Republican tribute for Johnny Cash - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 09-04-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
War Child
Local Time: 02:20 PM
Republican tribute for Johnny Cash

I dunno if it's been discussed here or not yet but just putting it up for discussion the Johhny Cash tribute GOC Republican Convention.

Johnny would never have taken part in Republican events while he was living so it seems a bit off to me

Old 09-05-2004, 01:02 AM   #2
Local Time: 02:20 PM
Cash was in no way a Republican.
He did have a buddy who was a Repblican
in Congress that's about it.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:20 PM
I agree - I really don't think that Johnny Cash would have chosen to get involved in the sort of partisan politics that is currently taken place in the U.S. Presidential election.

Cash was a man of the People - of poor and working people, of people who feel disenfranchised from the political, economic and social structures they live in, so how much his viewpoints would have fittef in to the current Republican agenda is VERY DEBATABLE.

I only wonder if there was permission given for this "tribute" from the Cash family and who would have given it. Anyway, this "tribute" doesn't seem to fit the image of "The Man in Black"!

Unfortunately, I would have to say that this seemed to be an obvious pandering to the STEREOTYPE that those who appreciate Country Music are sympathetic to the current policies of the Republican Party - which I feel would be a gross simplification of reality.

Country Music, like Rock Music, HipHop or any other form of music, has NO discernable political ideology and it is WRONG of others to twist things around to make it appear that does.

Anyway, there is a concept called Karma which Johnny Cash knew much about and I imagine that he is already ensuring that Karma will appropriately have its day in this regard.

Thanks, katey, for bringing this to our attention.