Required STD shots worry some parents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
onebloodonelife said:

And, I don't see anything wrong with the data you put up. So, what are you getting at?

This vaccination is not a total prevention for cervical cancer. I just felt this should be emphasized more in the media.
While it may take care of some HPV strains not all are covered and you may still develop cancer. I feel this creates a false sense of security.
I also feel it’s a little early to mandate this vaccine for 6th grade girls. I'd like to see a longer study period---it's a new vaccine with side-effects yet uncharted.
The vaccine is available to anyone who wants it, so it does not need to be mandated (at this time).
That's all I have to say.

BorderGirl said:

This vaccination is not a total prevention for cervical cancer. I just felt this should be emphasized more in the media.
While it may take care of some HPV strains not all are covered and you may still develop cancer. I feel this creates a false sense of security.

True, but all of the commercials and things I've seen have always said this. They cannot air commercials for drug treatments without stating the side effects or how effective it is (unless they don't name the drug). If people have a false sense of security, it's probably b/c they aren't paying enough attention.

BorderGirl said:

I also feel it’s a little early to mandate this vaccine for 6th grade girls. I'd like to see a longer study period---it's a new vaccine with side-effects yet uncharted.
The vaccine is available to anyone who wants it, so it does not need to be mandated (at this time).
That's all I have to say.

As Liesje said, the commercials state that the vaccine is not a full protection and are required to do so by the FDA. And, again, even if the vaccine is mandated, parents are allowed to exempt their children from the vaccine. I have a friend who's mom decided that she didn't need the Hepatitis B vaccine, so she was not required to get the vaccine to be in school.

Texas leader on defensive over vaccine, ties to Merck

By Joe Stinebaker and Liz Austin Peterson, Associated Press | February 23, 2007

HOUSTON -- Governor Rick Perry yesterday angrily defended his relationship with Merck & Co. and his executive order requiring that 11- and 12-year-old girls receive the drugmaker's vaccine against the sexually transmitted virus linked to cervical cancer.

The Associated Press reported on Wednesday that Perry's chief of staff had met with key aides about the vaccine on Oct. 16, the same day Merck's political action committee donated $5,000 to the governor's campaign.

Perry, touring cancer centers around the state, said the contributions were just a small share of the $24 million he raised and had no effect on his decision.

"When a company comes to me and says we have a cure for cancer, for me not to say, 'Please come into my office and let's hear your story for the people of the state of Texas, for young ladies who are dying of cancer,' would be the height of irresponsibility," the Republican governor said.

Pressed on when he decided to issue the Feb. 2 order requiring sixth-grade girls to be vaccinated against the cancer-causing human papillomavirus, Perry snapped: "I wish you all would quit splitting hairs, frankly, and get focused on are we going to be working together to find the cure for cancers. No, I can't tell you when."

In issuing the order, the governor made Texas the first state to require the vaccine Gardasil for all schoolgirls. But many lawmakers have bristled about his bypassing the Legislature altogether. Conservatives have said it contradicts the state's abstinence-only sexual education policies. The disclosure regarding the campaign contributions could add momentum to a move by legislators to repeal Perry's executive order.

On Wednesday, before the campaign contributions became known, the House's Public Health Committee voted 6 to 3 to support a bill overriding Perry's order and sent the legislation, co sponsored by nearly two-thirds of the state's representatives, to the full House.

Critics have previously questioned Perry's ties to Merck. Mike Toomey, his former chief of staff, now lobbies for the drug company. And the governor accepted a total of $6,000 from Merck during his reelection campaign.

Merck has lobbied state legislatures to require girls to get the vaccine. But on Tuesday the company announced it was suspending the effort in the face of pressure from parents and medical groups.

Men now in HPV spotlight
Immunization studied
By Shari Roan
Los Angeles Times

With human papillomavirus, girls and women have been getting all the attention.

Parents across the U.S. have rushed to have their daughters vaccinated against the virus. States are wrestling with whether to require that adolescents are vaccinated. And recent research found that many more girls and women are infected with human papillomavirus than was previously thought – more than one-quarter of females ages 14 to 59.

Now the attention is turning to boys and men.

As many as 60 percent of men ages 18 to 70 are infected with HPV, according to data not yet published, raising the question of whether the new vaccine will be effective in reducing diseases linked to the virus unless men, not just women, are immunized.

Several studies are underway to better understand the virus in males and whether the new HPV vaccine, Gardasil, also will work for them. As researchers already know and as the new data confirm, HPV is not just a women’s issue.

“With any transmittable disease, you want to understand the entire cycle of how things spread,” says Thomas Broker, an HPV expert and professor of biochemical and molecular genetics at the University of Alabama, Birmingham. “With HPV, men are clearly part of that equation.”

Human papillomavirus is best known for causing cervical cancer, with about 9,700 cases diagnosed in women in the U.S. each year.

Gardasil, a three-shot regimen, was approved last year for girls and women ages 9 to 26. It protects against four strains of the HPV virus that are most likely to cause cervical cancer and genital warts in women.

But much less is known about the consequences of HPV infection in men.

“We know they transmit it to women, but what is the rate of transmission?” says Anna Giuliano, a researcher at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute in Tampa, Fla., who is leading three government-financed studies on HPV infection in men. She is also a paid speaker for Merck, the maker of Gardasil.

Several studies are attempting to address this question, as well as ones about what strains of HPV are most common in men. New data show that HPV infection is quite common in men of all ages, while the highest rates of infection in women tend to occur in the early 20s before declining and then spiking again in women in their 40s and 50s.

“We’re seeing a really high prevalence in men, and we see little change in prevalence across the age span,” says Giuliano, who found the 60 percent prevalence rate in one of her studies. That data will be published later this spring in the journal Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. “We need to know if women in their 40s and 50s are acquiring new infections from their partners.”

HPV infection isn’t inconsequential in men. Certain strains of the virus are known to cause genital warts in men as well as women. And those infections are estimated to be the cause of about half of all anal, penile, vulvar and vaginal cancers and about 20 percent of the cause of all oral cancers, says Dr. Dean Blumberg, an associate professor of pediatric infectious disease at the University of California, Davis. Blumberg is a member of Merck’s speakers bureau but is not paid directly by Merck for his services.

A speaker’s bureau is a roster of experts who provide educational lectures on particular topics.

About 28,000 Americans are diagnosed with oral cancers each year, and about 4,650 are diagnosed with anal cancer. Penile cancer affects about 1,500 men each year. Although the overall risk of those diseases is low, anal cancer in gay and bisexual men has been rising in recent years.

Worldwide, the consequences of HPV infection in both men and women are even more severe than in the United States, notes Broker, president of the non-profit International Papillomavirus Society.

More women in developing countries die of cervical cancer than in the United States, he says. Moreover, “we need to know how much real disease men are getting. If you look worldwide, there are about 100,000 new cases of penile cancer each year.”

HPV-related cancer is also more common in people who have compromised immune systems, such as men who are HIV positive.

“This virus can cause cancers in a lot of different places,” Blumberg said. “But in terms of numbers, it doesn’t compare to the number of cervical cancer cases.”

But even if reducing rates of cervical cancer was the singular goal of HPV vaccination, some experts suggest that herd immunity – vaccinating everybody to reduce circulation of the virus in the population – will turn out to be the most successful approach.

“If you decrease HPV infection in men, then there will be decreased transmission to women also,” Blumberg says.

Merck is conducting studies of the vaccine’s ability to prevent infection in boys and men. Data on those trials might become available later this year, and the company hopes to apply to market Gardasil to boys and men some time next year.

Studies of Gardasil show that the vaccine provokes an even stronger immune response in boys than in girls, which implies that the vaccine also will prevent HPV infections, Blumberg said.

But they have yet to show that boys are protected from HPV infection at satisfactory rates. Researchers are also examining whether the vaccine reduces cases of anal cancer in gay men.

There is “no guarantee” an HPV vaccine will work in men, Broker said, because the skin cells infected by the virus differ greatly in men and women.

Some people aren’t waiting for the results of those studies. High-risk men, such as gay and bisexual men, are reportedly requesting and receiving Gardasil vaccination from their physicians, Blumberg said.

Moreover, he says, “I’ve had nurses tell me they made sure their 15-year-old son was vaccinated because they wanted to decrease the chance of their future daughter-in-law having cervical cancer. They felt strongly about it.”

[q]“If you decrease HPV infection in men, then there will be decreased transmission to women also,” Blumberg says.[/q]

:up:

go science!

it's easier for a girl to run away with her dress held in her hands than a boy to run with his pants down.:angry:

I tell them to kick a boy in the sack if he ever acts inappropiately towards them and leave as quick as possible.

dbs
:)

diamond said:
it's easier for a girl to run away with her dress held in her hands than a boy to run with his pants down.:angry:

wow.

this belongs right up there with:

"to be or not to be"
"four score and seven years ago"
"we'll fight them in the air, we'll fight them in the water, we'll fight them on the beaches, we'll fight them from the cliffs, we'll never, never surrender."
"Saddam Hussein is trying to reconstitute his nuclear program"

The parents split over giving their girl cervical cancer jab

Freya, nine, is set to be one of the first girls in Britain to have a cervical cancer jab. Her mother says it could save her life. Her father fears it's a green light for under-age sex. So who's right?

Mercifully Freya Dean has the attention span of a typical nine-year-old. She starts off following every step of the argument raging around the kitchen table, her little head moving — tennis spectator-style — from her mother to her father and back again.

But, in time, she tires of the discussion and goes outside to bounce up and down on her trampoline. Long may her innocence remain.

For Freya — and how long this childhood of hers can last — is what this debate is all about.

If her mother, Sarah, gets her way, Freya will become one of the first girls in the country to get a controversial cervical cancer vaccine.

It sounds straightforward enough. Gardasil has been hailed as something of a wonder drug — the world's first vaccine that has been proven to prevent a cancer.

Cervical cancer is the second most common cancer in younger womul Dean — Freya's father — for starters. When his wife broke the news that she wanted Freya to be one of the first in line, he was horrified.

Why? Well, more for sociological reasons than medical ones.

Cervical cancer is often linked to a sexually transmitted disease, with the vast majority of cases caused by infection with the human papilloma virus.

An HPV infection — which only occasionally leads to cervical cancer — is more likely the more sexual partners a woman has.

Paul, 41, initially believed that protecting Freya against a sexually transmitted disease — when she has only the loosest concept of what sex actually is — was simply irresponsible. He worried that by sending the message that she was safe', at least when it came to cervical cancer, he was somehow giving her the green light to experiment sexually: while this jab will not stop a young girl getting pregnant, it may make her feel somehow immunised against the perils that go with adolescent sex.

When Sarah first brought up the subject, I couldn't believe that she was thinking of it for Freya. I said “no way”, not my daughter. It made no sense to me. She was far too young. She wasn't having sex. She wasn't going to be having sex for an awfully long time — or over my dead body.

diamond said:
the answer is just to tell the girls to keep their legs shut.
:angry:

I think you need to take into account that even if a young woman makes every effort not to have a sexual encounter, one could still occur.

Back
Top Bottom