Religious tolerance...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
These "war on Christmas" threads got me thinking...

If we had true religious tolerance would we have terrorism? Would we have war?

Why can't we accept that others see 'god' in a different light?

Why do some hate the idea of "COEXIST"?

I don't know the answer to that one. I do know there isn't really a war on christmas, but that doesn't answer the main question, I guess.

Actually, yes I think you would have terrorism and war, because in general religion is part of the cultural gilding of the lilly. War and strife is usually to do with power and access to resources and/or influence and/or independence.

So yah. Sorry. The wars will continue, I think.

People use religion as a justification for their prejudices and bad behavior. Sure, they may say otherwise, but how many people look to the Bible to find "exceptions" to "love one another"? You can even find justifications for genocide in the Old Testament, and that's what I find so disgusting about religion. People aren't interested in getting along with one another. They're interested in homogenizing the world in their image--by force, if need be.

Melon

Define tolerance - as it is actually used.

People can cling to one magic concept (like "love one another"), but do they put it into practice? No.

You will also have the second prong of "inclusiveness" to deal with. All the "war on Christmas" threads stem from the notion that we should not tolerate a religious specific greeting because it is not "inclusive".

nbcrusader said:
You will also have the second prong of "inclusiveness" to deal with. All the "war on Christmas" threads stem from the notion that we should not tolerate a religious specific greeting because it is not "inclusive".

This is a thread about religion, which has free license to do what it wants. It also has a reputation for being intolerant, which I would say isn't all that unwarranted considering its current excursion into politics.

When we're dealing with the secular arena, that's when it needs to be more inclusive for all beliefs. But the difference with the secular and religious arenas is that religion has no compulsion to change. If it wants to think that only white people go to heaven, like many in the white supremacist arena, it's perfectly allowed. It doesn't mean we should be encouraging those kinds of beliefs in public.

Melon

melon said:
This is a thread about religion, which has free license to do what it wants. It also has a reputation for being intolerant, which I would say isn't all that unwarranted considering its current excursion into politics.

The same can be said about secular humanism. Actually to an even greater degree as secular humanism has no outside reference system.

melon said:
When we're dealing with the secular arena, that's when it needs to be more inclusive for all beliefs. But the difference with the secular and religious arenas is that religion has no compulsion to change. If it wants to think that only white people go to heaven, like many in the white supremacist arena, it's perfectly allowed. It doesn't mean we should be encouraging those kinds of beliefs in public.

I think you'd be fooling yourself to say the application of religious beliefs doesn't change. It may take time, but they do change. Conversly, the secular arena can change with the wind - with the loudest voice or the threat of preceived wrong doing.

nbcrusader said:
The same can be said about secular humanism. Actually to an even greater degree as secular humanism has no outside reference system.

Not like religion does either.

I think you'd be fooling yourself to say the application of religious beliefs doesn't change. It may take time, but they do change. Conversly, the secular arena can change with the wind - with the loudest voice or the threat of preceived wrong doing.

Religious beliefs do change. It's followers tend to have a habit of believing that those changes have always been there.

And I don't believe that secularism "changes with the wind" any more than religion does. The difference is in the admission of such change.

Melon

SimplyConfused said:
You just gotta face it; the world will never be rid of narrow minded people, the people who think that what they think is right and true, and anyone that doesn't agree with them is inferior to them.

Is this a truth for you?

Back
Top Bottom