RIP Saddam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
indra said:
An execution, no matter how legally or "humanely" carried out, is horrifying to me and must also be to the executed. I can't help but feel for anyone who goes through that.
I usually can agree with this...however since we're on the topic of terrible dictators...

If I had fought through years of mud and trenches in France and found Hitler alive in his bunker, I probably would have shot the fucker. So it is hard for me to chide other forum members on the Saddam execution :shrug:

Canadiens1160 said:
I usually can agree with this...however since we're on the topic of terrible dictators...

If I had fought through years of mud and trenches in France and found Hitler alive in his bunker, I probably would have shot the fucker. So it is hard for me to chide other forum members on the Saddam execution :shrug:

of course, of course. that's human.

but the legal system cannot be based on moral outrage. if it is, it is most likely barbaric.

U2Man said:

but the legal system cannot be based on moral outrage. if it is, it is most likely barbaric.
Touché :up:

Sometimes we just need to admit that we're not in a postion of judging. It's great to have an opinion on everything, but that doesn't make us brighter or more educated or whatever. Maybe we shouldn't have any opinions (cause it's hard for some people not to have very extreme opinions here) but just feelings.

This happened, and we've got different feelings on it. That's it. I think it's useless to imagine our reaction if we were Saddam Hussein's relative or one of his victims's relative. I mean, what would it change?

We're not God, we're not judges, we're not in Iraq, we are just witnesses of a dictator's execution. I think our feelings about it are extremely personal, and expressing them on this board may be quite ill-considered in regards to the people who really have something to do with this execution.

Canadiens1160 said:

But that's different mate , that was in the middle of a war , u were a soldier , it's a whole different game

It's not like Saddam without any political power left , able to do nothing ..... that could have spent the rest of life in jail .... And Comes whatever the US or Iraq gov itself comes , and let's give something to news , in answer to the point , and let's hang him

In the end of the day , I can't help but agree with this headline of a newspaper here :

Saddam : Victory of Bush , Defeat of Justice

Saddam's execution serves the interest of the White House of leaving Iraq in a less shameful way

Last edited:
this is the single most ridiculous thread i have ever read since i started here.

absolutely ridiculous

i've tried to come up with messed up shit... but this takes the cake.

and no
this has nothing to do with me being for the death penalty
cause i'm not for it.

this has to do with you

some of you are hilarity at it's most absurd.

Shag On A Rock said:

RIP Saddam. Rest your troubled mind and weary heart. What's done is done. Let it go. RIP.

GLORY GLORY HALLELUJAH!!

can anyone else feel the POWER in these waoards?!

feel the powah in these WOARDS!!!

preach it sister!!! preach it to the woarld!!!

I do feel sorry for any human who has to die to a certain extent. The thought of him suffering does sadden me to a point, but much less than that thought of just about anyone else suffering. Is that wrong? I don't think so. His suffering doesn't make me happy in the slightest, it's the fact that justice has been done that I like. Happy though... ehhh I wouldn't use that word. I think he got what he deserved.

I do think it's silly to make threads like this though. Yes, the dead do deserve respect to a point, but Saddam was an EVIL man. There is no getting around that. The thing that gets to me is that a man who caused pain and suffering for millions of people and familes is getting more respect here today than the millions of other innocent people who live honest lives. It's disturbing. I'd rather see a "RIP old lady down the street from me who died last month" thread than this. It's much more deserved.

To act like Saddam was somehow "misunderstood" is silly. He was purely evil and it was no one's fault but his own. His evil actions weren't forced on him by the devil or unfortunate circumstances or anything of the sort. He was an evil man. I don't feel like I can say that enough because it doesn't seem that anyone here understands the concept of evil. Should I make a RIP Hitler now?

And I also don't understand why you think people like him deserve to be in a "better place".

Last edited:
another ruler left this world , who's next ??
Saddam behaved like a man those last days
is he guilty , yes
but there are other ways
for example , shave his moustache everyday
or work in jail
and we just keep eating massmedia spinach

:| :huh:

shart1780 said:

I do think it's silly to make threads like this though. Yes, the dead do deserve respect to a point, but Saddam was an EVIL man. There is no getting around that. The thing that gets to me is that a man who caused pain and suffering for millions of people and familes is getting more respect here today than the millions of other innocent people who live honest lives. It's disturbing. I'd rather see a "RIP old lady down the street from me who died last month" thread than this. It's much more deserved.

EXACTLY.

it's madness.

U2Man said:

A logical case can be made for proportional punishment, maybe some type of induced state of pure agony for the rest of his life - or a coma.

It is good when some people die, terrorists and genocidal dictators included, of course here is an example of real subhuman filth
Sydney’s Iraqi community erupted into celebration in Auburn the moment news broke that Saddam Hussein was dead.

Taxi driver Ayad Laftah, 37, of Yagoona, whose father and brother were killed under the dictator’s regime, burst into cries of “Allah Akbar”, waved his arms and threw sweets into the air.

Holding back tears he cried: “At last, justice for my father and brother."

Car horns rang out across Auburn as news spread.

"I had to grow up without my father because, one day in 1981, he just disappeared,” Mr Laftah said. “The same with my brother, Jewaad. He was just 21 ... To hear Saddam has been executed makes this the happiest day of my life."

Mr Laftah has been in Australia for 16 years after arriving as a refugee.

Fairfield Heights pharmacist Abdul Hamady described yesterday as “justice day”.
link

Last edited:
Shag On A Rock said:
Life is weaker than death, and death is weaker than love.: Khalil Gibran.

RIP Saddam. Rest your troubled mind and weary heart. What's done is done. Let it go. RIP.

This is the best post that has been made in any Saddam thread. :up:

So easy for us to forgive and let bygons be bygons but we were not his victims were we ?

He was our news and nothing more.

Zoomerang96 said:
this is the single most ridiculous thread i have ever read since i started here.

absolutely ridiculous

Yeah, only due to people like you.

shart1780 said:
His suffering doesn't make me happy in the slightest, it's the fact that justice has been done that I like.

How is this justice rather than bloodthirsty revenge?

shart1780 said:
Yes, the dead do deserve respect to a point, but Saddam was an EVIL man.

He committed some of the most foul atrocities of the 20th century and deserves the absolute sternest condemnation for those acts. However, you need to get out of your black and white world. No person is completely pure or completely evil. It is all shades of grey.

shart1780 said:
The thing that gets to me is that a man who caused pain and suffering for millions of people and familes is getting more respect here today than the millions of other innocent people who live honest lives.

It's because his death is newsworthy and controversial. No-one here by any means holds him in higher regard than those millions of innocent people. I can name barely a handful of people I respect or like less than Saddam, and they have names such as Stalin and Pol Pot.

For all those millions of people, I would like to say RIP, and that is said with a depth of heartfelt sincerity that Saddam could never earn. I hope the memory of the lives of each one of those individuals may be cherished and that they are now at peace in a better place.

shart1780 said:
To act like Saddam was somehow "misunderstood" is silly.

To act as if anyone here has claimed that is silly.

A_Wanderer said:
A logical case can be made for proportional punishment, maybe some type of induced state of pure agony for the rest of his life - or a coma.

Yeah, let's torture criminals. That's a great punishment, officially endorsed by, guess who, Saddam Hussein himself! :yes:

I do not see why, in dispensing justice, we should lower ourselves to the level of the guilty party.

Axver.....so you want to have a RIP thread......then do so....why not just do it and walk away instead of having to comment on each and every comment that is made that you dont agree with.
just walk away......

someone said...." we're not in iraq"...that's a good point.

a wanderer said induced state of pure agony.....(like torture?)...or a coma.. and in some peoples eyes some believe he is going to burn in hell...or some believe he is going to heaven ...although it is believed that heaven only exists if you kill yourself in terrorist acts...for some of those radical guys.....

the coma thing
that made me chuckle a bit

I remember seeing the pictures of the gassings ......i remember an old lady and a baby...I dont remember if she was holding the baby or not and I guess it really doesnt matter.....I kinda hope she was holding that baby to her if they had to die that way.

there is no denying that the guy is dangerous to others......
im glad he doesnt live in this world anymore

Last edited:
vaz02 said:
So easy for us to forgive and let bygons be bygons but we were not his victims were we ?

He was our news and nothing more.

He was executed more for trying to kill Dubya's dad than he was for killing fellow Iraqis. Let's not forget who's still pulling the strings over there.

carrieluvv said:
Axver.....so you want to have a RIP thread......then do so....why not just do it and walk away instead of having to comment on each and every comment that is made that you dont agree with.
just walk away......

Well, this is a messageboard, so I'll engage people in discussion. That's the point, isn't it? Not to mention that some of the comments were responses to me, either specifically directed to me or generally directed towards an argument I had put forward, so I figured that I should respond.

I also don't believe some points should be left standing. They should be knocked down.

Now, if this thread were getting to me and I began to lose my composure, become angry, or otherwise take FYM too seriously, then I'd get up and walk away. I'm rather calm at the moment though, and I don't see Interference changing that.

Axver's live journal...

Contradiction is balance

so i guess your in a happier place since your world has been rocked a little......

thank you saddam

vaz02 said:

I don't think anyone here is forgiving him. Some are capable of seeing however, that he was human no matter how evil his actions.

Honestly I didn't think this was such a hard concept to grasp, but I guess I was wrong.

carrieluvv said:
Axver's live journal...

Contradiction is balance

so i guess your in a happier place since your world has been rocked a little......

thank you saddam

... :huh:

I'd provide a more substantial reply if I could figure out what you're on about and what it has to do with anything.

indra said:

I don't think anyone here is forgiving him. Some are capable of seeing however, that he was human no matter how evil his actions.

:yes: :yes:

I applaud this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom