Right wing hate mongers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
drhark said:
I've heard of Focus on the Family. Not sure how much political power Dr. Dobson has or if he's even active in Washington. Maybe he is. Never heard of the others. There has to be more to the powerful religious right than that.

Really? You don't see it? I don't think we would have even had gay marriage on the ballot of some 11 or 13 states if the religious right didn't have power.:|

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This is a pretty simplistic way to look at the issue.

You have one group that in essence wants to opress another group by not allowing them equal rights. And why? Based on their interpretation of one or two lines in the Bible. Not because someone's being harmed, not for constitutional reasons. They choose to ignore so many other pieces of the Bible. Doesn't sound like a simple two sides of the story to me sounds like hate.

I guess we have to agree that we have differing ideas of what opression and equal rights are.
So go ahead then call them right wing haters. I, however, will definitely not refer to pro abortion proponents as "killers."

I need more names of powerful political lobbies that make up the "Religious Right"

drhark said:

I guess we have to agree that we have differing ideas of what opression and equal rights are.
So go ahead then call them right wing haters. I, however, will definitely not refer to pro abortion proponents as "killers."

It's pro choice not pro abortion. Pro abortion would mean one is for abortion in all pregnancies, and I think you would be very hard pressed to find anyone with that view.

And you were the one to title this thread. ;)

drhark said:
I need more names of powerful political lobbies that make up the "Religious Right"

Real political power is often not wielded by household names. With notoriety comes light and inspection. Power brokers work best stealthily.

Macfistowannabe said:
Do I hear a call for political correctness?

Nope, but I'm not surprised you think you do. It's a good all purpose phrase to attack those who disagree with you (not just you specifically). I offered a clarification. Pro choice is simply more accurate than pro abortion (and I already explained why).

now it's a semantic argument. I'll rephrase:

I, however, will definitely not refer to pro choice proponents as "killers."

It seems we've come full circle and still using the term "Hate" to describe right wing political groups. I guess my exercise failed:(

indra said:

Real political power is often not wielded by household names. With notoriety comes light and inspection. Power brokers work best stealthily.

The recent defeat of gay marriage initiatives by the electorate in eleven states would seem to refute this idea that the Religious Right "power brokers" worked stealthily behind the scenes to advance their agenda

Still waiting........

drhark said:

It seems we've come full circle and still using the term "Hate" to describe right wing political groups. I guess my exercise failed:(

Well you and many others haven't answered fundamental question asked by myself and others so no your exercise didn't work.

Dobson has a lot of power. Frequent meetings with W, Meet the Press with Falwell, and to my joy Wallis.

Pat Robertson's org is exptremely powerful. He has said it doesn't matter what W does, no matter if he screws up, because he's been chosen by God.

They had lost a lot of their political might due to the scandals, like Jim Baker, ect but the Clinton moral outrage put some air in their tires. Now Dobson claims the Religious right reelected Bush and he owes them big time.

To put it in the characterization of hate Robertson has prayed on live TV for the SUpreme Court Justices to die so W can appoint several. SICK

drhark said:

The recent defeat of gay marriage initiatives by the electorate in eleven states would seem to refute this idea that the Religious Right "power brokers" worked stealthily behind the scenes to advance their agenda

Still waiting........

Of course they did. Those initiatives were on the ballot to mobilize the base, and get them out to vote, mostly for little Bush (hence the "morals" vote). The power brokers wanted Bush to win, and since he couldn't win on his own, these initiatives were dragged out and the "destruction of society as we know it" fearmongering was pushed. Most of the people who voted to ban gay marriages and civil unions also voted for Bush. The power brokers orchestrated it, and just as they wanted it, very few people even see them behind the curtain at the controls.

Last edited:
drhark said:

Still waiting........

The defeat? All 11 voted to pass the ban. This doesn't show you anything?

Scarletwine said:

To put it in the characterization of hate Robertson has prayed on live TV for the SUpreme Court Justices to die so W can appoint several. SICK

This really stood out. For obvious reasons. You mean to tell me this man prayed that someone would die??? He wished death no no not wished, prayed to God that a judge would die? Pleaseeeee show me where that happened. Links, anything. I find that very hard to believe.

thacraic said:

This really stood out. For obvious reasons. You mean to tell me this man prayed that someone would die??? He wished death no no not wished, prayed to God that a judge would die? Pleaseeeee show me where that happened. Links, anything. I find that very hard to believe.

Probably talking about this.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/07/17/cnna.robertson/index.html

indra said:

Of course they did. Those initiatives were on the ballot to mobilize the base, and get them out to vote, mostly for little Bush (hence the "morals" vote). The power brokers wanted Bush to win, and since he couldn't win on his own, these initiatives were dragged out and the "destruction of society as we know it" fearmongering was pushed. Most of the people who voted to ban gay marriages and civil unions also voted for Bush. The power brokers orchestrated it, and just as they wanted it, very few people even see them behind the curtain at the controls.

OK, I'll give you that, possibly. It does take some organization to get an initiative on the ballot. But is it power brokers or grass roots? Probably a bit of both

Scarletwine said:

Provide a source or retract that nonsense NOW.

Here's a quote from the article:
On the Web site of his Christian Broadcasting Network, he said, "One justice is 83 years old, another has cancer and another has a heart condition. Would it not be possible for God to put it in the minds of these three judges that the time has come to retire?"

Nothing about dying.

Another telling quote from the article:

ROBERTSON: Well they can interpret it any way they want to. I'm talking to God, and it's up to him to make a decision and if some of these folks don't like what I'm praying for and want to pray the other way, have at it? Let the Lord decide.

No. I'm still looking.

The websight doesn't have all the quotes accurately.

I got rid of all of my pre-election crap to rid my computer of that negativity.

Last edited:
wannabe yuppies drinking there mocha javas accusing anything and anyone so they can feel better about themselves, and feel like they made an impact. It takes balls and guts to make a positive impact in life. take a page out of Bonos book and make a positive impact. Don`t sit there staring at me, sipping on your mocha java. Scarlet before i go, do you have any other faith or race or person that doesn`t share your beliefs that you would like to slander?

drhark said:
The goal of politics is not to show love or hate, it is to shape your society according to what you believe is best for it.

Exactly, that is a great way to put it. I consider myself "conservative" on many issues, but I have a ton of friends that are way more "liberal" than I am. We have great conversations and it never affects our friendships or anything. There are oppressors on both sides of the political spectrum and it always makes me sad to think about.

naxos said:
wannabe yuppies drinking there mocha javas accusing anything and anyone so they can feel better about themselves, and feel like they made an impact. It takes balls and guts to make a positive impact in life. take a page out of Bonos book and make a positive impact. Don`t sit there staring at me, sipping on your mocha java. Scarlet before i go, do you have any other faith or race or person that doesn`t share your beliefs that you would like to slander?

Thanks for staring down your nose upon everyone here and casting judgement. Brand new here and yet you have everyone pegged.

By the way I hate coffee and word yuppies went out with the 80's.

what? did my discription describe you? soRry. my judgement applies only to those who fit the discription!

Bonovox i like your sig. unfortunately i haven`t heeded those words of wisdom.

naxos said:
what? did my discription describe you? soRry. my judgement applies only to those who fit the discription!

if you're going to judge, you'd better back it up with something more substantial than someone's choice of beverage (straight up coffee for me ... if i'm feeling like spluring, i'll take a soy latte).

naxos said:

Oh because it sure sounded like an overall statement towards everyone here. I've been in here for awhile and this description describes none of the people in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom