Riot in Dublin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
[q] BBC NEWS
Officers injured in Dublin riot

Several police officers and a journalist have been hurt during a republican riot in Dublin.

Disturbances broke out in O'Connell Street in the city centre, where a unionist rally to remember the victims of republican violence was to start.

Stones and fireworks were thrown after republican demonstrators mounted a counter-march. The loyalist rally was cancelled as a result of the trouble.

Several cars were set on fire and up to 40 people have been arrested.

It is understood a total of 14 people were injured, including six police officers who were taken to hospital for treatment.

A number of protesters were also injured during the clashes.

The demonstrators said they would "not allow a loyalist march to pass".

Republicans threw missiles at police in riot gear.

It is understood the counter-march was organised by Republican Sinn Fein - a political party which broke away from Sinn Fein in the 1980s.

Sinn Fein maintained they were in no way involved in the violence.

The loyalsts who had intended parading along O'Connell Street staged a short rally outside Leinster House before returning north.

It is the essence of Irish democracy and republicanism that people are allowed to express their views freely and in a peaceful manner
Bertie Ahern
Irish Prime Minister

One of the buses carrying them home was attacked by stone throwers as it approached the border town of Dundalk in County Louth.

Ulster Unionist, Michael Copeland, who was on board, said the rioters had nothing to offer society.

Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern said the unionists should have enjoyed the freedom to demonstrate their views.

"There is absolutely no excuse for the disgraceful scenes in Dublin," he said.

"It is the essence of Irish democracy and republicanism that people are allowed to express their views freely and in a peaceful manner.

"People who wantonly attack gardai (police) and property have no respect for their fellow citizens."

Up to 1,000 people had been expected to take part in the Love Ulster rally to remember those affected by republican violence.

DUP and Ulster Unionist politicians were among those who had hoped to parade through the centre of the city, in a march organised by the victims group Fair.

A delegation was to meet the Republic's Justice Minister, Michael McDowell after the march.

Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams said the rioting was "entirely wrong and reprehensible".

"There is no justification for what happened this afternoon in Dublin. Sinn Fein had appealed to people to ignore this loyalist parade and not to be provoked by it.

"Our view was that it should not be opposed in any way and we made that clear. Regrettably a small, unrepresentative group, chose to ignore our appeal."

The only message these people have managed to convey to the people of Ireland is that sectarian violence is, once again, being unleashed against all of the principles of the Good Friday Agreement
Michael McDowell
Irish Justice Minister

Democratic Unionist MP Jeffrey Donaldson, who had been due to speak at the event, said: "We have received a warm welcome from ordinary Dubliners, but its clear these republicans have come from north of the border and other areas intent only on causing trouble.

"They have done that and once again unionists through the threat of violence have denied unionists civil liberties."

Ulster Unionist deputy leader Danny Kennedy and Fair director William Frazer handed a letter of complaint to Michael McDowell.

Mr Kennedy said: "It's ironic that republicans are telling unionists that speaking rights are available to us in the Dail (Irish Parliament) and yet here were we denied speaking rights because of republicans.

"They completely showed themselves for what they are."

Mr McDowell said "acts of thuggery, brutality, cowardice and inhumanity" had been unleashed on the people of Dublin by "an organised mob".

"The only message these people have managed to convey to the people of Dublin and of Ireland is that sectarian violence is, once again, being unleashed against all of the principles of the Good Friday Agreement and the overwhelming wishes of the Irish people."

Irish President Mary McAleese said the rioting was "totally unacceptable".

The SDLP's Alban Maginness strongly condemned the republican rioters.

"It is disturbing that marchers have been prevented from peaceful demonstration," he said.

"This action of extreme republicans simply plays into hands of those of the unionist right who cannot conceive unionist rights being upheld in a new Ireland."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4750576.stm

Published: 2006/02/25 16:32:56 GMT

© BBC MMVI[/q]

A bunch of silly boys. These people are either political fanatics or just the type that is always looking for an excuse to start hassle with police. They would be better off enjoying all the great rugby this weekend.

I tend to think that the police were caught between a rock and a hard place, as during a previous, though less serious, disturbance a few years ago (caused on that occasion by anti-globalisation protestors) some of the police ended up in court on assault charges, so they may have been reluctant to crack down hard in the early stages of this riot.

Last edited:
Here's some pictures I took

ab7c31c8.jpg

82a08bcc.jpg

b2ee02a3.jpg

Last edited:
^ it is a dumpster, one you would use when you are having a lot of work done at your house, it is what you would use to throw wood and such into

0b57acfc.jpg

I'm fuming! - Look at what they've done to the place! Hopefully the casualities were minimal, bloody eejits...dragging my beloved emerald isle back to the past again AAAARGH!:mad:

Irishteen said:
^ Ye you are right, the march was a stupid idea

Well perhaps but I agree with the right to march (I don't agree wth the political viewpoint of the marchers). Just to be clear it's the anti-march contingent that caused the problems here and not the marchers themselves (in fact the march itself was cancelled).

I've checked a few other discussion sites and seemingly what happened was largely caused by an unholy alliance of local scumbags, anarchists and extremist anti-GFA republicans, some of whom allegedly came down from the North specifically to cause hassle.

I have no issue with allowing the march itself, nor do I have a problem with anyone who wanted to mount a peaceful counter demonstration - the problem here is the hijacking of the anti-march contigent by extremist elements.

financeguy said:
A bunch of silly boys. These people are either political fanatics or just the type that is always looking for an excuse to start hassle with police. They would be better off enjoying all the great rugby this weekend.

I tend to think that the police were caught between a rock and a hard place, as during a previous, though less serious, disturbance a few years ago (caused on that occasion by anti-globalisation protestors) some of the police ended up in court on assault charges, so they may have been reluctant to crack down hard in the early stages of this riot.

Thank Jaysus I wasn't in town this evening. I was planning to do some shopping , but decided to stay in bed instead.

If you look closely at the videos from the riots, you can notice many of the eejits stiring shite were pissed outta their heads.

financeguy said:

Well perhaps but I agree with the right to march (I don't agree wth the political viewpoint of the marchers). Just to be clear it's the anti-march contingent that caused the problems here and not the marchers themselves (in fact the march itself was cancelled).

I've checked a few other discussion sites and seemingly what happened was largely caused by an unholy alliance of local scumbags, anarchists and extremist anti-GFA republicans, some of whom allegedly came down from the North specifically to cause hassle.

I have no issue with allowing the march itself, nor do I have a problem with anyone who wanted to mount a peaceful counter demonstration - the problem here is the hijacking of the anti-march contigent by extremist elements.

Yes but, come on the march was going to led to this, maybe in a perfect world where people don't have to be violent about the things they dislike, we coulod have marches like this, but we can't, the march was always going to lead to violence

Niamh_Saoirse said:

Thank Jaysus I wasn't in town this evening. I was planning to do some shopping , but decided to stay in bed instead.

If you look closely at the videos from the riots, you can notice many of the eejits stiring shite were pissed outta their heads.

You were lucky, we didn't even know about this. Our parents warned us at about 2:30, by which time we were already taking the long way to Cineworld.

financeguy said:
some of whom allegedly came down from the North specifically to cause hassle.

that's interesting cos the AP article that I've seen a few times today calls them "IRA-Protestant" riots, whatever that's supposed to mean...I thought it was funny they made it see like the IRA got on a bus and came down for that specific purpose but who knows.

financeguy said:

Wise move.:wink:

Tell me about it! From now on, it's only Dundrum Shopping Centre for me. :laugh:

Although I agree that everybody has a right to march and express their opinions, whoever authorised this march is a fecking dumbass. It was obvious it was going to end up like this! What can you expect?

I showed Irishteen's pics to my bf's ma (she's from up North) and she said it reminded her of many sad experiences she had in Belfast ( but she is from Co. Down).

Back
Top Bottom