Rock Against Bush?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
"Good Charlotte, Green Day, NOFX To Rock Against President Bush

Anti-Bush compilation album due next spring, along with tour.

by Jon Wiederhorn

Good Charlotte (Photo: Epic)

Good Charlotte, Pennywise and Sum 41 have always been known more for their practical jokes than their practical advice. That may soon change.

Next year these bands, Green Day, NOFX, Alkaline Trio and others will unite to raise political

awareness and encourage pop-punk fans to vote in the next presidential election ? against George Bush. The groups will each contribute a track to the compilation Rock Against Bush and take part in at least one show on a tour organized and funded by NOFX singer/bassist Fat Mike, who also owns the label Fat Wreck Chords.

"About a year ago I decided to use my influence to get bands together to speak out about the president," Fat Mike said. "I think it's our responsibility as citizens and musicians to do so. He's wrecking the country and the world. He's starting wars for no reason, our economy is in the toilet, he's ruining the environment, and he does things like cut taxes when we need money."

Green Day, NOFX and Alkaline Trio will record new songs for the album. The other groups haven't yet announced whether their tracks will be new cuts, remixes or previously released tunes. The album should be in stores by April or May.

There will be two legs of the Rock Against Bush Tour. The first will take place around the release of the album, and the second will occur closer to the election. At the shows, Fat Mike's Punkvoter.com political organization will set up voter registration booths, and the bands that play will encourage kids to take part in the voting process.

"We're trying to build a coalition of kids 18 to 25," Fat Mike said. "We want punks and other disenfranchised young people to vote as a block, which no one has ever done before. Kids are the biggest group of people that don't vote. We want to change that."

Fat Mike applauds Rock the Vote, which has long been urging youths to show up at the voting booth on election day, but he feels their nonpartisan methods are flawed. "They don't tell kids why to vote or who to vote for," he said. "The punk scene is very united. We're gonna get every punk-rock band together, and I think we can take over the country and change the world."

Plans call for the shows to be free and staged mostly at college campuses. Since there may be some logistical problems with calling the jaunt Rock Against Bush, Fat Mike admits he may have to change the name. "Certain colleges won't advertise it as Rock Against Bush, and a lot of radio stations won't mention the name either. So we may just call it the Punkvoter tour or something, but to us it will always be Rock Against Bush."

All proceeds from the Rock Against Bush album will go toward print and television ads that will encourage punks to oust Bush from office. "We're just going to put true facts on TV," he said, "and one or two famous punk rockers will be reading them."

With profits from the disc being funneled into advertising, funds for the tour will be limited, but Fat Mike said he's prepared to pick up most of the cost. "I'm planning on losing a lot of money, but I don't care. This is something I really believe in."

This report is provided by MTV News"

==============================================

I don't know if this will hurt or help the movement towards a regime change.

I'm all for getting younger people to vote. Just don't feel you have the right to tell them who to vote for. I assume most punk kids probably sway away from Bush anyway, but the act of voting is the important part.

I agree womanfish. It irks me that barely half the citizens of the U.S. bother to vote. People should *vote*, no matter who for, dammit!

Many people do not vote because they do not see a material change in their lives based on their vote.

Look at some of the "hot button" issues in the US. We've had Republicans in office, we've had Democrats. Little changes in the grand scheme of things.

The Rock Against Bush seems more an effort to whip up hatred of Bush (or conservatives in general) that a voter education project.

nbcrusader said:
Many people do not vote because they do not see a material change in their lives based on their vote.

Look at some of the "hot button" issues in the US. We've had Republicans in office, we've had Democrats. Little changes in the grand scheme of things.

I disagree with you here. Personally I think that us being in an ongoing war with no end it sight, facing record unemployment, and record deficits, and in jeapordy of losing many of our civil rights are big changes from the 90's. Not saying that Gore would have meant the continuation of great times, but obviously the leadership change did effect many areas in the grand scheme.

nbcrusader said:
The Rock Against Bush seems more an effort to whip up hatred of Bush (or conservatives in general) that a voter education project.

I totally agree with you here. To me punk rock should be more about speaking your own mind and beliefs and not all getting together to convince people what to believe politically.

Last edited:
womanfish said:

I totally agree with you here. To me punk rock should be more about speaking your own mind and beliefs and not all getting together to convince people what to believe politically.

I agree. They should be telling people to vote, not who to vote for. I think there are many reasons why people don't vote. Some don't see how one vote--theirs--could make a difference. Some aren't informed about the candidates. Some just don't give a damn about the issues involved. I don't know, people should vote, dammit! You're right, Klaus, democracy doesn't work if people don't vote!

These "bands" are a joke. I would pay you good money to NOT see SUM41 and Good Charlotte live.

People should vote their conscience, not because some quasi-punk star tells them to.

is that a promise anitram? 'cause i would love to take you up on that offer...

ahhh good charlotte. or more like a mediocre green day, as chris rock put it. seems very second grade to me. care to have a good solid debate over the topics good charlotte? ummm... no... well how come? ummm... i dunno... bush sucks! yeah!

nbcrusader said:

When you have a Republican Congress against a Democratic President, no, nothing will change.

Melon

Well there should be a Concert against the Bush haters and anti-war people!!
I'm not suprised by the number of "Stupid" celebrities that still whinge about US foriegn policy or the War in Iraq! It just makes me sick that these people don't understand the entire situation!

Hey don't you guys remember what happened in Bosnia??!!
The world sat back and did jack all, until "you know who" came along. And by that I don't mean U2.

stagman said:
I'm not suprised by the number of "Stupid" celebrities that still whinge about US foriegn policy or the War in Iraq! It just makes me sick that these people don't understand the entire situation!

The world sat back and did jack all, until "you know who" came along. And by that I don't mean U2.

Good to see that you're so wise and understand the entire situation so thoroughly. How can you not complaign about the current U.S. foreign policy?? It's a complete disaster. Oh and Bono is one of those "stupid celebrities"

womanfish said:

Good to see that you're so wise and understand the entire situation so thoroughly. How can you not complaign about the current U.S. foreign policy?? It's a complete disaster.

I hope you are not suggesting that "if you don't see current US foreign policy as a complete disaster, then you are not wise or do not understand the entire situation."

nbcrusader said:

I hope you are not suggesting that "if you don't see current US foreign policy as a complete disaster, then you are not wise or do not understand the entire situation."

Those are two seperate entities. I don't proclaim to know the entire situation - do you?

As for foreign policy, I don't really think that "you're either with us or against us" and "bring it on" is really a foreign policy at all, more of an anti foreign policy.

stagman said:

It's good to see someone still has an intelligent response to this issue.:no:

I can't see myself going to a concert against myself. I'd just as soon join the Idiot Club, but I think I have more self-respect.

stagman said:

Don't you think it's rather arrogant to assume that because another person disagrees with your views they must either be stupid or not understand the situation?

nbcrusader said:

<snip>
of Bush (or conservatives in general)

I don't classify conservatives with Bush! :no: I think Bush gives conservatists a bad name, but I don't think every conservative is (gee which adjective to choose... warhungry? selfish?..) like Bush.

"How can you not complaign about the current U.S. foreign policy?? It's a complete disaster."

Complete Disaster?

I think not. Over the past two years, the United States has removed the Taliban from power in Afghanistan, destroyed Al Quada's main base of operations there, killed or captured 2/3s of Al Quada leadership, given people in AFghanistan the best chance they have ever had for a bright future, removed Saddam from power in Iraq, successfully enforced multiple UN resolutions in regards to Iraq after a decade of failure in that area, made Persian Gulf energy supply more secure than its ever been, started a new Iraqi military/police force, started to build democracy in Iraq for the first time.

The Bush administration has accomplished more in Foreign Policy in 2 years than Clinton did in 8 years. Disaster? I think not!

So just today Hamas has stated the Bush has given a decloration of war to them and Al Qaeda held talks and vowed "future devestating attacks" on the U.S.

Iran and N. Korea are now flaunting their nuclear programs in front of our noses, while the sole reason we entered Iraq (given by the administration) was the undisputed fact that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction which have not been found.

Add that to the fact that not only do the French hate us, but the anti-U.S. sentiment across the world is at a scary level.

And IMO foreign policy is not invading countries taking out their leaders and establishing a form of government that is completely alien to them. I'll use GW's words - It does make us look like the ugly American.

So glad our world is so much safer now.

The world was just as dangerous as before. Terrorist groups didn't need Bush as an excuse to kill.

At least now we are doing something about terrorist groups.

They don't need him as an excuse to kill, but now he's just an extra reason and added incentive.

nbcrusader said:
The world was just as dangerous as before. Terrorist groups didn't need Bush as an excuse to kill.

At least now we are doing something about terrorist groups.

No. Shooting the odd terrorist isn't doing something about terrorist groups.

I'd bet that in the last 2 years, yes, Al Qaeda has been significantly damaged, but the 'idea' of Al Qaeda has grown stronger then ever.

Womenfish,

"So just today Hamas has stated the Bush has given a decloration of war to them and Al Qaeda held talks and vowed "future devestating attacks" on the U.S."

Yep, for the 100th time since 9/11. How many attacks has Al Quada been successful at launching on US territory since 9/11?

"Iran and N. Korea are now flaunting their nuclear programs in front of our noses, while the sole reason we entered Iraq (given by the administration) was the undisputed fact that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction which have not been found."

Whats your or General Clarks solution for North Korea or Iran? It be interesting to see a an alternative solution on these subject matters rather than inaccurate criticism. If you have a better idea on what to do with North Korea, lets hear it.

"Add that to the fact that not only do the French hate us, but the anti-U.S. sentiment across the world is at a scary level."

Really, is that why the world has purchased over 2 Trillion dollars worth of US goods and services since 9/11? Is that why 29 nations are working with the USA in Iraq to restore Peace and stability there? Is that why the now 26 nation NATO alliance is working with the USA to help Afganistan, working with the USA in Bosnia, working with the USA in Kosovo. Is that why the FBI, CIA working with other international intelligence organization have been so successful in catching 2/3s of Al Quada leadership?

"And IMO foreign policy is not invading countries taking out their leaders and establishing a form of government that is completely alien to them. I'll use GW's words - It does make us look like the ugly American."

Really, is that the feeling in Japan, German, South Korea over the past 60 years. Do people in Germany resent the fact that the USA defeated Hitler? How about bring democracy to Japan? Do people in Japan resent that? Do people in Kuwait resent saving their country from Saddam? Do people in Bosnia resent the USA preventing the slaughter of the population there? Do people in Kosovo resent the US preventing further slaughter there? Do the majority of people in Iraq resent the US overthrowing Saddam?

US foreign policy does involve the deployment of US troops to defend the security and stability of the planet, and yes that does sometimes involve invading countries in order to stop leaders who are a threat to the international community.

"So glad our world is so much safer now."

I'm sorry if you don't think the world is safer without Saddam and the Taliban in power. I think its obvious that more has been done over the past 2 years by the Bush administration to make the world safer than was done in the 8 years prior to the Bush Administration.

What Sting2 said!!

When I say stupid people i mean those that try ignore the fact that Islamic militants have only 1 goal ands that is to kill as many westerners as possible. The same goes for Saddam supporters if there are still any. These groups have to be eradicated or stopped at least. Saddam tortured his own people. He lived in absolute luxury while not giving a damn about his people who lived in terrible conditions..... How can the world let that kind of thing go by. Saddam and his government simply did not have the right to rule any more.
Sadly the EU was too gutless and lazy to do anything.
Those European nations should still be thanking the US for saving them during WWII.. since 1946 Europe has gradually turned anti-US. It just does'nt make sense... oh and the French don't make any sense either. Chirac may as well be a member of Al Quedia!!:mad:

Back
Top Bottom