Reverends of the Race Card

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These current
Reverends are nowhere near the love and truth that Martin Luther King Jr. expressed.

MLK did not hate white people or any people.

Read his speeches, read Letters From a Birmingham Jail...

King threw away his crayon box and tried to teach us to judge people by their character, not color.

Since his death, we have been led, on this issue, by fools of spin, hate,power, and greed.

We have been sent back and continually sent back back, by
all of these thugs who claim to represent their race while they feed their ego, spin hate, and collect $$$.

It is very sad.

the iron horse said:
These current
Reverends are nowhere near the love and truth that Martin Luther King Jr. expressed.

King threw away his crayon box and tried to teach us to judge people by their character, not color.

Since his death, we have been led, on this issue, by fools of spin, hate,power, and greed.

all of these thugs who claim to represent their race while they feed their ego, spin hate, and collect $$$.

It is very sad.

Generally speaking I agree with you. We need a leader like MLK, and we don't have one, plain and simple, and I think we really need an MLK right now. It's depressing.

the iron horse said:

I agree these leaders aren't MLK but I wouldn't say they hate white people.

the iron horse said:

We've been sent back. But not by Jackson and Sharpton. But by the ones that claim that race isn't an issue today.

"We've been sent back. But not by Jackson and Sharpton. But by the ones that claim that race isn't an issue today."

If you really believe your post BonoVoxSupastar,

that is where you are so wrong.

*so wrong*

*And you have no idea on who my parents were or how I was raised or who I played with as a kid or who my friends are now...
Do you?***

Who then, has sent us back?

Plain folk like me and others just living our lives and treating other people fairly and as neigbors?

Last edited:
This thread is a wonderful example of why the reverends remain relevant still today.

res ipsa loquitur?

the iron horse said:

*And you have no idea on who my parents were or how I was raised or who I played with as a kid or who my friends are now...
Do you?***

:huh: Did I make such claims? I said nothing about you...

Paranoid much?

"Did I make such claims? I said nothing about you...

Paranoid much?"

No you did not
BonoVoxSupastar,

*i apologize*

I guess I was carried away in the dicussion.

I was just trying to say that this boy is colorblind and
sick and angry that some seem bent on dividing us, not bringing us closer.

the iron horse said:

I was just trying to say that this boy is colorblind and
sick and angry that some seem bent on dividing us, not bringing us closer.

It angers me as well. The majority of dividers are the ones that have ignored the fact that there is still a huge offset of economics and education between the races. Until this issue is addressed we will always be divided.

Se7en said:
i can't believe you people have the energy to keep this debate up.

white male privelage exists. race must matter.

class trumps race everytime, imo.

:shrug:

it is amazing, isn't it? the lack of willingness to understand one's (usually involuntary) participation in a "raced" class system. anecdotes about "well i treat everyone the same" function as a means to absolve someone of guilt.

just remember: many people born on 3rd base walk through life thinking they hit a triple.

the iron horse said:
These current

It is very sad.

generally speaking -this is a load of crap

you use your crayons to color a MLK
that is palatable to you

you twists his words
to allow intolerance to black people

and you have no understanding of how MLK was percieved "in his time."

do you suggest Jesse Jackson hates White people?

are you aware that the FBI taped MLK fucking a white woman in a motel room
and then tried to blackmail him into going away (or committing suicide) because he was labeled a Communist?

"generally speaking -this is a load of crap"

I welcome your opinion.

"you use your crayons to color a MLK
that is palatable to you"

I was born, raised and live in the south.
My father was a Baptist pastor who was often invited to preach in Black churches. I have vivid memories of going with him to these services. My father and mother taught me respect and love for all people.

During my early years(6-10) I was babysitted by a young black woman who kept me in line with her stern discipline and entertained me by playing music of her favorite black artists...Gospel/R&R.

She died three years ago from cancer. I attended her funeral. I have so much repect and love for her.

"you twists his words
to allow intolerance to black people"

I don't think I have even posted any quotes by Martin Luther King.

Where have I suggested we should be intolerant to black people?

"and you have no understanding of how MLK was percieved "in his time."

And you have no idea of my life experiences or what I know.
I have only given you a brief history of my early life.

"do you suggest Jesse Jackson hates White people?"

I don't know if he hates white people. I have read that, as a hotel cook in Greenville S.C. he often spat on the food being served to white people.

I do think that he has used race and continues to use race to his advantage. Where was he before Katrina talking about the poverty in new Orleans?

I also know, from reading books on King, that King did not trust him and right before he was killed he was considering firing Jackson from the group. You should read what Raph Abernathy wrote on King's relationship to Jackson.

"are you aware that the FBI taped MLK fucking a white woman in a motel room
and then tried to blackmail him into going away (or committing suicide) because he was labeled a Communist?"

I have always heard that rumor. I don't know if it really happened. I will agree that he was being watched by the FBI and was, by some, considered to a communist.

Even if true, Martin Luther King was not a perfect person. I know I am not. We have all sinned and done stupid things.

This does not alter my view, that King was trying to the right thing by bringing us all together and ending the racial barrier.

My initial reply may have been a bit harsh, I hope you took no personal offence.

I will try and use a more moderate tone

the iron horse said:

I was born, raised and live in the south.
My father was a Baptist pastor who was often invited to preach in Black churches. I have vivid memories of going with him to these services. My father and mother taught me respect and love for all people.

During my early years(6-10) I was babysitted by a young black woman who kept me in line with her stern discipline and entertained me by playing music of her favorite black artists...Gospel/R&R.

She died three years ago from cancer. I attended her funeral. I have so much repect and love for her.

I don't know you and your profile is empty.

I have volunteered, in my postings, that I am a 50 year-old white male living in the OC, CA

I think you live in a rural area and are a white male in your 20s or 30s

Regardless, we each have our life experiences and learning curves.

I don't completely get the deep South and the race issues.

I do have nieces and nephews that were born in CA and now live in Columbia, SC.

I remember one telling me the Confederate Flag just represents Southern Culture and pride.

I don’t buy it, and think it should be barred from public places or outright banned just like Nazi flags are in most of Europe.

My father and upbringing influenced my opinions and I am sure your upbringing has influenced yours.

Back to the topic

Association with black people does not preclude one from having prejudices.

I do not accuse you. I just find these types of statements not germane to the subject.

Strom Thurmond probably loved his black nanny and attended her service and would say he respected her.

And he was one of our most promenade segregationist, at one time.

the iron horse said:

I don't think I have even posted any quotes by Martin Luther King.

"not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character"

is from the "I have a dream" speech

your paraphase

"judge people by their character, not color"

the iron horse said:

"do you suggest Jesse Jackson hates White people?"

I do think that he has used race and continues to use race to his advantage. Where was he before Katrina talking about the poverty in new Orleans?

I know the President and his family were shocked to learn that their is poverty in New Orleans.

You said you were from the South. You must be aware there is poverty in other places than NOLA.

When has this prisident ever talked about poverty other than his New Orleans speech that I said was an excellent speech

your question about Jackson?

Rev. Jesse Jackson Challenges Mayors to End Poverty

By Larry Jones
June 26, 2000

In a rousing speech on June 11, Reverend Jesse L. Jackson, president and founder of the Rainbow PUSH Coalition, challenged mayors to be bold leaders in addressing the needs of the poor and disadvantaged in their communities. At a time when our nation is experiencing unparalleled economic growth, Jackson reminded mayors that poverty is on the rise and many people are being left behind. He said, "citizens are crying out with unmet needs in the shift from budget deficits to budget surpluses." There are "pockets of hopelessness and alienation," he explained. In response Jackson said "we now have the resources to wipe out poverty rather than wipe out the poor." He told mayors, "I want to talk to you today about a call to action, a call to alarm, a call to hope and healing."

Expressing disappointment, Jackson said "I am a bit uneasy today about a kind of quietness about this conference." He reminded mayors that "most of us got to where we are by acting. We must not retire on the job and cease to act and let e-mail become a substitute for action." He challenged them to engage the presidential candidates, Texas Governor George W. Bush and Vice President Al Gore and to use their influence to help shape the debate for the November election. "Both of them will make news by telling you what they have to say. But what do you have to say to them? At least now they need you more than you need them," he said. Jackson said the challenge for cities in the upcoming election, is not the absence of charismatic leadership but the absence of commitment to systematic investment in sound priorities.

Before ending his speech, Jackson made a compassionate appeal to mayors to work with him to help increase public awareness of AIDS. He pointed out that many people are walking around with the virus and don’t know it. The number one cause of death among black and brown persons under the age of 44 is AIDS. In response to this problem, Jackson asked mayors to go back home and take the AIDS test and encourage people in their communities to do the same. The purpose of this effort is to detect and prevent the spread of AIDS.

one of hundreds of Jackson speeches on poverty

Macfistowannabe said:
"Why are there no African Americans in that circle?"

Jesse....I am willing to bet there have been more minority appointments of people into positions under this President than you or others would like to give credit for.

Is it because these people were not put into positions under affirmative action that they do not count?

[Q]"How can blacks be left out of the leadership and trapped into the suffering?"[/Q]

See above.

[Q]"There is a historical indifference to the pain of poor people, and black people ... we seem to adjust more easily to black pain."

"They are poor people, black people for the most part without private transportation, many of them are old and sick."[/Q]

Then ask the black mayor why he did what he did? Ask the Governor why she did what she did. They share some burden of the responsibility. You would not be pointing at the white house for your own political reasons?

[Q]MATTHEWS: What do you think of George W. Bush, the president's performance in this effort?

JACKSON: Well, he never came to New Orleans. His Cabinet member never came to New Orleans. The Red Cross never came to New Orleans. They were told by Homeland Security, don't come. [/Q]

Jesse, I know you would not let the facts get in the way of a good lynching of a republican, but, it was the Governor and State that prevented the Red Cross from doing their jobs. You should really check their web page, because the Red Cross clearly put the truth out there.

REV. AL SHARPTON: I feel race was a factor. Why? I remember almost a year ago to the day I was in Florida when a hurricane was coming not a point four, not a point five, and I saw the white house move. I saw the government of the president's brother move. National guard was already alerted before the storm ever hit. It seems to me that if we can be alert in Palm Beach, Florida, we could have been alert in New Orleans.
[/B]

Holy Shit, thank you for making my point, the Governor (WHo by the way is the Presiden's brother, which has NOTHING to do with it) did his fucking job.

What a fucking shock!

--------------------------------------------------

Back to the original quotes from the thread.

okay, i've been thinking about this thread quite a bit, and to bring it back to what i thought was the most interesting part, why race does matter, i thought i'd share some thoughts.

true, we are one, but not we are not the same. we have different histories and different attitudes due to our differences. but what i see emerging, as a vastly better alternative than this Reagan-era, feel-good "let's be colorblind" is a very South Park mentality that doesn't try and hide difference -- be it race, ethnicity, religion, orientation, or disability -- but we take our differences and place it right in front of you.

then - through the laying bare of the fact of difference, not by tip-toeing around it and patting yourself on the back for being nice to the black bus driver that morning - you begin to see the larger dimension of the person, and how whatever "difference" there is becomes just one componant of a much larger, more complex narrative that will enable us to enjoy the full depths and dimension's of someone's character. it's called integration - not avoidance, denial or embarrassment. difference shoudn't ever be a source of discrimination, nor a source of personal embarassment or shame (talk to me about what's known as "gay shame" and you'll get an earfull). however, on the part of the individual, first you have to embrace the difference as a part of who you are - without fear or deflection - and then it's up to others to meet you on your terms, not to politely avoid that which makes us different.

Irvine511 said:

it is amazing, isn't it? the lack of willingness to understand one's (usually involuntary) participation in a "raced" class system. anecdotes about "well i treat everyone the same" function as a means to absolve someone of guilt.

just remember: many people born on 3rd base walk through life thinking they hit a triple.

:up: Right on!
I know it is so much easier to try forget about the past but there is no way this society will let you (believe me, I know from experience) there is so much injustice in this world and just because it is the year 2005 does not mean it will all just disappear. We all have to strive to make a difference. "We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal" I have yet to see Dr. Kings dream come true:(

Can this be closed now? I don't need to hear anyone's profound, yet predictable accusations of racism every time somebody puts forward a point of view.

the iron horse said:

"are you aware that the FBI taped MLK fucking a white woman in a motel room
and then tried to blackmail him into going away (or committing suicide) because he was labeled a Communist?"

I have always heard that rumor. I don't know if it really happened. I will agree that he was being watched by the FBI and was, by some, considered to a communist.

King, look into your heart. You know, you are a complete fraud and a greater liability to all of us Negroes. White people in this country have enough frauds of their own but I am sure they don't have one at this time that is anywhere near your equal. You are no clergyman and you know it. I repeat that you are a colossal fraud and an evil, vicious one at that....King, like all frauds your end is approaching. You could have been our greatest leader....But you are done. Your honorary degrees, your Nobel Prize (what a grim farce) and other awards will not save you. King, I repeat you are done....The American public, the church organizations that have been helping--Protestants, Catholics and Jews will know you for what you are--an evil beast. So will others who have backed you. You are done.

King, there is only one thing left for you to do. You know what it is. You have just 34 days in which to do (this exact number has been selected for a specific reason, it has definite practical significance). You are done. There is but one way out for you. You better take it before your filthy fraudulent self is bared to the nation.

When he had finished typing, Sullivan placed the note in a package containing a reel of tape. Earlier that day, Sullivan had had the FBI labs prepare a composite tape of the most salacious episodes recorded by microphones hidden in King's hotel. The tape contained bawdy conversations between King and his friends, sexual conversations between King and several different female sexual partners, and sounds--mattress creaking, groans and cries--associated with sexual intercourse. The next morning Sullivan handed the package to an agent, told him to fly to Miami, and mail the package to King at his Atlanta SCLC office.

The package was opened, as it happened, by King's wife Coretta. She often received recordings of King's speeches, and assumed that this was another. She listened to part of it, quickly recognizing that this was something different, and then she read the threatening note. She called King. Then she, King, Ralph Abernathy, Andrew Young and Joseph Lowery listened to it all. They immediately realized that the source had to be the FBI. Some of King's friends thought the purpose had been to blackmail King into declining the Nobel Prize. Others thought the tapes were intended to goad Coretta into divorcing King. A third theory, and the most plausible, was that Sullivan was trying to put the thought of suicide in King's mind. "They are out to break me," King said. "They are out to get me, harass me, break my spirit."

http://historynet.com/ah/blfbi/index1.html

Re: Re: Reverends of the Race Card

Dreadsox said:
Jesse....I am willing to bet there have been more minority appointments of people into positions under this President than you or others would like to give credit for.

Notice how all the key positions, though, remain in the hands of old white men: the Secretary of Defense, Secretary of Treasury, Joint Chief of Staff, etc. Handing only useless positions to women and minorities is still pretty offensive, don't you think?

Melon

Re: Re: Re: Reverends of the Race Card

melon said:

Notice how all the key positions, though, remain in the hands of old white men: the Secretary of Defense, Secretary of Treasury, Joint Chief of Staff, etc. Handing only useless positions to women and minorities is still pretty offensive, don't you think?

Melon

Colin is laughing at this.....:wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Reverends of the Race Card

Dreadsox said:
Colin is laughing at this.....:wink:

Well, I hate to say it, but the Secretary of State is pretty useless. The position is just one of many that has become nothing more than a cheerleader for the President. But that is not exclusively Bush's fault. I can't think of one Secretary of State that hasn't been a presidential cheerleader.

Melon

Condi uses Civil War to slap Iraq critics

Tuesday, September 5th, 2006

Secretary of State Rice compared the Iraq war with the American Civil War, telling a magazine that slavery might have lasted longer in this country if the North had decided to end the fight early.

"I'm sure there are people who thought it was a mistake to fight the Civil War to its end and to insist that the emancipation of slaves would hold," Rice said in the new issue of Essence magazine.

"I know there were people who said, 'Why don't we get out of this now, take a peace with the South, but leave the South with slaves?'" Rice said.

Rice also bristled at the notion that the Bush administration's slow response last year in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina was because of the race of the majority of the victims.

"I resented the notion that the President of the United States, this President of the United States, would somehow decide to let people suffer because they were black," Rice told the magazine.

"I found that to be the most corrosive and outrageous claim that anybody could have made, and it was wholly and totally irresponsible."

Asked if she felt personally accountable, Rice said, "The government did its best. People aren't perfect, and this response was not perfect. You know, I do foreign policy, I don't run Homeland Security. I don't run FEMA. I do foreign policy." She added, "I did what I could to coordinate the international response."

desperate times

call for desperate measures

but this is a new low

Irvine511 said:
only white people have the luxury of wishing for a colorblind society.

race matters.

Exactly.

This whole thread reminds me of how Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report always says he "doesn't see color" whenever he - or rather his right-wing pundit persona - talks about anything to do with race.

It's even worse to be a minority within a minority, I think - as a black woman who cannot stand rap, gospel, or r&b because I think 99% of it is crap, I get attacked by black folks all around as a 'traitor to my race'. By the time I'm through with that, I simply don't have the energy to wonder if that white person over there hates me. I'm sure there are those who are racist.

Problem is, I simply don't care anymore.

I don't think we have to asssimilate - I think we have to learn to appreciate the differing cultures, skin tones, and ways we all have. Diversity is not bad. Difference is not bad. We concentrate too hard on being alike, on becoming one mixed-bag mongerel type of country. What really matters is the fact that even as diverse as we Americans are, we can live together, respect each other's cultural differences, and still realize that we essentially all want to see our families safe, to live according to our own values, and to walk the streets without fear of being beaten.

Back
Top Bottom