Right Winger Who Calls a Spade A Spade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Sept. 8, 2005 — In 35 years of service as a soldier, Colin Powell earned a reputation as the quintessential disciplined warrior. As Secretary of State in President Bush's first term, Powell was widely seen as a disciplined, moderate — and loyal — voice for the administration. Now out of government service, Powell is airing openly his disappointments and frustration on everything from the invasion of Iraq to the federal response to Hurricane Katrina.

Powell, 68, who recently visited storm survivors at Reunion Arena in Dallas, said he was "deeply moved" by the families displaced by the devastating storm and was critical of the preparations for Hurricane Katrina. "I think there have been a lot of failures at a lot of levels — local, state and federal. There was more than enough warning over time about the dangers to New Orleans. Not enough was done. I don't think advantage was taken of the time that was available to us, and I just don't know why," Powell told ABC News' Barbara Walters in an exclusive interview airing Friday night at 10 p.m. on "20/20."

Powell doesn't think race was a factor in the slow delivery of relief to the hurricane victims as some have suggested. "I don't think it's racism, I think it's economic," he told Walters.

"When you look at those who weren't able to get out, it should have been a blinding flash of the obvious to everybody that when you order a mandatory evacuation, you can't expect everybody to evacuate on their own. These are people who don't have credit cards; only one in 10 families at that economic level in New Orleans have a car. So it wasn't a racial thing — but poverty disproportionately affects African-Americans in this country. And it happened because they were poor," he said.

Full Coverage: Katrina
20/20 Message Board

Colin Powell on Iraq, Race, and Hurricane Relief
On the Trail of Dracula
John Stossel's Web Page

Making False Case for War Still 'Painful'

When Powell left the Bush administration in January 2005, he was widely seen as having been at odds with Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Vice President Dick Cheney over foreign policy choices.

It was Powell who told the United Nations and the world that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and posed an imminent threat. He told Walters that he feels "terrible" about the claims he made in that now-infamous address — assertions that later proved to be false.

When asked if he feels it has tarnished his reputation, he said, "Of course it will. It's a blot. I'm the one who presented it on behalf of the United States to the world, and [it] will always be a part of my record. It was painful. It's painful now."

He doesn't blame former CIA Director George Tenet for the misleading information he says he pored over for days before delivering his speech; he faults the intelligence system.

"George Tenet did not sit there for five days with me misleading me. He believed what he was giving to me was accurate. … The intelligence system did not work well," he said.

Nonetheless, Powell said, some lower-level personnel in the intelligence community failed him and the country. "There were some people in the intelligence community who knew at that time that some of these sources were not good, and shouldn't be relied upon, and they didn't speak up. That devastated me," he said.

While Powell ultimately supported the president's decision to invade Iraq, he acknowledges that he was hesitant about waging war. "I'm always a reluctant warrior. And I don't resent the term, I admire the term, but when the president decided that it was not tolerable for this regime to remain in violation of all these U.N. resolutions, I'm right there with him with the use of force," he said.[/Q]

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Politics/story?id=1105979&page=1

Enjoy the rest of the article.

I've always thought he was fairly decent, to be honest. What I dont get is the need to pinpoint blame here. For the left and right of your country to once more take moral righteousness to new levels, lows, to vilify the other to show strength in themselves. I personally think your administration most certainly could have done better, and the better could have been done from all levels, as Mr Colon (Sorry, cant help it) suggests. But why bother? For what purpose? To boost the left? To gloat if Bush can ever admit he was wrong? I dont see how you as a country can swallow this bullshit when there are still thousands missing, thousands sleeping on foldup camp beds, thousands (possibly) dead, peple who have no homes, no possessions, lost family, pets, livelihoods gone, jobs and workplaces are gone, businesses have been physically destroyed, disease is rife, crime is threatening to overwhelm all, anger, water, frustation is absoulutely everywhere. It is surely impossible to comprehend. And yet we sit here clean and dry with our lives so unchanged while their level of poverty nosedives to a level which America is absolutely unaccustomed to. I cant help but think, what is this to do? Will it help anyone? Speaking from anger and despair is one thing. But is this?
:slant:

"I don't think it's racism, I think it's economic,"

He has it absolutely right...

I've been telling everyone around me, if Kanye said poor people instead of black people he would have been 100% right. And I will stand by that.

"When you look at those who weren't able to get out, it should have been a blinding flash of the obvious to everybody that when you order a mandatory evacuation, you can't expect everybody to evacuate on their own. These are people who don't have credit cards; only one in 10 families at that economic level in New Orleans have a car. So it wasn't a racial thing — but poverty disproportionately affects African-Americans in this country. And it happened because they were poor," he said.

"He doesn't blame former CIA Director George Tenet for the misleading information he says he pored over for days before delivering his speech; he faults the intelligence system.

"George Tenet did not sit there for five days with me misleading me. He believed what he was giving to me was accurate. … The intelligence system did not work well," he said. "

HAHA

I don´t believe a word of that.

Iraq was very much planned, the WMDs served as cover-up reason. The whole thing about "we have to defend ourselves" - how someone can be fooled by such ridiculous phrases is beyond my imagination. Powell knew this very well and had his share in executing it. He, like the rest of the administration, is directly responsible for a few hundreds of dead American soldiers.

Painful painful... Bullshit, man. Then why did you do it. The mothers of the fallen soldiers feel more pain than you, thank you very much, case closed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom