Required STD shots worry some parents - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #76
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Devlin
I wouldn't do it. I actually don't get the flu vaccine for this very reason. In the off chance I actually get the flu, I'll survive it. It's called using your head.
You don't know the difference between the flu and cancer?

Old 02-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #77
War Child

Local Time: 03:40 PM
Yes, I do. And my point still remains: since very few of the 100 types of HPV actually cause cancer, there's no point in the vaccine. Just like the flu vaccine is pointless, as there are, oh, scads of types of flu. HPV isn't going to kill you, and it's as common as the cold. Why add unnecessary vaccines when it isn't really going to be all that helpful? I don't see any use in running to get a vaccine against something that odds are, isn't going to do anything to help. Sure, it probably isn't harmful, but geez, if it's just there for the long-shot maybe-possiblity, what's the point?

Old 02-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:40 AM
Cervical cancer will kill nearly 4000 women in the USA this year. Since it has a 74% survival rate (average of all 5 stages), that means nearly 16,000 women will get cervical cancer.

The Gardazil vaccine protects against the strains of HPV that cause the vast majority of cervical cancer. The odds are that getting the vaccine WILL help.

That's the point.

No, it doesn't protect you 100%, but if insurance is going to pay for it and there are no harmful side effect, why would you pass?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #79
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yes, I do. And my point still remains: since very few of the 100 types of HPV actually cause cancer, there's no point in the vaccine. Just like the flu vaccine is pointless, as there are, oh, scads of types of flu. HPV isn't going to kill you, and it's as common as the cold. Why add unnecessary vaccines when it isn't really going to be all that helpful? I don't see any use in running to get a vaccine against something that odds are, isn't going to do anything to help. Sure, it probably isn't harmful, but geez, if it's just there for the long-shot maybe-possiblity, what's the point?
If I had a chance of preventing cancer believe me I would. It's not that hard.

Are you against smallpox and all other vaccines?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #80
War Child

Because, in the long run, I'm liklier to develop cancer of the digestive tract, or colon cancer. And yes, Iam against amallpox and other vaccs, for myself. This doesn't mean I would try and keep other people who wanted them from getting them. I simply do not want it mandated. Unfortunately, I've probably already /had/ all those vaccs, as a baby.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Devlin, how do you think we eradicated smallpox?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Unfortunately, I've probably already /had/ all those vaccs, as a baby.
How unfortunate.

Have you ever met people still suffering from polio?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #83
She's the One

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Unfortunately, I've probably already /had/ all those vaccs, as a baby.
And this is why you're against them. Have you ever met someone who has had polio? My grandmother had smallpox. She survived, but it weakened her. I was in Jamaica at the end of a polio epidemic. I was very grateful that I'd been vaccinated.

It's easy to talk about how you wouldn't be vaccinated against diseases which have been controlled through vaccinations.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
No, it doesn't protect you 100%, but if insurance is going to pay for it and there are no harmful side effect, why would you pass?
But my point is that we can't know that there aren't any hardmful side effects. A small number of people were studied for a small amount of time.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #85
War Child

And I repeat, I'm not against vaccines in general, I'm against having them mandated. And yes, I have seen people suffering from polio. I still would have preferred having the choice in which vaccines to take and which not to take, if any at all. Because I'm the type to ask if it's good for me, not be hysterically running for the nearest protective bubble every time something happens. This sounds a lot like the people who tell me, "Have you seen the person whose hand was mangled by the german Shepherd?" to convince me not to become a vet tech, forgetting I /was/ the person whose hand was bitten by a German Shepherd. I have the scarring to prove it - and surprisingly, I lived, without antibiotics, no less. Not saying the bite was all that severe, mind - and I know a bite's far different from polio, so spare me. Just pointing out that not everything is as dangerous as polio. And not everyone is going to die of everything.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
And I repeat, I'm not against vaccines in general, I'm against having them mandated. And yes, I have seen people suffering from polio. I still would have preferred having the choice in which vaccines to take and which not to take, if any at all. Because I'm the type to ask if it's good for me, not be hysterically running for the nearest protective bubble every time something happens. This sounds a lot like the people who tell me, "Have you seen the person whose hand was mangled by the german Shepherd?" to convince me not to become a vet tech, forgetting I /was/ the person whose hand was bitten by a German Shepherd. I have the scarring to prove it - and surprisingly, I lived, without antibiotics, no less. Not saying the bite was all that severe, mind - and I know a bite's far different from polio, so spare me. Just pointing out that not everything is as dangerous as polio. And not everyone is going to die of everything.
But mandating them can help b/c when they are mandated, insurance companies and/or the government or health departments are required to help pay for them and ensures an adequate supply. If all vaccines were optional, only the people who are probably at the lowest risk would be able to afford them.

People are checking into this. You can see just by the responses in this thread. We have all been sharing information. Nobody's running to their doctor in hysterics. I asked mine about it the other day, because I was there anyway and she brought it up first.

I was also bitten by a dog (rottweiler) in the face at age three, and I'm glad I was/am up to date on my tetanus shots! I do volunteer obedience work with large dogs. I'm not sure what the purpose of this analogy is....

Antibiotics are a totally different issue than HPV. I'm also against taking antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. The vaccines in question don't work the same way.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #87
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You aren't getting it... Just like anitram said, how do you think we've eradicated diseases in the past?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Right TB is a disease which was on its way to being eradicated due to comprehensive vaccination programs, in the western world, and which is now on the rise again because of increased travel of people from the developing world where such programs didn't exist. I've had a relative live, and die, from the effects of TB for 20 years. You might want to try that.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #89
Protecting my eyes ARRRR!!!

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Quote:

People are checking into this. You can see just by the responses in this thread. We have all been sharing information. Nobody's running to their doctor in hysterics. I asked mine about it the other day, because I was there anyway and she brought it up first.
My friend is doing the same as you, asking her Gyn about it. Although it seems from what TheQuiet1 said that its not going to be available in the UK here yet there is a British company who are developing something very similar, so shes interested to find out. Her mum died less than a year ago from cervical cancer and my mum passed away from a different cancer over 2 years ago. If we find something that can help protect us from HPV developing into cancer then we'll certainly give it a go.

Blueeyed girl sorry to hear about your relative.

6 countries,11 shows. AMAZING FRIENDS AND MEMORIES = Jem's priceless 360 Tour
Old 02-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #90
Acrobat

Quote:
As long as there are no risks getting the vaccine, why not?
there are PLENTY of risks.......only people gaining here are Merck and Lawyers.

"public “health” authorities may have taken it a bit too far this time by attempting to require preteen girls, as a condition of attending school, to be injected with a barely tested vaccine against a disease that is not easily transmitted in school setting."

Remove spaces:
source: w w w .honesthuman.com

Beware of Gardasil, The Cervical Cancer Vaccine

Only 20,541 women were used (half got the “placebo”) and their health was followed up for only four years at maximum and typically 1-3 years only. More critically, only 1,121 of these subjects were less than 16. The younger subjects were only followed up for a maximum of 18 months. Furthermore, less than 10% of these subjects received true placebo injections. The others were given injections containing an aluminum salt adjuvant (vaccine enhancer) that is also a component of GARDASIL. This is scientifically preposterous, especially when you consider that similar alum adjuvants are suspected to be responsible for Gulf War disease and other possible vaccination related complications.

Remove spaces:
http. whale.to/ vaccines/ lobato. html