Riot in Dublin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
looky at the pic I found...what a mess :yikes:

ojik5z.jpg

just saw on the news they also had some minor violence in florida today, neo-nazis marching around through a black neighborhood. :rolleyes:

by the way i'm glad you're okay as well john, i think i forgot to mention that earlier when i was yelling at you for getting near to riots. :hug: :wink:

Last edited:
That video is terrible, never thought I would see something like that

^^ No, I don't have enough of a interest unless it endangers me in somewhat

^^^ thanks VG :hug:

Orange bands & marchers walking past the GPO. Cmon it was never going to happen.
Especially when the marchers had placards with the guy that bombed Dublin with the help of the Brits.

Isn't O'Connell Street where Bono grew up? :hmm:

[/u2 fanboy]

I'm glad everyone here is okay, but this all seems so needless. :(

wow ! those pics are fucking amazing
the circumstances suck but ...............

did the orange men always march thru dublin? i know they march thru catholic parts of NI and incite riots ( or used to )...but ..I dont remember hearing that was a tradition in ireland

Last edited:
the young people involved makes me sad.

it seems as though.....they just got sucked into the chaos and got involved....

just like young people everywhere i spose

^ There was a lot of old people there as well, but ye there was a good few young people, I saw several jump the barriers and throw cinder blocks at police, I saw dozens throwing bottles, and as I was leaving I saw a bunch of them taking blocks from roadworks, it was hard to believe this was really happening

is that the first time the orange order has tried to march thru dublin?

im intrigued or am i intriqued?

is it g or q

carrieluvv said:

im intrigued or am i intriqued?

is it g or q

I have certainly never heard of the Orange Order marching through Dublin. Of course this doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

The Orangemen got what they wanted. Lets be honest here, they organized this march for this specfic reason, to make republicans look bad. Its hard to say who organized the counter march and subsequent riot but foriegn media will pick this up as the IRA rioting.

This is fuel for the loyalist groups.

I'm not saying they shouldnt be allowed to march but at the end of the day I'm not remotely suprised there was riots either.

Did anyone see the report be Charlie Bryd on RTE. He got a bit of a lickin, they called him a Prod Bastard and started to punch and kick him. He'll write a book now.

bonoman said:
The Orangemen got what they wanted. Lets be honest here, they organized this march for this specfic reason, to make republicans look bad. Its hard to say who organized the counter march and subsequent riot but foriegn media will pick this up as the IRA rioting.

This is fuel for the loyalist groups.

I'm not saying they shouldnt be allowed to march but at the end of the day I'm not remotely suprised there was riots either.

Did anyone see the report be Charlie Bryd on RTE. He got a bit of a lickin, they called him a Prod Bastard and started to punch and kick him. He'll write a book now.

I agree with you there. Being the nosy journalist that I am, I was in the city centre the whole afternoon.

It started out as a political protest, but soon there were mostly teens just trying to pick a fight with the police. Nothing political there at all. It was one big and sad mess.

The kicking of that journalist, Charlie Byrd, happened about 30 metres from where I was standing. He came running from the crowd, a guy chasing him. The guy managed to tackle him (causing Charlie to hit his head against a steel bin standing on O'Connell Street) and started punching him. Charlie kept shouting 'I didn't do anything!'. A couple of people in the crowd (I was standing too far away from it) pulled the guy off him and the journalist could get away. The guy that punched and kicked him had blood all over his hands and was limping.

This morning I looked at the newspaper and the guy that tackled and hit Charlie Byrd was on the front page throwing a rock at the police. Sad stuff...

In the Netherlands football hooligans do this kind of stuff. I think they are no different from the people that did this. They love violence... I think the political views were way on the background for most of those teens...

carrieluvv said:
I think the last time was in 1936, why they felt the need to do it 70 years later is beyond me. You can't help but think it was a deliberate attempt at creating violence, especially with the marchers holding pictures of Robert McConnell.

Dutch Partygirl said:

The kicking of that journalist, Charlie Byrd, happened about 30 metres from where I was standing. He came running from the crowd, a guy chasing him. The guy managed to tackle him (causing Charlie to hit his head against a steel bin standing on O'Connell Street) and started punching him. Charlie kept shouting 'I didn't do anything!'. A couple of people in the crowd (I was standing too far away from it) pulled the guy off him and the journalist could get away. The guy that punched and kicked him had blood all over his hands and was limping.

:tsk: disgusting.

mickeza said:

I think the last time was in 1936, why they felt the need to do it 70 years later is beyond me. You can't help but think it was a deliberate attempt at creating violence, especially with the marchers holding pictures of Robert McConnell.

It was obvious something like this would happen especially when they were carrying pictures of that guy. If they had wanted to march anywhere they should have marched in the north, they're in the majority there, but no, typical loyalists, have to go out of their way to cause trouble. And as if it wasn't bad enough that they caused a nuisance in Dublin, they went back to Portadown got pissed and went on the rampage, beating up police officers and went down to pubs filled with catholics to attack them too!! They gave the impression on Saturday afternoon that what the republicans were doing was out of order yet its ok for them to head up north and do the same thing the same night!!

Why they had to have a 'love ulster' parade in Dublin is beside me. Its not a case of 'love ulster' and more a case of love causing trouble.

I'm going to be there for St. Pat's week - those boys better behave by then :sad:

You know what bugs me? - When the annual drumcree riots start up it's always by restless youths or forty year old men who are stalwart with 'their cause.

You ever notice when they interview the locals it's always middle-aged men who chant the 'no surrender'

Ireland's is always dragged from making any sort of progress cos of this....Nobody cares anymore they just want to get on! Man I hope my cousins are okay!

Whats been the Unionist response to the riots? Are they using it as another excuse to accuse the Republic of being a sectarian nation?:huh:

What was their reason for wanting to march in Dublin anyway?

As far as i know it is believed that splinter political party from Sinn Fein may have been involved in the riots...forget what they call themselves:huh: well other than bastards....

The whole 'Love Ulster' thing is a sham anyway...i remember when they just started it up and they were saying how was to be all inclusive....:madspit:

Its bad enough when they tear apart the North bah hopefully there won't be a bad worldwide reaction to the South...

What was their reason for wanting to march in Dublin anyway?

Yeah, really. Why'd they come down to Dublin for this? It's bad enough when trouble gets started up north. Why bring it down south?

And forgive me for asking such a dumb question, but who is Robert McConnell? :huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom