RIP Saddam - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2006, 10:01 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:53 PM
He did it because he's evil. No one should feel sorry for him.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:17 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:53 PM
Then save it for the other thread, unless you can't comprehend the difference between the two.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:06 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Saddam deserves the RIP. Period. He did not do it alone. He had people carry out orders. If every single person refused to carry them out, there would have been nobody to do his bidding. AGain, I sit here thinking about why he evolved into the person he became. Can you imagine what it would feel like to your soul to be him? Carry that around knowing the damage you have done to countless families.

Are you telling me that you feel SORRY for him because he must have felt bad for being an evil, murderous tyrant? Good Lord I can't believe what I'm seeing here.

Maybe you should go to Osama and give him a cookie and a hug because he must feel horrible for blowing up the twin towers.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:11 PM   #94
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Maybe, just maybe, the theology of forgiveness either personal or by a deity extends to all people.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:23 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Forgiveness has nothing to do with my last point. Forgiveness and sympathy don't always go hand in hand. To assume Saddam or Osama are sorry for what they've done is just silly. Every indication points to them not being one bit sorry.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:53 PM
I'm not in a position to forgive or not forgive Saddam. He did not directly or indirectly harm me. And I acknowledge no theological edict to forgive. I didn't mourn his death and I didn't celebrate it. But I watched the video and I saw a person approaching his death, the common denominator for all of us at one time or another, one way or another. And I felt that commonality.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #97
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:53 PM
Not that I'm of the opinion that we should all forgive Saddam for what he's done, but:

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Forgiveness has nothing to do with my last point. Forgiveness and sympathy don't always go hand in hand. To assume Saddam or Osama are sorry for what they've done is just silly. Every indication points to them not being one bit sorry.
I wasn't aware that the Christian thing to do was forgive, but only if the offender felt remorse.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:30 PM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Are you telling me that you feel SORRY for him because he must have felt bad for being an evil, murderous tyrant? Good Lord I can't believe what I'm seeing here.

Maybe you should go to Osama and give him a cookie and a hug because he must feel horrible for blowing up the twin towers.
Do not put words in my mouth. Do not bring September 11th into this.

Truthfully I feel sorry for you. You cannot seam to let go of the anger.

Rest in Peace has absolutely NOTHING to do with condoning his behavior. For me, I do wonder why people in his chain of command did NOTHING to save their fellow citizens.

I think of other points in history where people stood up to the bully and refused to carry out orders.

So, yes, as I sit here, deep inside believing that justice has been served, I wonder....

How did he turn out the way he did? Why? What can be done so that it does not happen again.

And yes, I believe that the human soul is not designed to walk around bearing the guilt that he must have carried.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:43 PM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Dread.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:38 AM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Not that I'm of the opinion that we should all forgive Saddam for what he's done, but:

I wasn't aware that the Christian thing to do was forgive, but only if the offender felt remorse.
When did I say anything about not forgiving him? I said that just because you forgive him doesn't mean you should let him off any more lightly. I brought up the point of Saddam's remose because a poster before me stated that she felt sorry for him because he must feel guilty for his actions, which I think is a silly statement. Then Wanderer was implying that that meant I couldn't forgive him, which has nothing to do with the fact that I don't think Saddam is sorry at all.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Do not put words in my mouth. Do not bring September 11th into this.

Truthfully I feel sorry for you. You cannot seam to let go of the anger.

Rest in Peace has absolutely NOTHING to do with condoning his behavior. For me, I do wonder why people in his chain of command did NOTHING to save their fellow citizens.

I think of other points in history where people stood up to the bully and refused to carry out orders.

So, yes, as I sit here, deep inside believing that justice has been served, I wonder....

How did he turn out the way he did? Why? What can be done so that it does not happen again.

And yes, I believe that the human soul is not designed to walk around bearing the guilt that he must have carried.
The human soul isn't designed to torture, rape and murder either. To act like he was somehow on the same level as almost every human being in history is pure insanity. He was evil. I'm not saying he was less of a human being or anything, I'm saying that he was obviously on a completely different level in his heart than you and I can ever hope to understand.

I don't believe he had any guilt. Why would a soul weighed down by guilt continue to commit such unthinkable atrocities day after day after day with absolutely no signs of remorse whatsoever. He was obviously completely decensitized to the pure evil he was committing year after year. He stole women and raped them. He took their husbands and stuck their heads on spears outside the wive's windows. He cut his "enemies'" fingers off inch by inch. He lowered them into chipper shredders slowly and watched them scream in agony. He was completely desensitized to what he had become. He had even convinced himself that he was doing the right thing. He said so in court. Is that what the human soul was meant for? No!

He was purely and utterly evil and just because we can't comprehend how any human being could be so utterly disgusting doesn't mean his soul was "misunderstood".

I think what's going on here is that you can't understand the fact that there is true evil in the world. That we aren't just the furniture of the universe who can make no real choices. Saddam was evil and he deserved what he got. Would I be happy if I discovered that he made a confession of his sins before death and ended up in Heaven? Of course. I don't find joy in the thought of him burning in hell.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:33 AM   #102
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Does someone have good in them if there is even one person who loves them?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:55 AM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Not necessarily.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #104
Refugee

Have any of you stopped for one minute, put your holier than thou attitudes to one side and thought about the sheer horror, pain, misery, & agony that creature inflicted on countless thousands of humans, innocent MEN, WOMEM, & CHILDREN, thousands whose lives were cut short in the most terrible of ways, leaving behind millions of grieving relatives, & friends, whilst he lived life surrounded by luxury the vast majority of people who've ever lived, or ever will live couldn't even begin to dream of.
Certain creatures throughout the history of mankind have commited crimes that have released them from any kind of form of humanity, and that creature is very close to the top of that list, IF, & its a big IF, there's such places as Heaven, & Hell, Satan himself must be feeling very uncomfortable at this moment in time, with that for company!

R.I.P. all the victims of that monster, rot in hell saddam!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:55 AM   #105
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Does someone have good in them if there is even one person who loves them?
Well, he was probably nice to his own children... Other than that, not so much. I'm against the death penalty, and would've preferred to see him spend the rest of his life rotting behind bars, but I honestly can't say I feel "sorry" for the guy.