RNC Head Ken Mehlman Stepping Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sevikins

Refugee
Just hot off CNN.com:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman announced he is going to step down at the end of the year.

The White House is already searching for a replacement or replacements to lead the party into the 2008 presidential campaign cycle, sources tell CNN.

Two sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Mehlman has made clear to close associates for some time he was likely to leave after the 2006 elections -- and that there is no dissatisfaction with his performance in the midterm cycle.

One name that has come up as a possible replacement is outgoing Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael Steele, who just lost a U.S. Senate race.

One of the sources, though, said a more likely scenario is for Steele to join the Bush administration in another capacity after the first of the year when a few members of the Bush Cabinet and other senior officials are expected to leave.

One scenario under discussion, should Mehlman leave, according to two of the sources, is to split the RNC leadership duties, a model both parties have used at times in the past.

Under this approach, a party operative would be brought in to run day-to-day affairs, and a prominent Republican, most likely a former officeholder, would be named general chairman.

The name most talked about to run the day-to-day operation in such an approach is Maria Cino, a veteran Republican strategist who currently serves as deputy transportation secretary.

First Rummy, now Mehlman... Republicans are cleaning house?
This is the guy who did the whole get out the vote drives back in the '04 election... quite successful, so why get rid of him now? Is it because he wanted to leave or is there something other than that? Not insinuating anything, just wondering. I thought that since I saw it on CNN, I'd let the good people of FYM know.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
They're scared, plain and simple. They know they've coasted through on fear and lies for the last few elections.

Thats always what a certain group of Dems say any time a long string of Republican wins comes to an end. Lots of that same crap was voiced back in November 1992.

STING2 said:

Thats always what a certain group of Dems say any time a long string of Republican wins comes to an end. Lots of that same crap was voiced back in November 1992.

Or we could state it the way you always do: the American people have spoken, and they no longer agree with you. Sorry.

You're own words, not mine.

and now
the end is near
and so i face
the final curtain

187164fdfacfeb2026b.jpg

my friend
i'll say it clear
i'll state my case
of which i'm certain

18716une1818.jpg

i've lived
a life that's full
i've travelled each
and every highway

bushhighwaytruth.jpg

and much
much more than this
i did it
my way

regrets
i've had a few
but then again
too few to mention

6.jpg

i did
what i had to do
and saw it through
without exemption

jus3.jpg

i planned
each charted course
each careful step
along the byway

author238.jpg

but much
much more than this
i did it
my way

yes there were times
i'm sure you knew
when i bit off
more than i could chew

BushPretzel.jpg

but through it all
when there was doubt
i ate it up
and spit it out

fake_turkey.jpg

i faced it all
and i stood tall
and did it
my way

i've loved
i've laughed and cried
i've had my fill
my share of losing

bush-approval-rating.gif

and now
as tears subside
i find it all
so amusing

bush%20laugh.jpg

to think
i did all that
and may i say
not in a shy way

bush_head_hands-744130.jpg

no
oh no not me
i did it
my way

for what is a man
what has he got
if not himself
then he has naught

story.jpg

to say the things
he truly feels
and not the words
of one who kneels
the record shows
i took the blows

art1c.jpg

and did it
my way

3BT16046.jpg

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Or we could state it the way you always do: the American people have spoken, and they no longer agree with you. Sorry.

You're own words, not mine.

True, and George Bush is still their President and will continue to be for another 2 years. The mid-term election is important and very significant, but not as important or signifcant as the 2004 Presidential election when over 122 million people voted.

STING2 said:

True, and George Bush is still their President and will continue to be for another 2 years. The mid-term election is important and very significant, but not as important or signifcant as the 2004 Presidential election when over 122 million people voted.

and in 2006 they would have elected my grandmother over George W. Bush.

and, just because, i feel like reposting this:

Sully has a post on his blog that has me positively aroused right now ... :shifty:

[q]This was the final insult - to you and to me:

[q]In brief remarks, Rumsfeld described the Iraq conflict as a "little understood, unfamiliar war" that is "complex for people to comprehend."[/q]

He then compared himself to Churchill. Yep: still clinical. The truth is: it was Rumsfeld who little understood and was unfamiliar with the actual conflict he was tasked with managing. It was not too "complex for people to comprehend." It was relatively easy to comprehend. If you invade a post-totalitarian country and disband its military, you better have enough troops to keep order. We didn't. Rumsfeld refused to send enough. When this was made clear to him and to everyone, he still refused. His arrogant belief in a military that didn't need any actual soldiers was completely at odds with the actual task in Iraq. But he preferred to sit back as tens of thousands of Iraqis were murdered and thousands of U.S. troops died rather than to check his own ego.

So let me put this therefore as simply as I can: Rumsfeld has blood on his hands - American and Iraqi blood. He also directly ordered and personally monitored the torture of military detainees. He secured legal impunity for his own war crimes, but that doesn't mean the Congress shouldn't investigate more fully what he authorized. He remains one of the most incompetent defense secretaries in history (McNamara looks good in comparison). But he is also a war criminal: a torturer who broke the laws of this country. The catastrophe in Iraq will stain him for ever. His record of torture has indelibly stained the United States.[/q]

Back
Top Bottom