Road Map to Peace in the Middle East/NO IRAQ TALK PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Road Map to a Permanent Two-State Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
Council on Foreign Relations

February 2003

The following is a summary of a discussion and recommendations by participants in a Roundtable organized by the U.S./Middle East Project of the Council on Foreign Relations. These views are their own.

I. We support President George W. Bush's view that the Palestinian people deserve political leadership and institutions not tainted by terrorism and corruption. However, the resumption of a peace process between Israel and the Palestinians should not be conditioned upon the replacement of a particular individual. To do so invites resistance on the part of large segments of the Palestinian population that desire change in their leadership and accountable democratic governance, but do not wish to be seen as doing a foreign country's bidding. It also places the role of one man above the American interest in bringing a speedy end to the violence.

We believe nothing is better calculated to encourage the change within Palestinian society and its political institutions advocated by President Bush and widely desired by the Palestinian people than a peace process that holds out a credible promise of viable Palestinian statehood, as elaborated in III below.

II. All previous efforts to end violence on both sides and turn to a political process (the Mitchell recommendations, the Tenet cease-fire work plan and the Zinni mission) have failed to gain traction on the ground, primarily because each side maintained that the first step must be taken by the other.

If the Road Map is not to encounter the same fate, the U.S. administration and its Quartet partners must insist on a 100% PA effort to end violence that is unconditional and independent of actions demanded of Israel. The U.S. and its Quartet partners must similarly insist on an equally unconditional cessation of Israeli settlement expansion (including so-called natural growth) that is independent of actions required of Palestinians.

This parallelism is not to suggest moral equivalence. It is to recognize that no peace talks are possible if Palestinians fail to exert 100% effort to halt Palestinian terrorism or if Israel continues through its settlement policy to encroach on Palestinian lives and property. No matter how incommensurate, both must cease unconditionally and without reward as a necessary precondition for the political process envisioned in the Road Map.

The Road Map should present specific standards of compliance for the Palestinians with regard to their efforts to stop terror and for the Israelis with respect to settlement activity. It should offer a detailed security plan which spells out what each side must do in order to be deemed in compliance. The plan should provide for an independent mechanism to monitor implementation.

III. Most important by far to the success of the Road Map is a more explicit description of the two-state outcome it envisions. President Bush, acting on his own or through the Quartet, should articulate a clearer vision of the viable and independent Palestinian state he spoke of in his speech of June 24.

This fuller articulation should specify that the agreement envisioned by the U.S. and its Quartet partners that would end the conflict within a 3-year period should result in (a) two independent states with boundaries approximating pre-June '67 borders, with territorial adjustments that are the result of negotiation and not unilateral annexation; (b) arrangements for Jerusalem that accommodate two separate sovereignties while - insofar as possible - keeping the city physically undivided; (c) relief and justice for Palestinian refugees in ways that do not threaten Israel's demographic balance (e.g. a "right of return" to the new state of Palestine, a limited return to Israel under the rubric of family reunion, and generous international funding for repatriation, resettlement and compensation); (d) a protection regime for sites deemed holy by Jews, Christians and Moslems, and (e) agreement on arrangements for internal and external security.

IV. We believe there is no national security reason for the President to delay elaboration of his June 24 vision. Indeed, there are important national security reasons to spell out without further delay the broad shape of the peace agreement for which the U.S. intends to work. Arab countries and much of the Muslim world, as well as most European countries, see a direct linkage between their ability to be more forthcoming in supporting U.S. goals in Iraq and our seriousness in working for a fair settlement of the Israel-Palestine conflict. That seriousness would be made evident by an elaboration of the President's June 24 vision along the lines noted above, even if it may not be possible for the U.S. to initiate immediately a full-court press for a Middle East peace agreement.

V. Phase II of the Road Map, designed to create a Palestinian state with "provisional borders," may well be one phase too many, for it is more likely to prevent the parties from ever getting to Phase III in which permanent status issues are to be resolved. We believe the time, energy, and political capital spent on "provisional borders" are far better invested in negotiations for permanent borders. The resumption of effective security cooperation in Phase I (facilitated by internationally appointed monitors) should enable the parties to turn directly to permanent status issues. And the more detailed parameters of the president's twostate vision would help give the parties a workable framework within which to come to closure. The way station of provisional boundaries is a dangerous distraction.

If agreement on permanent borders is reached in the second stage, provision can be made for an interim period during which Palestinians will enjoy less than full sovereignty within these borders while they demonstrate their capacity and willingness to provide effective security for Israel, monitored by an international instrumentality.

In sum, we believe that by better defining the Road Map's destination, the U.S. and its Quartet partners can frame eventual permanent status negotiations in a manner that promotes a sustainable two-state outcome consistent with both sides' interests, that associates them with the moderate majorities in both camps, and that encourages Palestinians to undertake necessary fundamental changes in their institutions. It would also facilitate international cooperation with the U.S. in its war on global terrorism and in its efforts to encourage the spread of democracy throughout the world.

Zbigniew Brzezinski, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS); former National Security Advisor

Lee H. Hamilton, Woodrow Wilson Center for International Studies & Special Congressional September 11 Committee; former Chairman of the House International Relations Committee

Frederic Hof, AALC Ltd.; former senior State and Defense Department official and former Staff Director of the Mitchell Committee

Geoffrey Kemp, Nixon Center; former National Security Council Senior Director for Middle East Affairs

Robert Malley, International Crisis Group; former National Security Council Director for Middle East Affairs

Thomas R. Pickering, Boeing Corporation; former Under Secretary of State and ambassador to Israel and India

Brent Scowcroft, Forum for International Policy, former National Security Advisor

Henry Siegman, Council on Foreign Relations

Stephen Solarz, International Crisis Group; former U.S. Representative (D-NY)

Theodore C. Sorensen, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton and Garrison; former Special Counsel to the President

James Steinberg, Brookings Institution; former Deputy National Security Advisor

Paul Volcker, former Chairman of the Federal Reserve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've quickly read over this opinion/proposal. Where should I begin?

:up:

I think it's enough for now. I might post a more elaborate reaction later, when I have the time (and when I'm not at work as I am now).

C ya!

Marty

OK,

Here goes ... don't have much time though gotta get back to class...

First and foremost the Israelis must stop the destruction of Palestinian homes in favour of new settlements in Palestinian territory. In past Israeli peace attempts, like Oslo for example, the Israelis continued to build settlements while negotions for peace were well underway.

There must be a return to the pre-1967 borders, as outlined by the U.N.

Israel must take responsibility for the Palestinian refugees created in the 1948 and 1967 wars.

The question of East Jerusalem must be resolved...

The only immediate hope for any sort of peace will be the withdrawal of the Israeli military from the Occupied Territories and the dismantling of the Zionist settlements.

Even Israel's closest ally, the US, criticised Israel's Prime Minister Nettanyahu when a State Department spokesperson said his policy of expanding Israeli settlements in the occupied territories was jeopardising peace and the process for peace.

But beyond this, only an independent Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza Strip and the right of return for Palestinian refugees to the territory now ruled over by the Israeli state, and a secularisation of that state, will begin to solve the continuing conflict in Palestine.

The violence occurring in Palestine/Israel is the result of the contradiction between the drive by the Israel to maintain its apartheid-like system and struggle by the Palestinians for the righting of the terrible historical injustice they continue to suffer. End the occupation, end the settlements.... If the Israeli's withdraw from Palestinian territory and stop there brutal yet occupation and the destruction of Palestinian homes in favour of new settlements, the suicide bombing will stop.... Without justice for the oppressed Palestinian nation, there will be no lasting peace.

There will be no peace unless the destruction of Palestinian homes in favour of settlements ends... This is Palestininian territory according to the U.N. Israel must stop the building of settlements, scenerios like this must end...

Conflict between settlers, troops and Palestinians protesting land confiscations and house demolitions gives an indication of the sort of future Palestinians face. Israeli defence minister Yitzhak Mordechai approved the construction of 1200 housing units in the settlement of Emmanuel, west of Nablus, on November 19. They will be built on 40 hectares belonging to the village of Deir Isitya. Mordechai also gave permission for the sale of hundreds of already built houses to settlers; the sales were frozen by the Labour government.

Construction has also begun on the second phase of Har Haradar settlement, built on lands belonging to Biddo, Beit Surik and Qattana villages north-west of Jerusalem.

Settlers from Efrat, near Bethlehem, pumped sewage on to agricultural land belonging to Palestinians in Al-Khader village on November 11, damaging dozens of villagers' trees. The same day, the settlers uprooted vines from lands surrounding the settlement and three days later seized 50 hectares of land belonging to Al-Khader and Artas villages. A road is being put through land belonging to people from the village of Artas where Efrat wishes to expand.

On November 10, 6 Palestinians were killed and 24 others were injured when Israeli soldiers opened fire on demonstrators protesting land confiscations in Deir Qiddis village outside Ramallah for the expanding settlement of Kiryat Sefer, planned to house 4000 religious settlers. The demonstration had been approved by the Israeli authorities in the area and was proceeding peacefully when Israeli soldiers suddenly opened fire.

Once the building of settlements seizes, the suicide bombing will seize...

Last edited:
Man Inside The Suitcase,

I seriously doubt suicide bombings will cease when settlement building is discontinued. Suicide bombings are the tactic of the retarded. If a rational person feels an injustice is being done to them, you don't then go an attack someone who has nothing to do with your problems. Teens in disco's listening to U2 are not responsible for settlement building or any other complaint the Palestinians have. Attacking because of these problems is retarded.

The only way there will be peace in the West Bank and Gaza and eventually an independent Palestinian State, is if Palestinians themselves learn was non-violent action is. Even if Palestinian claims were justified, given the situation, they will never achieve any of their goals through violence. Israel is too powerful. In fact its this violence by Palestinians that brings Israely raids into Palestinians towns to hunt down the terrorist. This is where people are accidentally killed. But if Palestinians did not use terror to try to achieve their goals, there would be no Israely raids and no innocent Palestinians being killed.

Non-violent action will work against Israel because Israel is a democracy with principles similar to the USA. This is how African Americans achieved civil rights in the USA in the 1960s. Martin Luther King new that the USA was a democracy and stood on principles that would be very susceptible to his non-violent activities. Martin Luther King was right and achieved equal rights for African Americans through Non-violent action.

The Palestinians must adopt a non-violent action movement. By ending the terrorist activities and adopting non-violent action, Israely citizens will become more sensitive to Palestinian concerns and goals. Israely citizens will then be more likely to see Palestinians as people who need their help rather than terrorist trying to kill their childern in disco's. They will be more likely to vote in an Israely government that will allow, support, and aid and independent Palestinians State.

That is really the only way Palestinians will get peace and independent state in addition to regional negotiations between Israel and other Arab States. An Independent Palestinian State that continues to practice terror will simply be reoccupied by Israel. Development of a non-violent movement among Palestinians is the only there will be peace and independence long term. Amazingly, no such movement currently exist. Its time that Palestinians tried a course of action that actually has a chance of achieving their goals. The violence they have committed for the past 50 years has only made their situation worse each time it happens.

stung,

perhaps you can choose a more eloquent and classy word than "retarded"... but once again stung, you've displayed your frustration and inability to build a relevant argument.... once again you've decided to sell me your fox news rhetoric and repeat blind, uninformed, uncompromising views.

for an answer to this post, please read my previous post.

stop the killing, stop the settlement building, stop the bulldozing of homes, get out of Palestinian territory which is illegally occupied according to the U.N., and there will be peace stung.

Last edited:
And another thread bites the dust.

FWiW, "retarded" also had me scratching my head, but I guess it's to each his own.

The word choice was poor. I agree....but the taunting is not necessary. Peace

Dreadsox, you avatar has me rolling on the floor, lol.

Thanks, I needed that.

I got it off of some Middle Eastern Newspaper Page. I saw it, I laughed, and I wanted to share it. In a way it offends me tonight, but this afternoon I thought it amusing.

I think Sting is onto something.....There should be a move towards a non-violent approach. I am not sure in the King model. I think there may be more parallels to a Ghandi approach. Some may see them as the same, however, I think there are more similarities with Ghandi and India than Civil Rights.

Man Inside The Child,

If its not to much to ask, my name here is Sting. I am sorry for using the word "retarded" when describing a suicide bomber. What more eloquent and classy word would you use to describe a person who in reaction to their oppression, decide to walk into a disco to blow up, maim and kill, innocent childern. What more eloquent and classy a word does a person who targets CHILDERN deserve?

"you've displayed your frustration and inability to build a relevant argument.... once again you've decided to sell me your fox news rhetoric and repeat blind, uninformed, uncompromising views."

As a law student, is that how you normally talk to your professors and fellow students?

"for an answer to this post, please read my previous post."

Did you even read my posts? Why haven't you answered some of the question of asked multiple times in the Israel/Palestine thread?

"stop the killing, stop the settlement building, stop the bulldozing of homes, get out of Palestinian territory which is illegally occupied according to the U.N., and there will be peace stung."

Israel should stop settlement building. Israel does not target innocent Palestinian civilians but has every right to kill and capture Palestinian terrorist who target childern. Again there will only be peace when Palestinians recognize that the solution to their problems can never be solved through violence. Palestinians can't agree on what the occupied terroritories are, so the idea that if they withdrew to the 1967 borders that peace would suddenly erupt is false. In addition any withdrawal from the occupied territories must happen along with a regional peace agreement and recognition of Israels rights to exist by the Arab countries in the region.

sting, i called you stung because you called me man inside the suitcase... it's man inside the child. pretty silly to name call... sorry.

i'm glad you agree with me on the fact that the settlement building must come to an end... to take it further, i think they should be removed... i do also agree with you on the non-violent approach. you're absolutely right that they need a MLK... it's good we agree on some things and hopefully the political leaders of the region can go even further and find some sort of resolve.

the occupied territories are those outlined by the United Nations

i actually enjoy discussing the situation with you sting, but sometimes i find your comments a little to right wing and somewhat uncompromising... but your last post was cool... the occupied territories are those outlined by the United Nations.

Man Inside The Child,

I'm sorry about botching your name. It was not on purpose. With these longer names I do much better when I copy and paste rather than just typing it in. There is a POLICE song called "Man In A Suitcase" and I think that pretty much did me in. I have botched a few other names here before at interference.

I think the settlers can remain so long as they accept becoming citizens of a independent Palestinian State. If not, then they should leave.

In a further negotiations I think Israel should give up all of East Jerusalem, in return, Israel gets to keep several of the border area's and small towns it claims on the West Bank. This would probably give Palestinians about 96% of the land, just a little more than the 2000 deal, but would give them probably their most prized piece, East Jerusalem.

Back
Top Bottom