Repeat Drunk Driving Offenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny, really. It's a selfish attitute, I think. It becomes an me vs you scenario. And I'm not meaning you and I, lol. Someone's civil liberties are so important, but they come at cost of mine, or vice versa. My civil liberties are to feel safe and be safe. Not to have my bubble of existence infringed upon by a drunk. And the way I see it, he who breaks the law to enforce his liberties, loses.

Tough titties, huh?

Signed,
your Never President.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Katelyn Melia's baby died this past weekend, they are now considering murder charges

Drunk driving should be a felony, IMO, not some petty crime you get warnings, fines, or suspensions for. That way, the above said is felonious murder, not some weak manslaughter charge.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Drunk driving should be a felony, IMO, not some petty crime you get warnings, fines, or suspensions for. That way, the above said is felonious murder, not some weak manslaughter charge.

:up:

Boston Herald, Oct 13th

A Kingston MA man who a prosecutor said spent more than half his life as a ``professional drunk driver'' – swerving his way to nine convictions – was granted bail yesterday after OUI arrest No. 10 and may soon be allowed to drive.
Russell Santheson, 50, was granted $5,000 cash bail by a Plymouth judge. District Attorney Tim Cruz said he expects the repeat offender to post bail. He had not as of last night.
``It's time to get serious,'' said Cruz, who hopes for quick passage of the stymied ``Melanie's Law'' legislation to toughen penalties for repeat drunken drivers who know how to exploit the system. ``A guy like this who has nine prior convictions is certainly well aware of what to do when he gets pulled over.''
Melanie's Law would hit repeat offenders who refuse to take Breathalyzer tests and require some to drive only cars whose ignitions are tied to mini-versions of the machines.
Santheson was first convicted of drunken driving in 1975, said Bridgett Norton-Middleton, spokeswoman for the Plymouth County District Attorney's Office. On his way to earning nine convictions, Santheson refused Breathalyzer tests at least four times, earning a license suspension for each. Prosecutors complain that refusing tests helps drivers avoid conviction.
He was last convicted of OUI in 1996 and had his license revoked for eight years the following year. It was reinstated in April of this year.
Barbara Harrington, executive director for the Massachusetts Chapter of MADD, said, ``I have to second the motion from District Attorney Cruz. This is one of the most dangerous drivers on the road and he should not be able to drive while awaiting resolution of the case.''
Harrington added, ``The good news is that he was stopped that night and arrested. People like him are out there and flaws in the state's laws are allowing them to keep getting behind the wheel.''
Santheson was driving in Hanson Oct. 6 and was swerving so badly another motorist flashed his lights and pulled him over. The concerned driver asked Santheson to park his truck and accept a ride home. But Santheson refused, instead pulling out in front of a police officer, who then stopped him.
Prosecutors asked the judge to set $15,000 bail and order Santheson to wear an electronic monitoring bracelet.
Instead bail was set at one-third that amount, and if the Registry of Motor Vehicles will permit it, the judge told Santheson, he can drive to work and back.
If convicted of this offense, Cruz said, Santheson could spend the next five years in jail.

Back
Top Bottom