Robertson suggests God smote Sharon - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Robertson suggests God smote Sharon

Quote:
Robertson suggests God smote Sharon
Evangelist links Israeli leader's stroke to 'dividing God's land'

(CNN) -- Television evangelist Pat Robertson suggested Thursday that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine retribution for the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, which Robertson opposed.

"He was dividing God's land, and I would say, 'Woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the [European Union], the United Nations or the United States of America,'" Robertson told viewers of his long-running television show, "The 700 Club."

"God says, 'This land belongs to me, and you'd better leave it alone,'" he said.

Robertson's show airs on the ABC Family cable network and claims about 1 million viewers daily.

Sharon, 77, clung to life in a Jerusalem hospital Thursday after surgery to treat a severe stroke, his doctors said.

The prime minister, who withdrew Israeli settlers and troops from Gaza and parts of the West Bank last summer over heated objections from his own Likud Party, was breathing with the aid of a ventilator after doctors operated to stop the bleeding in his brain.

In Washington, President Bush offered praise for Sharon in a speech on Thursday.

"We pray for his recovery," Bush said. "He's a good man, a strong man. A man who cared deeply about the security of the Israeli people, and a man who had a vision for peace. May God bless him."

Daniel Ayalon, Israel's ambassador to the United States, compared Robertson's remarks to the overheated rhetoric of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. (Full story)

He called the comments "outrageous" and said they were not something to expect "from any of our friends."

"He is a great friend of Israel and a great friend of Prime Minister Sharon himself, so I am very surprised," Ayalon told CNN.

Robertson, 75, founded the Christian Coalition and in 1988 failed in a bid for the Republican presidential nomination. He last stirred controversy in August, when he called for the assassination of Venezuela's president, Hugo Chavez. (Full story)

Robertson later apologized, but still compared Chavez to Hitler and former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein in the process.

The same month, the Anti-Defamation League criticized Robertson for warning that God would "bring judgment" against Israel for its withdrawal from Gaza, which it had occupied since the 1967 Mideast war.

Robertson said Thursday that Sharon was "a very likable person, and I am sad to see him in this condition."

He linked Sharon's health problems to the 1995 assassination of Israeli leader Yitzhak Rabin, who signed the Oslo peace accords that granted limited self-rule to Palestinians.

"It was a terrible thing that happened, but nevertheless, now he's dead," Robertson said.

Rabin was gunned down by a religious student opposed to the Oslo accords. The killer, Yigal Amir, admitted to the crime and was sentenced to life in prison.

Rev. Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, criticized Robertson's comments Thursday, saying the televangelist "has a political agenda for the entire world."

"He seems to think God is ready to take out any world leader who stands in the way of that agenda," Lynn said in a written statement.

"A religious leader should not be making callous political points while a man is struggling for his life," he said. "I'm appalled."

Ralph Neas, president of liberal advocacy group People for the American Way, said "it is astonishing that Pat Robertson still wields substantial influence" in the Republican Party.

"Once again, Pat Robertson leaves us speechless with his insensitivity and arrogance," Neas said in a written statement.

According to The Associated Press, Robertson spokeswoman Angell Watts said of people who criticized the comments: "What they're basically saying is, 'How dare Pat Robertson quote the Bible?'"

"This is what the word of God says," Watts told the AP. "This is nothing new to the Christian community."

Copyright 2006 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Open mouth...insert foot.

He's laughing all the way to the bank.

ETA: It disturbs me that both Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson are from Virginia

Old 01-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
ETA: It disturbs me that both Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson are from Virginia
. You poor thing.

I'd like to think that God's up there telling Robertson to get a life.

Angela
Old 01-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:09 AM
This was discussed in the Sharon thread.

Why is this even news?

Is society so hungry for theological speculation that we feast on Pat Robertson statements?

Or do they parade the clown around for more attention to their news sources?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Why is this even news?

Is society so hungry for theological speculation that we feast on Pat Robertson statements?

It's news because regardless of what you or I may say or think, he has A LOT of followers.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Should we have a separate sub-forum just for posting the Pat Robertson quote of the day?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

It's news because regardless of what you or I may say or think, he has A LOT of followers.
I'm not sure why CNN would extend the pipeline for the benefit of his followers.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'm not sure why CNN would extend the pipeline for the benefit of his followers.

i think it's because the liberal media hates christians.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The same reason, quotes from Muslim leaders constantly make headlines...
Old 01-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

So, we're back to "parade the clown around for more attention to their news sources".

I guess if we silence all the loonies, we won't watch anymore news.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Why is this even news?

so do you agree or disagree with the robertson statement?
Old 01-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm pretty sure he disagrees tre....just making the point that we don't need to make a big deal every time this clinically insane idiot condemns someone
Old 01-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #13
She's the One

Quote:
So, we're back to "parade the clown around for more attention to their news sources".

I guess if we silence all the loonies, we won't watch anymore news.
If only he would shut up, but your president thinks his opinions matter a great deal.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
I'm pretty sure he disagrees tre....just making the point that we don't need to make a big deal every time this clinically insane idiot condemns someone
ah ok

i just wish he would shut up so no one could make a big deal out of it
Old 01-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

If only he would shut up, but your president thinks his opinions matter a great deal.
we're assassinating chavez?!