Remember, white people “find” things; black people “loot”. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2005, 12:11 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:03 PM
what melon said -the media has inherent biases and prejudices. The fact that they wouldn't even see the discrepancy in the caption of these two pictures speaks volumes. It's not just this incident, it goes way beyond that.

Old 08-31-2005, 03:50 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Abomb-baby
[B]Oh Brother, PCism run Amuck. I guess no one really knows who "Found" or looted anything. Although I think anyone who is wading through

isn't it "interesting" that the people who usually have benifited from a certain level of advantage because of their gender and/or race- sometimes ethnicity {usually men, usually white, then white women white people, then poeple of color { it can also be men of color, then women of colo] }.....are the ones that complain the loudest {and the worst can get very vicious} when their breathed-in-like-air position in life is pointed out to them.

AND I realize that many working class & poor white men feel like victims but they are more economic victims ... that are often more due to certain types of upper middle class and rich class bigotry again the lower classes and certain types of job losses through changes in types of economy "unskilled" labor, blue & white collar jobs,, manufacturing s service vs tech /or the professions etc.

I actually caught that article/comparision through a few hyperliks this afternoon, deep.

but thinks for bringing it here.......

Old 08-31-2005, 03:54 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

^ agreed.

it amazes me (and this goes out to NO ONE in particular on this forum, i mean this as a general comment) when people who were born on third base walk through life thinking they hit a triple.

also, the #1 beneficiaries of Affirmative Action are ... white women.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:28 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:03 AM
this afternoon i was watching our local news online. they were showing looters in a wal-mart. in the beginning, all you saw were black people in the store and then they focused on the white people. i remember commenting to some co-workers that i was glad they were not just showing one race in this instance.

and i agree, taking things for survival at this point is a must. i don't know what i would honestly do in that position. do you?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:48 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Doozer61

and i agree, taking things for survival at this point is a must. i don't know what i would honestly do in that position. do you?
I would do the same and I'm white through and through. If the grocery stores are as damaged as the houses, they're probably a total loss anyway so who cares if hungry, now homeless people take some food.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:00 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Doozer61
But does that justify the ransacking of electronics stores and clothing stores?

Food is one thing but the guys will shopping carts full of other stuff I have a problem with.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:30 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Frankly, I'd take whatever food/water I can and attempt to get the hell out of there instead of carrying out 20 pairs of high end jeans.

It's kind of like my experience with war. 99% of the people are trying to just survive and the other 1% see it as a business opportunity.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:59 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'd agree that what we need to know here is whether the captions were written by the same person. If not, I don't think there's any issue.

Of course, there's tons of subtle racism in the media...they generally only raise the "amber alert" and closely follow the cases if it's cute white kids getting abducted. Still, I think this has more to do with marketing and giving their audience what they want to see (unfortunately), than racist individuals within the media.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:26 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

I think people are missing a key point here. I think a lot of you here are defining "racism" in terms of how intentional it was. If that's the case, no, I don't think there's many KKK members or supporters in media.

But latent prejudice, in the form of stereotypes, is all over the place. And, no, very little of this is intentional, but it doesn't make it any less offensive. It is, however, extremely beneficial to be able to point out such prejudices, however unintentional, in the hopes of getting the media to be more balanced in their portrayals.

Melon
Old 08-31-2005, 09:47 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:33 PM
I could care less if the people "loot" or find food, at this point the people have to survive and they can't run down to the nearest 7-11 to buy a big gulp. If the supermarket or store is destroyed, have at it. Better they eat it or drink it, then it go to waste.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:03 PM
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/

An article written by Peggy Noonan, a onetime speech writer for President Reagan. Here is a sample paragraph.

If this part of the story grows--if cities on the gulf come to seem like some combination of Dodge and the Barbarian invasion--it's going to be bad for our country. One of the things that keeps us together, and that lets this great lumbering nation move forward each day, is the sense that we will be decent and brave in times of crisis, that the fabric holds, that under duress it is American heroism and altruism that take hold and not base instincts born of irresponsibility, immaturity and greed.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:48 PM   #42
Acrobat

Point about the merchandise.

In 1985, West Virginia had a flood. A lot of damage to many businesses. Food (even canned and bottled food that could not have been contaminated) in stores that were infiltrated by just an inch or two of flood water--could not be sold. All food of any type from grocery and\or convenience stores infiltrated by flood waters was a complete loss.

So anybody down there that needs something to eat\drink and who can find something uncomtaminated has no reason NOT to help themselves.

Hell. Go ahead. Clean out a whole shelf of soda. It's already garbage to by health code.

(We were not rich people. We had a neighbor who owned a grocery store. His entire inventory was a loss, whether it had been IN the water or not. After the flood was over, he helped us out by giving us cases of perfectly untouched canned goods that the health code prevented him from selling.)

About electronics, clothes, etc.; up to you, I guess. How willing are you to risk going to jail?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:57 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Well, one funny thing about taking stuff other than food/water/diapers,etc is umm, they are evacuating the city, everyone's home is pretty much gone so where do they plan on putting their stolen sneakers, coats, etc.

Hold on, officer, while I go get my stolen goods to put on the bus, just madness.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:03 AM   #44
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Well, one funny thing about taking stuff other than food/water/diapers,etc is umm, they are evacuating the city, everyone's home is pretty much gone so where do they plan on putting their stolen sneakers, coats, etc.

Hold on, officer, while I go get my stolen goods to put on the bus, just madness.
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. What the hell are they going to do with that stuff? Shrink wrap it and hope it'll still be dry when the water goes down?

Old 09-01-2005, 06:26 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

there's some discussion of it here

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/30...e_loot_wh.html