Right to Bear Arms on Docket... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive

Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

The Supreme Court Court is not acting as activists judges in this case. This was brought to the Court by Washington D.C. bacause they lost the case in a lower court. The suit was brought against D.C. by a D.C. law enforecement officer who disagreed with the D.C. gun ban.
Well obviously all cases before the SCOTUS are there on appeal from a lower court. The definition of "activist judge" has nothing to do with this procedural rule so I'm not really sure what you're referring to here.

(For the record, I think the talk of activist judges is mostly BS - they're activist when they disagree with whatever your particular position seems to be. But, had they ruled otherwise, I have no doubt we'd hear crowing about what an activist court this has become.)

Old 03-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:29 PM
America can go on arming itself, so the world can continue spinning.
Thank God!

"The maintenance of the right to bear arms is a most essential one to every free people and should not be whittled down by technical constructions."

Yes, every day I wake up and feel my freedom to be so infringed and can hardly cope with this essential freedom taken from me by my government. I'm so unfree.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #18
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Well obviously all cases before the SCOTUS are there on appeal from a lower court. The definition of "activist judge" has nothing to do with this procedural rule so I'm not really sure what you're referring to here.

(For the record, I think the talk of activist judges is mostly BS - they're activist when they disagree with whatever your particular position seems to be. But, had they ruled otherwise, I have no doubt we'd hear crowing about what an activist court this has become.)

What is the definition of an activist judge?

This gun issue...

Whatever they decided, I do not think this case is an example of "activists judges."
Old 03-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
America can go on arming itself, so the world can continue spinning.
Thank God!

"The maintenance of the right to bear arms is a most essential one to every free people and should not be whittled down by technical constructions."

Yes, every day I wake up and feel my freedom to be so infringed and can hardly cope with this essential freedom taken from me by my government. I'm so unfree.
Well they also have stronger freedom of speech protections, take the good with the bad.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:37 PM   #20
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 03:29 AM
I always thoughts that 'the right to bear arms' meant you know in self defence, like protecting the country and the like, not shooting someone cause they don't go yo drug money, or going on some killing spree cause you're depressed.

I also believe that people who want a gun for self defence, and not understand the gravatis of the situation. Shoot dead an intruder armed with a knife - wow, you're so brave, and now you've taken someones life. It just seems so unbalanced and wrong.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:12 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

So protecting your person and property doesn't fall under self-defence? A moot point, an argument based on the freedom to own a gun in principle rather than the conditional case of self-protection (which isn't clear) makes more sense.

If somebody has broken into a house with a knife and the person in the house is at serious risk then harming or killing them should generally fall under self-protection - it shouldn't matter if it is unfair. Would it be fair if you beat them to death with a hammer but wrong if you shoot them with a gun?

Self-defence should be proportionate, if somebody kills another person in self defence I fail to see what difference it makes whether they use a gun or any other tool. And again, just to reiterate that self-defence is a bad argument for gun ownership, if people need guns to survive then there are probably bigger problems.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:49 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Well they also have stronger freedom of speech protections, take the good with the bad.
The kind of speech that gets me in trouble here is so far of I can't really be bothered. Though I agree there is a legitimate argument for a full protection of freedom of speech, I wouldn't view this being worthy enough for everyone getting armed.

I don't feel so oppressed only because of some little freedom I have not. And this is like most other topics: I don't see the extremes as being necessary.

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy

I also believe that people who want a gun for self defence, and not understand the gravatis of the situation. Shoot dead an intruder armed with a knife - wow, you're so brave, and now you've taken someones life. It just seems so unbalanced and wrong.
I would be cautious seeing a knife as something not that dangerous. A knife is as dangerous a weapon as a gun.
And in the case of self-defense, if I got attacked by someone with a knive I would not hesitate to shoot should I have a gun.
The danger I see here more is that with nearly everyone having a gun, or the risk of that being much higher, an intruder is more likely to be armed himself and both sides are likely to be more trigger happy.

Giving everyone the right to get the gun of his liking isn't in any way addressing the reasons for crimes being committed, has more or less zero effect on the crime rate and is rather increasing the likelihood of turning a crime into a tragedy.
But guns are neither reason nor solution for the problem of crime.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

i look forward to getting held up at gunpoint as a result of this law.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
If somebody has broken into a house with a knife and the person in the house is at serious risk then harming or killing them should generally fall under self-protection - it shouldn't matter if it is unfair. Would it be fair if you beat them to death with a hammer but wrong if you shoot them with a gun?
Yes, because if you're being robbed in the middle of the night at knife point, amid all that chaos you are going to quickly and efficiently go downstairs to wherever you keep your gun safely locked away from your children, and proceed to aim at the intruder.

This scenario is one of the sillier arguments in favour of gun control.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
And again, just to reiterate that self-defence is a bad argument for gun ownership
The point that I was making was that self defence is self defence, that there really isn't a difference between shooting somebody that poses a threat to your life and beating them to death with a blunt object; the reason would be the same as would the end result. It was in response to a post that stated that a gun was an unfair advantage against a hypothetical knife wielding intruder.

Your answer assumes that 1: the owner has a family, 2: that they live in a 2 story house 3: the gun is locked away far away from their bed. Your logistical argument is far too conditional to be a blanket case against guns as self-defence.

And guns for self-defence is a very silly argument for gun control.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

And guns for self-defence is a very silly argument for gun control.
What?

Gun control is a reasonable limitation in a civilized society. But this is really almost an irrelevant point in America, where the better question is - what makes the society that much more prone to gun violence (because gun ownership is not directly linked to gun violence aside from being an obvious prerequisite) with respect to other comparable western democracies.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
This scenario is one of the sillier arguments in favour of gun control.
You said that self-defence was a silly argument in favour of gun control; that is a true statement, was it the intended statement?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #28
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 03:29 AM
no my point in self defence is, the aim of it shouldn't be death. Most people shooting a weapon are going to cause big problems cause they arn't aiming for the leg or arm or something, they just wildy shoot at the head.

Of course someone should defend themselves but there is a huge difference from knocking someone else out with a bat or tackling them and tying them up, or smashing them over the head with a glass, then shooting point blank at them. If you accidentally kill someone from them falling and cracking their head after you hit them, thats not your fault, but if you are using a lethal weapon, with really no regard, care of knowledge its all going to end much worse.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Your examples of "reasonable" self defence include tackling and knocking out with a bat - they are things that people can't be expected to do (an averaged sized woman against an average sized man for instance). If somebody was threatening me with a knife tackling them would be the last thing on my mind, it would be suicidal. To even get close enough to strike them with a bat would be dangerous.

A proportionate response that ends up killing the agressor is not moral, but it shouldn't be criminal. That is what I take issue with; your implication that the right to protect ones life is trumped by an aggressors right to bodily safety. In cases of genuine self-defence fault should rest on the aggressor, not the victim. That when it comes to the absolute extreme of having your life directly threatened the response must aim to be non-lethal (as opposed to a frantic do as much damage to them if the opportunity arises - which it probably won't - response). If you have a strong moral opposition to violence in self-defense then it is fine for you to live your life accordingly; but to impose that upon other people would be wrong.

It is an argument independent of gun rights but one relevant for the right to protect oneself from harm. It is also so overtly simplistic as it glosses over what constitutes proportionality, if it extends to protection of property, how much somebody could have done being looked at retroactively etc.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:29 AM
One should compare the number of people killed by self defense with a legal gun, to the number of people murdered with a legal gun...

I guarantee you self defense will lose...