Restrictions on New AIDS Funding - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2003, 08:22 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Let's get back to the article. As a Republican, I was extremely proud of the fact that he stood before Congress and requested the money. As a Republican, if he is going to restrict the way the money is distributed, and there are very very few organizations that are designed this way, it is wong, so very wrong. That does not make him an EVIL person. It does make me think about how the RIGHT wing of the Republican Party has influenced this president to the point where a very POOR decision is being made.

There is something that makes me think the 15 Billion is going to wind up in the hands of Religious missionaries. Now that may be a good thing, however, it concerns me because there are already organizations in place that could do something good with the money to help.

Old 02-22-2003, 08:30 AM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
track record.
wait and see.
one man keeps promises.
one man does not.

dB9
What exact promises has Bush kept?
What exact promises has Clinton not kept?

Old 02-22-2003, 02:17 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Let's get back to the article. As a Republican, I was extremely proud of the fact that he stood before Congress and requested the money. As a Republican, if he is going to restrict the way the money is distributed, and there are very very few organizations that are designed this way, it is wong, so very wrong. That does not make him an EVIL person. It does make me think about how the RIGHT wing of the Republican Party has influenced this president to the point where a very POOR decision is being made.

There is something that makes me think the 15 Billion is going to wind up in the hands of Religious missionaries. Now that may be a good thing, however, it concerns me because there are already organizations in place that could do something good with the money to help.
He is a very right-wing president who knew how to dupe people into thinking he was something else.

BTW, what is your opinion of Gov. Mitt Romney here in Mass.?

Melon
Old 02-22-2003, 02:51 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:16 PM
I hate to sound cynical, but generally speaking politicians, period, seem to break a hell of alot of promises. Rhetoric sounds great from the mouths of both Democrats and Republicans, but too often that's all we get from them. Generally I find more "decent" politicians in Congress than I do in the White House. Maybe these guys are just too darned ambitious for their own good.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:45 PM   #50
The Fly

About Romney, the verdict is still out. He has some tough stuff to do with what his predecessor left him unfortunately. Gotta say though that at least he's doing this governorship without costing the taxpayers any extra (to pay him that is), not that it'll hurt him any since he didn't need the money anyway. I have to wait and see. It's not going to be easy for those that need the services he's cutting. (I'm from MA by the way, and use some of those services)

About Bush, I don't trust him any farther than I can throw him.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:19 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2luv

That might be farther than you think.
Haven't you heard, he is a lightweight.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:21 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

That might be farther than you think.
Haven't you heard, he is a lightweight.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:10 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2luv

I don't trust him as far as I can throw Edinburgh Castle. And believe me, that's not far (we're talking five different buildings on top of the biggest rock I've ever seen in my life).
Old 02-23-2003, 01:47 PM   #54
New Yorker

I found another article about Bush backing off his promises. I listened to his State of the Union Address and he stated he was for generic drug use to combat AIDS. But through the WTO he's preventing that use.

GLOBAL ECONOMY
Bush Stymies WTO Drug Talks

World Trade Organization efforts to provide impoverished countries with access to inexpensive drugs have been inhibited by the Bush administration's backing of the pharmaceutical industry, the London Guardian's Charlotte Denny reports. At this week's conference in Geneva, the US blocked the required unanimous approval for the organization's drug proposal when American representatives balked at allowing under-developed countries the right to import generic versions of patented medications.

Currently, manufacturers of generic drugs in developing countries can mass produce inexpensive versions of patented medicines -- in order to treat such illnesses as AIDS and tuberculosis -- after paying a fee to the drugs' initial producer. But countries without manufacturing ability are restricted by strict import laws. The US and its heavily-funded pharmaceutical lobby remain adamant that loosening these restrictions would "help generics manufacturers in India and Brazil to steal their markets," Denny writes.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:44 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
I found another article about Bush backing off his promises. I listened to his State of the Union Address and he stated he was for generic drug use to combat AIDS. But through the WTO he's preventing that use.

GLOBAL ECONOMY
Bush Stymies WTO Drug Talks

World Trade Organization efforts to provide impoverished countries with access to inexpensive drugs have been inhibited by the Bush administration's backing of the pharmaceutical industry, the London Guardian's Charlotte Denny reports. At this week's conference in Geneva, the US blocked the required unanimous approval for the organization's drug proposal when American representatives balked at allowing under-developed countries the right to import generic versions of patented medications.

Currently, manufacturers of generic drugs in developing countries can mass produce inexpensive versions of patented medicines -- in order to treat such illnesses as AIDS and tuberculosis -- after paying a fee to the drugs' initial producer. But countries without manufacturing ability are restricted by strict import laws. The US and its heavily-funded pharmaceutical lobby remain adamant that loosening these restrictions would "help generics manufacturers in India and Brazil to steal their markets," Denny writes.

This really pisses me off.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:34 PM   #56
Refugee

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
Blind ambition

I did some research on our AIDS treatment program, something I am very proud of. Some facts I found:

Itīs worldwide known that Brazil has the most successful anti-AIDS program among developing nations. Extensive prevention efforts combined with state-funded antiretroviral treatment have, in the face of widespread poverty, reduced AIDS-related mortality by more than 50 percent since 1996. This reduction has resulted in a U.S. $472 million savings in hospital and treatment costs for AIDS-related opportunistic infections and, according to Brazilís Ministry of Health, an overall shift in negative attitudes towards people living with HIV/AIDS. The cornerstone of Brazilís treatment program has been the local production of generic equivalents of brand name HIV/AIDS drugs, which has driven down the cost of antiretroviral treatment.

Brazil has instituted free AIDS treatment for everyone infected, at a cost of some $300 million to its annual health budget. The program more than paid for itself by reducing hospital stays, cutting transmission rates and enabling thousands to stay in the work force.

AIDS deaths have been reduced to 24.8 percent of the infected population in 1999 from 73.7 percent in 1990. The program has kept the infection rates from climbing, at 0.6 percent of its population of 170 million. Brazil had treated many people in slum areas and the homeless by creating, small and simple clinics.

Brazil intends to push for an international accord that would spell out guarantees of low drug prices for developing countries and the right to manufacture drugs in emergencies. It would also commit rich countries to providing technical support and contributing to an AIDS fund.

And all they can think of is that we want to steal their markets...Unbelievable.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:42 PM   #57
Refugee

Local Time: 12:16 PM

I found this article from Human Rights Watch really good. It helps to understand many things, concerning the production of medicine and the laws concerning the production.

http://www.hrw.org/press/2002/10/ftaa1029-bck.htm

There is also the one below, if you want to know more about our AIDS treatment strategy and how things have worked here. With videos, really interesting.

http://tv.oneworld.net/tapestry?story=114
Old 02-23-2003, 05:53 PM   #58
New Yorker

Those were terrific articles! If I post a letter here to the drug companies, will you all join me in sending it? Anyone know which companies we're talking about, perchance?

Thanks for this informative thread!

SD
Old 02-23-2003, 06:07 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

This really pisses me off.
Yeah.

Damnit, Bush....

Angela
Old 02-23-2003, 06:52 PM   #60
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
Those were terrific articles! If I post a letter here to the drug companies, will you all join me in sending it? Anyone know which companies we're talking about, perchance?

Thanks for this informative thread!

SD
Of course I'll join you Sherry!

I am looking forward to getting to the other side of these road blocks.