Republican Criticizes Christian Sway in GOP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
FINALLY!! Bravo!! :applaud:

By DANIEL CONNOLLY, Associated Press Writer
Thu Oct 27,12:23 AM ET

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Former Sen. John Danforth said Wednesday that the political influence of evangelical Christians is hurting the Republican Party and dividing the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Danforth, a Missouri Republican and an Episcopal priest, commented after meeting with students at the Bill Clinton School of Public Service, a graduate branch of the University of Arkansas on the grounds of the Clinton presidential library.

"I think that the Republican Party fairly recently has been taken over by the Christian conservatives, by the Christian right," he said in an interview. "I don't think that this is a permanent condition, but I think this has happened, and that it's divisive for the country."

He also said the evangelical Christian influence would be bad for the party in the long run.

Republican National Committee spokeswoman Tracy Schmitt declined to comment on Danforth's remarks.

Danforth, who recently served as ambassador to the United Nations, made similar criticism of the party in an opinion article published by the New York Times in June. In that article, he called for religious moderates to take part in public life.

Danforth, considered a conservative on social issues, was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1976 and served three terms.

he has made remarks like this before

he is a religious conservative that many could learn something from

he had too much honor and integrity to continue working for the Bush Administration

Then Bravo for him.

I love, though, how this important fact only comes to light when the "Christian" PACS are hurting a Bush initiative directly...a Supreme Court nominee. 99% of the other times, they are seen as helping Bush, so they are not only tolerated but encouraged, to the point of covert financial backing, regardless of "divisivness." Now they are coming back to haunt Our Glorious Leader, so all steps must be taken to try to hush them up. I know these people. I left a church full of them. They are NOT Shalom. Don't you know that if you have a tiger by the tail, the fangs are still dangerous? It makes me sick.

And this comes from a Christian herself....

Last edited:
It's nice to see someone with Danforth's conservative credentials to come forward and make some honest comments about the Bush Administration big government moves. And I'm also a Christian who has questions about the Christian right; they don't speak for me.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
It's nice to see someone with Danforth's conservative credentials to come forward and make some honest comments about the Bush Administration big government moves. And I'm also a Christian who has questions about the Christian right; they don't speak for me.

Same here. And I'm very uneasy about the direction our current government is taking us. :(

Back
Top Bottom