Repeat Drunk Driving Offenders - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2005, 04:51 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 12:43 PM
You're right. My stepfather is in long-term treatment right now for his 4th DUI. I have a feeling that somewhere down the line he will return to drinking and go out and drive again.

Maybe we should just really toss them into a jail and throw away the key.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:59 AM   #17
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:43 AM
If people are going to continue being a threat to themselves and others, something has to be done.
Unfortunately I reckon we all know of people who do such unexplainable things. i have a neighbour who just cannot stop drinking and driving. he has a gambling addiction and in the last year has slipped down the drugs route. His last appearance in court saw him lose his license for 2 years on the proviso he doesn't repeat offend yet again, and if he does, it's an automatic 2 year stint. Will he stop? He hasn't yet, so he is a risk to himself and everyone. Court threats fail him, as does counselling.

At least removing him from the roads will remove the threat. It's not ideal, never is.

Old 07-27-2005, 06:14 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:43 PM
This really sucks. This sort of thing really upsets me.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:06 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
^I'm all for strengthening the punishment for DUI, but that's too harsh.
Really? Why's that?

The problem I have is that people too often have this attitude like driving is their right and by default they should be allowed to do so in whatever condition they please. Driving needs to be considered a privilege that you EARN via driver's ed and simply obeying very clear-cut and simple laws. Sorry, I just won't be part of the whole "well, they'll just do it anyway" attitude regarding harsher punishments (for any number of laws, not just DUIs). When people disobey the law, they deserve to be punished, period. I don't see the point in increasing jail time since jails and prisons are already overflowing and our tax dollars go to feed these people. You drive drunk, you don't drive again, IMO.

One of my uncles has been in jail for drunk driving and I can barely look him in the eye b/c all I can think about is what innocent people he could potentially kill next time he leaves the bar.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
^I'm all for strengthening the punishment for DUI, but that's too harsh.
No it isn't. Driving while drunk is easily avoided so I don't see why harsh punishments shouldn't be imposed on those who choose to do it, particularly when the potential consequences to others are so horrendous.

It's simple - if you plan to go out for the night and drink, don't take your car. If you plan not to drink and change your mind take a taxi home and collect your car the next day. If you're at home drinking and need to go somewhere then walk, use public transport, take a taxi.

There is no excuse whatsoever for driving while drunk. Even if someone has a problem with alcohol, their problem is with alcohol not with driving so even if they can't resist having a drink they certainly can resist getting into a car.

Yes taking away someone's license for life is harsh, but if people know that is the automatic punishment for being caught driving when drunk then they'll think twice before doing it. Maybe it's the only way to stop them.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 12:43 PM
One, when drunk, can't resist getting into a car. People do stupid things when drunk. Especially trying to drive while being drunk. And people that are around them should be punished as well if they are found with a drunk driver. That way friends of drunk drivers will stop them. A fucking bumper sticker "Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Drunk" is a joke. I've had many friends let me, wait- ask me to drive after they've seen me drink more than 2 beers. When I got caught for my DUI, my friend was with me, sober! She was taken home while I was taken to jail. She should have been charged with a crime as well, although not as bad as a crime as I've committed but I'd say the charge will be "Accessory to commit a crime" and given a $500 fine, 24 hours in jail, and a license suspension of 30 days. That way people can stop other people from driving drunk.

The second DUI, the driver should complete a 30 day rehab, plus a fine of $2000, plus 20 days in jail, plus the Driver's License is revoked for life. Any passengers of the vehicle charged with "Accessory to commit a crime". Vehicle taken away.
The 2nd "Accessory to commit a crime" should be punished as if it were a 1st DUI: 72 hours in jail, a $1000 fine, revocation of license for 90 days, and rehab as prescribed, and vehicle impounded for 30 days.
If the repeat DUI offender does it again, put em in jail for life after the 3rd DUI.
Harsh punishment, harsher laws, necessary long-term rehab= lesser DUI's.
This is the only way I see it working.

My friend has TWO DUI's. People still let her drive drunk. She's had her car taken away and her license taken away for a year and 90 days. She was put in rehab for 30 days and jail for 3 days. She has paid over $10,000 in legal fees and fines.
She still occasionally drives drunk, so don't tell me that our laws are working.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:41 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

You drive drunk, you don't drive again, IMO.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:42 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Considering it only takes one attempt to kill a person when you're driving drunk, I don't see why we should give these people multiple opportunities to do so.

Zero tolerance for me on this issue.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:50 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by xtal
One, when drunk, can't resist getting into a car. People do stupid things when drunk. Especially trying to drive while being drunk.
Well if a person really can't resist driving while drunk they need to stop being so selfish and learn some self-control. And please note, I am not suggesting alcoholics need to stop being selfish and learn control, I'm well aware that alcoholism isn't about that. But even if someone can't resist having a drink, they can certainly resist deciding to get into a car and endanger themselves and everyone else using the roads at that time.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:12 AM   #25
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Considering it only takes one attempt to kill a person when you're driving drunk, I don't see why we should give these people multiple opportunities to do so.

Zero tolerance for me on this issue.
Precisely.

There's a campaign in Australia with signs I see at sporting events reading "Drink. Drive. Bloody Idiot." I reckon that should be extended: "Drink. Drive. Bloody Idiot. Forfeit Licence. Forever."

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-28-2005, 02:19 AM   #26
Vocal parasite

What truly pisses me off is that people who endanger innocent lives and thereby should have forfeited their privilege of driving are still allowed on the road while I can't drive, ever, because of my vision. These people get chance after chance while I can't have a single one. I'd love to be able to drive, while these dipshits take it for granted.

And you know what? This bullshit about needing a licence is exactly that: BULLSHIT. Sure, having to rely on others for a lift can be a bit of a hassle at times and it would be really convenient to be able to drive, but I manage to survive. I can get around to do what I need and want to do. And if you're dumb enough to drink and drive when your very job is based around driving (i.e. you're a truck driver), well, it's your own stupid fault when you suddenly find yourself in the unemployed queue and you deserve to be there.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-28-2005, 02:47 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
And you know what? This bullshit about needing a licence is exactly that: BULLSHIT. Sure, having to rely on others for a lift can be a bit of a hassle at times and it would be really convenient to be able to drive, but I manage to survive. I can get around to do what I need and want to do. And if you're dumb enough to drink and drive when your very job is based around driving (i.e. you're a truck driver), well, it's your own stupid fault when you suddenly find yourself in the unemployed queue and you deserve to be there.
I couldn't agree more. I have a driving license but I don't own a car at the moment and I manage fine without it. Yes, it's sometimes inconvenient to have to rely on others or use unreliable public transport but it's by no means impossible. I think the inconvenience of not being able to drive is a mild penalty for something as serious as drunk driving.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:58 AM   #28
Jesus Online

I agree Axver. Dunno if Vic is the same, I'd guess so. Every 2 years diabetics and a fair list of others need to ge a medical report done to keep their license. No mention of adictions to substances which hinder skill. Of course epilepsy can affect driving. Just like fucking alcohol can. I cant believe from some of the threads we've had in here, some states in America have a blood alcohol limit of up to 0.08! You dnt all have compulsory seat belt laws, and you have ridiculously dangerously high alcohol levels!! Do you all want to die? People suggest implementing changes and then the outcries start about infringements of civil liberties. Fuck your civil liberties! Safety and liberty need compromise. It absolutely leaves me gobsmacked. I'd love to be your president for a day. I'd only last a day before some extremist liberal or conservative shot me, but you'd all be a bloody hell of a lot safer.
I look at our laws, much stricter and tighter than yours. This country gets into this mutual slap in the chops state whenever a long weekend or whatever approaches, as we too, have high road tolls. Each state has a tally and each holiday, we bemoan stupidity and wish people would wake up to themselves and that the police could do more.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:50 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I support legislation to do something about this terrible problem. A person shouldn't have to run any more risks when they get in a car than is necessary, and drunk drivers are a huge threat to the public safety. You can't change the fact that alcohol screws up your judgment big time. Don't let drunk drivers drive. Period.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:56 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Fuck your civil liberties!
Ideas like that would ensure you wouldn't last the morning as President for a day.