professions, but if they were, say, a dentist or a CPA would we stop and listen to what they had to say??
I meant more like.......#not# whether they'd be in another profession, but have the concern/intellegence to study up, learn well about other interests they have.
SO that if those interests are 'in trouble', lack of funding, threat of elimination, etc...they have the intellegence to speak out upon them.

I'm an artist.
I've also been a office/accounting clerical worker, a commercial artist etc, but I can speak intellegently on such issues as the environment, corporate issues, solar & renewable engery sources, racism in the United States, organic food and eating more vegitarion & vegan style, animal factory-farming and some on cultures around the world.

I've just done the reading & listening, questioning, and visiting (when possible)places where these interests are expounded on/experienced over the decades.