Required STD shots worry some parents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A question for the people that think this is wrong:

What if there was an effective HIV/ Aids vaccine
that had to be given to before age 12 to be effective? and it worked for both boys and girls, and was offered to all children?

Would you opt your child out?

BorderGirl said:

there are PLENTY of risks.......only people gaining here are Merck and Lawyers.

"public “health” authorities may have taken it a bit too far this time by attempting to require preteen girls, as a condition of attending school, to be injected with a barely tested vaccine against a disease that is not easily transmitted in school setting."

Remove spaces:
source: w w w .honesthuman.com

Beware of Gardasil, The Cervical Cancer Vaccine

Only 20,541 women were used (half got the “placebo”) and their health was followed up for only four years at maximum and typically 1-3 years only. More critically, only 1,121 of these subjects were less than 16. The younger subjects were only followed up for a maximum of 18 months. Furthermore, less than 10% of these subjects received true placebo injections. The others were given injections containing an aluminum salt adjuvant (vaccine enhancer) that is also a component of GARDASIL. This is scientifically preposterous, especially when you consider that similar alum adjuvants are suspected to be responsible for Gulf War disease and other possible vaccination related complications.

Remove spaces:
http. whale.to/ vaccines/ lobato. html

But besides disagreeing with the test sample size, were there any reported side effects? Everything I've read has the same stuff as any other vaccine we get regularly (mostly injection site pain or reaction).

Liesje said:

But besides disagreeing with the test sample size, were there any reported side effects? Everything I've read has the same stuff as any other vaccine we get regularly (mostly injection site pain or reaction).

Test sample size is just one part of this irresponsible study.
I urge you and everyone to read up on it.

Some people are unsupportive because of "moral" reasons (huh?), but there are health risks to a developing 9 year old body, and the sense of false security that this vaccine will provide.
Cervical cancer is a broad disease not completely covered by this vaccination.
This is not about teenagers having sex, it is about whether Gardasil has been proven safe and effective for LITTLE girls.
If adult girls want it, that should be their own decision.

"There is too little long term safety and efficacy data, especially in young girls, and too little labeling information on contraindications for the CDC
to recommend Gardasil for universal use...."Nobody at Merck, the CDC or FDA know if the injection of Gardasil into all pre-teen girls -- especially simultaneously with hepatitis B vaccine -- will make some of them more likely to develop
arthritis or other inflammatory autoimmune and brain disorders as teenagers
and adults. With cervical cancer causing about one percent of all cancer deaths in American women due to routine pap screening, it was inappropriate
for the FDA to fast track Gardasil. It is way too early to direct all young girls to get three doses of a vaccine that has not been proven safe or
effective in their age group."

Full article (remove spaces):
w w w.ahrp.org/cms/content/view/263/28/

deep said:
A question for the people that think this is wrong:

What if there was an effective HIV/ Aids vaccine
that had to be given to before age 12 to be effective? and it worked for both boys and girls, and was offered to all children?

Would you opt your child out?

No. Is this a trick question? :eyebrow:

BorderGirl said:

Some people are unsupportive because of "moral" reasons (huh?), but there are health risks to a developing 9 year old body, and the sense of false security that this vaccine will provide.
Cervical cancer is a broad disease not completely covered by this vaccination.
This is not about teenagers having sex, it is about whether Gardasil has been proven safe and effective for LITTLE girls.
If adult girls want it, that should be their own decision.

Well, I guess I can agree on this. I was speaking more for myself (I'm 22). If I had a 9 year old daughter and honestly thought she was ready to be sexually active, I'd probably be checking her into counseling rather than getting this vaccination. A teenager though, I don't see what the big deal is. I stopped growing at age 13 (like most girls, stopped 2 years after my period started) so I was my "adult" size and shape at that point. If I have a daughter and the same is true for her, I wouldn't have a problem with her getting vaccinated at this age.

But I still haven't seen anything that proves the vaccination is unsafe for 11 year olds, even if we're hesitant to do it that young.

Liesje said:

Well, I guess I can agree on this. I was speaking more for myself (I'm 22). If I had a 9 year old daughter and honestly thought she was ready to be sexually active, I'd probably be checking her into counseling rather than getting this vaccination. A teenager though, I don't see what the big deal is. I stopped growing at age 13 (like most girls, stopped 2 years after my period started) so I was my "adult" size and shape at that point. If I have a daughter and the same is true for her, I wouldn't have a problem with her getting vaccinated at this age.

But I still haven't seen anything that proves the vaccination is unsafe for 11 year olds, even if we're hesitant to do it that young.

Even though a child's body size and shape may be that of an adult, they are not yet biologically adults.
The hormonal effects of estrogen for females alone.....
This is off topic but theres's a great book all females should read called "The Female Brain" by Louann Md Brizendine.

BorderGirl said:

Even though a child's body size and shape may be that of an adult, they are not yet biologically adults.
The hormonal effects of estrogen for females alone.....

How so? I was my adult height and weight, physically and reproductively mature, and could have started taking birth control (hormones) just like adult women.

BorderGirl said:

there are PLENTY of risks.......only people gaining here are Merck and Lawyers.

That's just a completely bombastic statement right there.

They say they don't know the effects of co-immunizing with HepB. OK, well what are they basing it on? If that statement is being made, I'd like to know on what grounds, and further to that, if there IS a real concern, that is rather easily dispensed with by not immunizing at the same time (HepB is a multi-course vaccine anyway).

BTW if you want to talk about sample size or length of tracking of subjects, then look into HRT which has become the devil incarnate, and on the basis of an incredibly piss poor study.

Liesje said:

How so? I was my adult height and weight, physically and reproductively mature, and could have started taking birth control (hormones) just like adult women.
\

I am not an M. D. so I cannot answer directly to this, but I do know that the effect of disease or drugs, is processed differently in children than in adults.
For instance breast cancer in younger people tends to be much more aggresive and deadly than in someone older, because their cells are dividing more rapidly and they are changing faster than they would be if they were old.

BorderGirl said:
\

I am not an M. D. so I cannot answer directly to this, but I do know that the effect of disease or drugs, is processed differently in children than in adults.
For instance breast cancer in younger people tends to be much more aggresive and deadly than in someone older, because their cells are dividing more rapidly and they are changing faster than they would be if they were old.

But my point was that I was fully developed physically and reproductively/sexually so I would consider myself an "adult" as far as medications. For example, I take the same doses of OTC meds now as I did then. I take the same birth control pills now that my friend did when we were 13 (I didn't take it then, wish I had!!). Mentally and emotionally I was not an adult, but a vaccine doesn't really have anything to do with one's emotional state.

BorderGirl said:
\

I don't believe you can establish causation that easily and in fact I think that it has never been definitively established.

Logically speaking, younger women are not getting screened as often, so their tumors are on average found in later stages. That alone negatively affects their prognosis and could explain why the survival rates are lower.

anitram said:

That's just a completely bombastic statement right there.

They say they don't know the effects of co-immunizing with HepB. OK, well what are they basing it on? If that statement is being made, I'd like to know on what grounds, and further to that, if there IS a real concern, that is rather easily dispensed with by not immunizing at the same time (HepB is a multi-course vaccine anyway).

BTW if you want to talk about sample size or length of tracking of subjects, then look into HRT which has become the devil incarnate, and on the basis of an incredibly piss poor study.

You know if adult women want to make adult decisions that's cool, but to impose this by law onto the parents of girls in the sixth grade is just overstepping civil liberties.
There should be more test studies of this age group first.

BorderGirl said:
You know if adult women want to make adult decisions that's cool, but to impose this by law onto the parents of girls in the sixth grade is just overstepping civil liberties.
There should be more test studies of this age group first.

Which is it? Civil liberties or science?

martha said:

Which is it? Civil liberties or science?

No kidding.

As a 13 year old, I would have chosen the vaccination. Since there is no law banning kids from being sexually active at this age, they should have access to this vaccine.

Parents are required to vaccinate/test kids for a lot of things. There is always going to be that slightest element of risk. For example, my brother almost died of staph infection as a newborn baby b/c of the PKU test (poking a baby w/ a needle).

BorderGirl said:

Why is this suddenly a case of civil liberties? The state already imposes a number of vaccines, like dPT, on parents of much younger children. The state imposes MMR vaccines on children despite some possible correlation with autism. Why is there not an outrage about those?

To be honest, this civil liberties argument seems like a total red herring.

martha said:
And why is choice so important to you now? It wasn't so important in another recent thread.
Leave it alone martha, no need to bring that into here.

My only concern with vaccinations is there is a perception that there is some preservative in them that causes autism. I just hate the thought that we have one vaccine that is causing a whole different set of problems.

martha said:
Do you have a choice about other required childhood vaccinations?

No.
So let's just be good little boys and girls, and let the State "mandate" another one...
We are being asked to approve whether 9 year old girls should be required to receive this in order to attend school, even though cervical cancer is not a communicable disease.
I am not morally opposed to this vaccination, but a longer trial period for the younger age group seems like the responsible thing to do.
Also, this vaccine may give people a false sense of security since you're only like 60% 'protected', unlike the usual vaccinations, polio, etc. that fully protect you.

"Only 20,541 women were used (half got the “placebo”) and their health was followed up for only four years at maximum and typically 1-3 years only. More critically, only 1,121 of these subjects were less than 16. The younger subjects were only followed up for a maximum of 18 months."

BorderGirl said:
No.
So let's just be good little boys and girls, and let the State "mandate" another one...
Actually, in California, parents can decline required vaccinations. Fortunately, not many do so, so we don't have many outbreaks of dangerous communicable diseases.

BorderGirl said:
We are being asked to approve whether 9 year old girls should be required to receive this in order to attend school, even though cervical cancer is not a communicable disease.
Those websites you've been visiting haven't given you the whole story (as I suspected). The virus that can cause cervical cancer is indeed communicable. It may be that you need to visit other websites with a different agenda.

BorderGirl said:
I am not morally opposed to this vaccination
I think maybe you are. You're protesting just a little too much that you're not.

BorderGirl said:

No.
I am not morally opposed to this vaccination, but a longer trial period for the younger age group seems like the responsible thing to do.
Also, this vaccine may give people a false sense of security since you're only like 60% 'protected', unlike the usual vaccinations, polio, etc. that fully protect you.

"Only 20,541 women were used (half got the “placebo”) and their health was followed up for only four years at maximum and typically 1-3 years only. More critically, only 1,121 of these subjects were less than 16. The younger subjects were only followed up for a maximum of 18 months."

If a parent has an objection to any vaccine that is required by schools, a form can be filled out and the child is exempt from getting the vaccine.

Cervical cancer itself is not a communicable disease, but the virus that causes many of the cases is, so why shouldn't we protect against the virus?

NO vaccine is 100% effective. The example you used, polio, is 70-90% effective in most cases, not that much higher than the HPV vaccine.

If I got this vaccine (I'm 17), I can tell you right now that it would not make me go out and have random sex with several different people. A vaccine won't give a false sense of security as long as a parent is doing their job and instilling some values in their children.

onebloodonelife said:

A vaccine won't give a false sense of security as long as a parent is doing their job and instilling some values in their children.

The false sense I'm referrring to is that the value of the vaccine should not be overstated. Women should still protect themselves.
This vaccine has not proven effective against all cervical cancers.
According to the medical community "it remains critical that women undergo regular screening even if they have been vaccinated".

The guidelines also state that:

Females as young as 9 years may receive HPV vaccination.
HPV vaccination is also recommended for females ages 13 to 18 years to catch up on a missed vaccine or to complete the vaccination series.
HPV vaccine is not currently recommended for women over age 26 or for males.
There is not enough data to recommend for or against HPV vaccination for women ages 19 to 26.

Source: w w w.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_44118.html

BorderGirl said:

The false sense I'm referrring to is that the value of the vaccine should not be overstated. Women should still protect themselves.
According to the medical community "it remains critical that women undergo regular screening even if they have been vaccinated".

HPV vaccination is also recommended for females ages 13 to 18 years to catch up on a missed vaccine or to complete the vaccination series.
There is not enough data to recommend for or against HPV vaccination for women ages 19 to 26.

No one in this thread has refuted any of this information or attempted to convince people that the vaccine is more effective than it is. I guess I don't see why this information would make the vaccine a bad idea? So far I still have not seen any information saying the vaccine is risky or has harmful side effects, even for 9 year olds.

BorderGirl said:

Okay, no one has said that women shouldn't protect themselves just because they got the HPV vaccine. And, I don't see anything wrong with the data you put up. So, what are you getting at?

Back
Top Bottom