Required STD shots worry some parents - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Does that mean that certain actions are only alright if their done for the right reasons? It would be alright to not get a child immunised for secular reasons but religious/moral objections are invalid?
Whoever said that? You seem to be missing the point. I'm not sure how you label your child's health as a "secular" reason.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #47
She's the One

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

By LIZ AUSTIN PETERSON, Associated Press WriterMon Feb 5, 11:04 PM ET

"I don't think the government should ever presume to know better than the parents what to do with children," Republican Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said.

HA!

Does Texas have a mandatory bike helmet law for kids?

Old 02-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 PM
That's just what I was thinking and failed to mention-what about all the numerous instances in which the government "interferes" with parenting?

Is it only a problem for some people when it comes to sex?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoishot
I didn't even know you could get a vaccine for this. Unless thats just in the US?
I believe the UK government is also planning on making this same vaccine mandatory. They were planning on giving it to 12 year olds (which would make sense as think about how many other vaccines you get in secondary school, it'd be easy to add another to the list). People also kicked up a bit of a fuss saying 12 year olds shouldn't be having sex so why do they need the vaccine and so on.

At least I think they were planning on all this. I could be confusing it with something else.

EDIT: Hold on, found a link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/s...864163,00.html So there were no government plans, sorry my mistake!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #50
Protecting my eyes ARRRR!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Here's the CDC info on it, I'm just reading through it myself....

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/STDFact-HPV-vaccine.htm

I knew about it because there was a thread here a while back and there have been TV ad campaigns promoting the vaccine in the US. I'm going to my gyn for a yearly physical this week and was going to ask her about it.
Thanks for link. Am just reading through the info. Just checked out the companies website. Its not available in the UK. Might see if anything similar is available here. My friend is going to her gyn soon so shes going to ask. Her Mum died of cervical cancer so she would greatly support having something like this if there were no risks involved with the vaccine.

6 countries,11 shows. AMAZING FRIENDS AND MEMORIES = Jem's priceless 360 Tour
Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #51
Protecting my eyes ARRRR!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1

I believe the UK government is also planning on making this same vaccine mandatory. They were planning on giving it to 12 year olds (which would make sense as think about how many other vaccines you get in secondary school, it'd be easy to add another to the list). People also kicked up a bit of a fuss saying 12 year olds shouldn't be having sex so why do they need the vaccine and so on.

At least I think they were planning on all this. I could be confusing it with something else.

EDIT: Hold on, found a link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/s...864163,00.html So there were no government plans, sorry my mistake!
Thanks for the link.

6 countries,11 shows. AMAZING FRIENDS AND MEMORIES = Jem's priceless 360 Tour
Old 02-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Okay so I called my dad just now to tell him I saw Flava-Flav in Honolulu. He asked if I was gonna get this vaccination. And...just to see what he'd say, I told him I refused, because it encouraged sexual promiscuity. After a long pause he cussed me out for my "stupidity."

Note: My old man is a conservative.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #53
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami
Okay so I called my dad just now to tell him I saw Flava-Flav in Honolulu.
I think this is more disturbing than anything else in this thread.

But Go! swami's daddy!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

Redhotswami, I hope you don't take that vaccination as an excuse to be promiscuous with Flava Flav.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #55
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Redhotswami, I hope you don't take that vaccination as an excuse to be promiscuous with Flava Flav.
Because you'd catch something for sure.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
nah...i've got a list...and Flava Flav isn't on top
Old 02-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Because you'd catch something for sure.
or a lot of things.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Whether I agree with the mandatory vaccination or not, I think this Star Telgram columnist makes several good points about the way that Governor Perry handled this all...

Perry needs to listen to will of folksBy Mitchell Schnurman
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
If Texas is to be the first state to mandate a vaccine against cervical cancer, shouldn't we talk about the merits first and get some public input from doctors and parents?

That's beyond obvious, except that Gov. Rick Perry short-circuited the process late Friday and ordered the vaccines for all girls entering sixth grade.

His executive order may be a courageous move for a politician, because Perry was willing to defy his traditional base of supporters. But it seems rash, even foolish, for an executive manager and elected leader.

Perry is championing a noble cause -- preventing cervical cancer -- but he's managed to enrage people on both sides by the way he's handled it.

The primary complaint isn't with Merck's vaccine against the human papillomavirus, or HPV. Most folks don't know enough about it to render a judgment, although they're surely inclined to embrace any treatment that saves lives.

Perry's problem is that he didn't let the public air out the issue and debate everything. People deserve a spirited discussion of test results, side effects, sexual politics, even Merck's money trail in Austin.

Maybe that would be divisive for the state. Maybe it would embarrass some lawmakers, including Perry, whose former top aide is a Merck lobbyist.

But democracy can handle it. And if the Legislature got stuck in neutral, as often happens in Austin, Perry could have issued an executive order in May.

This would have allowed him to trot out supporters of the vaccine and declare that public health has to transcend bickering politics. Even detractors would have had their say, and that alone is a valuable process.

"It's important to let people talk and to visibly listen," says Cal Jillson, who teaches political science at Southern Methodist University. "That lets some air out of the opposition."

A spokeswoman said Perry wanted to give state officials and others more time to prepare for the vaccine. But the rule is not scheduled to take effect until September, and Perry could have signaled his intentions without heading off a public debate -- if a few extra months are that vital.

Instead, Perry acted unilaterally. And prematurely in my view, considering that the Legislature is in session, and that it typically handles vaccination programs for the state.

As a result, Perry created a festering controversy and a lot of speculation about his motives. Many news reports recounted how Mike Toomey, Perry's chief of staff for two years, is now a Merck lobbyist.

The Houston Chronicle reported that Merck has donated $6,000 to Perry since 2005 and $38,000 to other legislators and lawmakers.

Merck is also banking on the HPV vaccine in a big way, hoping to get it adopted throughout the country. It reportedly can prevent most cervical cancer if young girls are inoculated before they become sexually active.

Last week, an advocacy group that often opposes vaccinations said it found serious side effects in the Merck drug. The next day, Perry announced his executive order.

So what exactly is the hurry?

Perry's decision also raises suspicions, because it runs counter to his history. Jillson says Perry has always promoted small government, lower taxes and parental control.

"This vaccine program is very big, very expensive and very intrusive," Jillson says. "And he's taking a beating on it."

The Merck connection interjects another money angle into the discussion.

And when it comes to public health, motives have to be beyond reproach, so people are confident in the science.

In business, most chief executives have the authority to adopt policies without consulting anyone. In practice, they usually meet with employees, experts, even customers, to gauge the broader sentiment and shore up support.

They may pay lip service to opposing views, but they don't lock them out. Smart politics is part of smart business.

In a speech Tuesday, Perry said, "I refuse to look a young woman in the eye 10 years from now who suffers from this form of cancer and tell her we could have stopped it, but we didn't."

That sounds sincere, yet it doesn't explain why the rest of the state shouldn't be involved in the discussion.

"This is a decision that should not be made by one person. It should be made by the Legislature," said Sen. Jane Nelson, R-Lewisville.

Twenty-six of the state's 31 senators agree, including one who introduced a bill on HPV vaccines.

They sent a letter to Perry, asking him to rescind his order and let the issue proceed in the Legislature.

Elsewhere, some longtime Perry supporters ripped the move and said he had circumvented the democratic process.

Perry has received kudos from surprising corners, including an editorial in Tuesday's New York Times that urged other states to follow Texas' path.

If the HPV vaccine saves lives, the ends may justify the means. But it didn't have to be that way, at least not yet.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

I went to the doc for a physical today and asked her about the vaccine. She says I'm at such a non-existent risk (for reasons that don't need to be discussed here) that she wouldn't recommend it for me, unless insurance covered it and it was, say $10. However, I do think it makes far more sense for girls to start getting before they get into relationships and fooling around. It's actually a series of three shots. I will think about it more when they actually start getting their supply and the insurance company makes up it's mind...
Old 02-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Although I haven't seen any factual evidence against the vaccine I agree he didn't handle it the way a good governor would have.

But hey, it's Perry, he's a shit governor.