Reverends of the Race Card

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I can't get over how these "civil rights" leaders have to racially politicize everything. As we all "know," Bush just doesn't like black people. :rolleyes:

If we want a colorblind society, why do these idiots keep making race an issue?

jesse-jackson-mug-shrunk.jpg

"Why are there no African Americans in that circle?"

"How can blacks be left out of the leadership and trapped into the suffering?"

"There is a historical indifference to the pain of poor people, and black people ... we seem to adjust more easily to black pain."

"They are poor people, black people for the most part without private transportation, many of them are old and sick."

MATTHEWS: What do you think of George W. Bush, the president's performance in this effort?

JACKSON: Well, he never came to New Orleans. His Cabinet member never came to New Orleans. The Red Cross never came to New Orleans. They were told by Homeland Security, don't come.

They say it's dangerous. He went to Iraq. In two days, he was at 9/11 holding up the arms of fireman and police, which he should have done. But the firemen of New Orleans deserve their arms held up as well. It seems to me that his leadership was vital and missed in a time when it should-I think it really should have been present.

Reverend%20Al%20Sharpton.JPG

REV. AL SHARPTON: I feel race was a factor. Why? I remember almost a year ago to the day I was in Florida when a hurricane was coming not a point four, not a point five, and I saw the white house move. I saw the government of the president's brother move. National guard was already alerted before the storm ever hit. It seems to me that if we can be alert in Palm Beach, Florida, we could have been alert in New Orleans.

"I do think the nation would be responding differently if they were white elderly and white babies actually dying on the street." - David Billings

Last edited:
They're not "making race an issue", it is an issue

And I don't think they're "idiots" either. Colorblind doesn't mean blind to the issues of people of color.

:giggle:

I've actually met both of them.......:ohmy:

Anyway, they sometimes are dead on when it comes to racial issues...but many times they don't exactly help their cause. However race still is and always will be an issue here.

MrsSpringsteen said:
They're not "making race an issue", it is an issue

And I don't think they're "idiots" either. Colorblind doesn't mean blind to the issues of people of color.
I want some strong, solid evidence that supports their (seemingly) outrageous attacks on the president and FEMA for their apparent "racism." This goes for anyone.

U2democrat said:
:Anyway, they sometimes are dead on when it comes to racial issues...but many times they don't exactly help their cause.
I couldn't agree more.

U2democrat said:
However race still is and always will be an issue here.
I believe that one day we will finally get past it. We should've passed it long ago, but these kinds of racial agitators are what has been holding us back for decades. Can they make a living without playing the race card? Hmmm....

Well there are still plenty of white racists out there too.....some in my own family unfortunately. Come to Virginia...I can take you to a Klan camp if you want me to :|

Irvine511 said:
only white people have the luxury of wishing for a colorblind society.

race matters.
(Can't help wondering if Jesse Jackson would have a career in a colorblind society...)

If race matters, it shouldn't. I don't believe that a lot of minorities would agree with you that "only white people" can wish for a colorblind society. I feel the opposite is true, that they wish to blend in with the rest of us.

U2democrat said:
Well there are still plenty of white racists out there too.....some in my own family unfortunately. Come to Virginia...I can take you to a Klan camp if you want me to :|
Nah, I'll take your word for it.

Any kind of racial tension should have no place in politics.

Yes and as long as there are still racists and wretched evil like the KKK, we still need "agitators".

We've already discussed the race issue vis a vis Katrina in numerous threads- even if there isn't solid proof that racism played a part, we still need to face up to the racism that exists in this country.

Macfistowannabe said:
(Can't help wondering if Jesse Jackson would have a career in a colorblind society...)

If race matters, it shouldn't. I don't believe that a lot of minorities would agree with you that "only white people" can wish for a colorblind society. I feel the opposite is true, that they wish to blend in with the rest of us.

this post speaks for itself.

"the rest of us" speaks volumes.

Why do they care about racial issues? They're a racial minority, stupid. Why do conservative Christian groups always have to bring up the religious issues? They always act like this is the Roman Empire and they're being fed to the lions. :eyebrow:

Melon

Wow, that comment about "blending in" with the "rest of us" really sums up why race really is still an issue. Incredible.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Yes and as long as there are still racists and wretched evil like the KKK, we still need "agitators".
There are all kinds of ideas that will never be completely eliminated. I don't see the need for racial agitators any more than I see the need for anyone still fighting to let women into the workforce.

MrsSpringsteen said:
We've already discussed the race issue vis a vis Katrina in numerous threads- even if there isn't solid proof that racism played a part, we still need to face up to the racism that exists in this country.
I missed much of the discussion, but did notice a thread entitled, "Black people loot, white people 'find things'."

sulawesigirl4 said:
Wow, that comment about "blending in" with the "rest of us" really sums up why race really is still an issue. Incredible.
I was simply seeing myself as a minority who wants to fit in. Nice job for those who had to take it out of context.

Irvine511 said:
and your inability to do so accurately underscores precisely why race matters so much.
So tell me about it. All you've said is that it matters. Now tell me why without personalizing my posts.

Macfistowannabe said:

i think that our society is in a bit of a rut when it comes to dealing with racism in the sense that we readily decry blatant displays of racism, but still turn a blind eye to less obvious, ingrained, systematic racism that underlies our culture, our political and legal institutions, our view of society, etc.

i disagree with your point that everyone just wants to "blend in" with the rest of "us". i suspect that everyone simply wants to be recognized and accepted for who they are, but not judged on the basis of skin colour.

i personally object to the use of the term "race" to identify a specific group of people, because the term itself is a political construct, by nature designed to differentiate "us" from "them". in that sense, race shouldn't matter, but since it does exist, it has to matter.

Macfistowannabe said:
Now tell me why without personalizing my posts.

I don't think he is personalizing your posts, nor is anyone else. You are posting what you think about this issue and maybe people have the right to have questions about it.

dandy said:
i disagree with your point that everyone just wants to "blend in" with the rest of "us". i suspect that everyone simply wants to be recognized and accepted for who they are, but not judged on the basis of skin colour.

bingo

Macfistowannabe said:
There are all kinds of ideas that will never be completely eliminated. I don't see the need for racial agitators any more than I see the need for anyone still fighting to let women into the workforce.

are you just goading us, or do you really think that?

MrsSpringsteen said:
Why do you think minorities need or want to "fit in" ? What exactly does that mean?
Just as I want to fit in with society. To be a part of it without Jesse Jackson saying "there aren't enough Macfisto's in this forum. I will not rest until 50% of all posters have Macfisto in their name." Now is that so difficult?

dandy said:
are you just goading us, or do you really think that?
Let me simplify it for you. I don't need to hear Jesse Jackson's profound, yet predictable accusations of racism every time we have a hurricane.

looks like everybody else heard this too.

i am sure you believe your remark was neutral

most of us

have a hard time admitting our opinions could be wrong

"if women stopped bitching about sexism
life would be a lot better of all of us- men and women alike"

some find no harm in this statement
some might find a lacking

I can argue I want a better life for ALL of us.

dandy said:
i suspect that everyone simply wants to be recognized and accepted for who they are, but not judged on the basis of skin colour.
I agree. But how can we achieve this when we cry "racism" day after day without any credibility?

deep said:
looks like everybody else heard this too.

i am sure you believe your remark was neutral

most of us

have a hard time admitting our opinions could be wrong
Or may have phrased it in a way that could be taken out of context. Honest mistake, now let's move on with the discussion.

Back
Top Bottom