Religious? Spiritual? God? Athiest? WHY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
U2 is obviously a spiritual band. That's obvious. I'm just wondering though how many of you are spiritual? How many of you believe in God? How many of you have a faith in any type of relgion or spirituality? Do the religious takes in U2's songs make you more of a fan or is it perhaps the other way around? Did U2 influence you into finidng your own faith? me personally I'm nothing. I'm not a believer in a God nor am I a nonbeliever in a God for that matter. The religious overtones in U2's music I like, yet I don't have a faith of my own and in fact I'm not really looking. This brings me to my next question. Why do "YOU" have faith and I don't? I mean I have friends who are truely devoted Christians. Great people who have such a passion for somthing that as far as I can tell may not even exist. Not saying it doesn't exist but nothing has ever inspired me to have faith in somthing like that. On the other hand nothing has ever pushed me away from it. I have friends who are Christian, my grandmother is a Christian, I used to sing in a Church choir but still nothing compells me to talk(pray) to someone who isn't even in the room. I don't feel I need it. I was discusing it with u2bonogirl earlier today and for her God is somthing she feels she needs. God is somthing she loves where as on the flip side I don't feel I need a God. This isn't to say that if he came and sat down with me I'd shun him. Definately not, but I find it so intrigueing how so many people can have such a passion and such a strong faith while others like myself don't have it, don't see it, and don't feel the need for it. I don't feel a void in my life by not having these things yet others swear by it and literally would die for it. Basically what I'm asking is, why do you have faith, where does it come from and when did you know you had it? Because from where I stand, someone can preach all they want, but faith isn't somthing you can preach into someone. I don't even believ that you can simply decide to have faith. You either have it or you don't and neither is right or wrong. I'm conent without it. There is no void in my life which many people who have found faith claim they had before they found their faith; only they didn't realise it.

For those who feel the need to respond by saying that me asking these questions is a sign that I do feel a void in my life; please don't. It's condescending and completely off the mark. I've had people say that to me before when asking questions and it honestly comes across as arrogant and is a total turn off to the whole topic. Though I'm sure none of you lovely people will do that.:hug: For me it's more like a paranormal(no offence) thing where so many people feel it and see it yet other don't.

Oh and also I'd like to add that it doesn't matter what religion you are. that's not the point. The point is why and how.

Hallucination said:
I'm just wondering though how many of you are spiritual? How many of you believe in God? How many of you have a faith in any type of relgion or spirituality?

I personally do believe in a higher being of some kind. I just don't tie it down to any specific faith right now. And I tend to lean towards the idea of reincarnation in regards to an afterlife, and think guardian angels could be plausible (not "angels" in the traditional sense with the halos and all that, though).

And that's really about it for me as far as my spiritual side goes, I think.

Originally posted by Hallucination
Do the religious takes in U2's songs make you more of a fan or is it perhaps the other way around? Did U2 influence you into finidng your own faith?

No. I've had these kinds of beliefs about religious stuff since before I was a U2 fan. I do, however, feel I can relate quite well to U2's lyrics regarding religion-they're not afraid to question things, too, just like me.

I find it so intrigueing how so many people can have such a passion and such a strong faith while others like myself don't have it, don't see it, and don't feel the need for it.

Well, religion isn't exactly a big passion in my life, but I guess I'd figure that this is just like anything else-everyone's got something in their lives they're passionate about, be it religion or music or writing or movies or sports or whatever.

I think people should be interested in whatever makes them happy :). If religion doesn't ignite those kinds of feelings in you that it does other people, hey, that's fine. Chances are there's things you're really into that others won't get, either. Such is life-you go about your business and be interested in whatever means the most to you, they go about theirs and show interest in whatever means the most to them, both sides respect each other, everyone's happy :).

Basically what I'm asking is, why do you have faith, where does it come from and when did you know you had it?

I think I'd personally always kinda had it. As to why...well, I tend to be fascinated by otherworldly types of things to begin with, so it'd not be much of a surprise that I would believe in the possiblity of a higher being. That, and I dunno, to me, I just like to think that there is someone out there keeping an eye on people (and not in a bad way. Looking out for them and such), or taking care of them after they've left this earth, or something like that.

Where does it come from? I don't really know.

Because from where I stand, someone can preach all they want, but faith isn't somthing you can preach into someone. I don't even believ that you can simply decide to have faith. You either have it or you don't and neither is right or wrong. I'm conent without it. There is no void in my life

I agree with all of this :up: :yes:. When it comes to religion and all the things associated with it, it should remain a personal choice. It's not my place to tell you what you should and shouldn't believe.

Thankfully, I think you shouldn't have to worry too much about the possiblity of someone trying to preach at you here. Most people here are pretty good about that sort of thing.

Angela

Last edited:
I would definately say that I am spiritual. I believe in a higher power...and I do believe that everyday life is full of miracles. I haven't found a specific religion that suits me however. I guess organized religion puts me off. I'm some weird form of hybrid Christian I guess. I don't know what to call it, but I know I believe :)

Hallucination said:
...but still nothing compells me to talk(pray) to someone who isn't even in the room. I don't feel I need it. Definately not, but I find it so intrigueing how so many people can have such a passion and such a strong faith while others like myself don't have it, don't see it, and don't feel the need for it. I don't feel a void in my life by not having these things yet others swear by it and literally would die for it. Because from where I stand, someone can preach all they want, but faith isn't somthing you can preach into someone. I don't even believ that you can simply decide to have faith. You either have it or you don't and neither is right or wrong. I'm conent without it. There is no void in my life which many people who have found faith claim they had before they found their faith; only they didn't realise it.

... Juicy topic! (but does this not belong in the "Goal" section?) The kind I like. Thought-provoking... Hmmm, or perhaps the type of thread where I get to stroke my ego as I claim to "witness", perhaps... We shall see...

Hallu, a few questions, if I may... How old are ya?
And I ask that because to all the observations you have written down about yourself and your faith or lack-there-of, I would put at the end of it, the word, ...."YET".

There is still time.

I'm not saying things (beliefs, lives, needs, wisdom, etc..) WILL change... but they might.... They often do as one travels the journey of life.... As one stumbles and falls in one's walk. And choices and opportunities are placed before that person... and the person has choice to accept, believe, or reject.

I believe that faith is ultimately a choice and not a "feeling". It is said in religious circles that it is in fact a gift of the Holy Spirit... but still, one has to choose to accept a gift.

God, I could go on forever here... BUT I won't !!(by the way... I AM the Prodigal Son... "I know there is a God, and I am not He")

I remember when I first came back to God (ummm... "crawled back" to a God I no longer believed in... but somehow desperately needed), and a co-worker (atheist) smuggingly said, "the people that believe in God are weak because they need to believe in something other than themselves to save them. They are weak and frightened."

ouch.

I told this to a church mentor, and she said,... "He is right!"

She also said there was MUCH more to that (and there is!), but she made me away of the attitude I could choose in my faith.
Humility over ego. Surrender over self-dependence.
Hope I haven't preached... much.

Peace.

Last edited:
I'm a practicing Catholic. This is not to say I agree with everything a priest says. I don't accept the Church's position on homosexuality--I don't see anything wrong with two people loving each other, period. American Catholics are notorious for our independence, which drives the Vatican crazy. That's why we'll never have an American pope. I haven't always felt this way. I left the Protestant church (Methodisit) I was raised in in high school and went for years as a lukewarm deist. So I feel like I can understand many different points of view based on my experiences.

I'm Catholic, mainly because my mother and father are. I think one day i may change, because there is alot I don't agree with that the church says. But I do believe in God and Jesus 100%.

I'm just wondering though how many of you are spiritual? How many of you believe in God? How many of you have a faith in any type of relgion or spirituality?

Sprituality is......... something I am not sure how to address. I will condlude with my own statements at the end, and answer the questions Moonlit_Angel did now......

I do not "disbelieve" in God.
I have "prayed" before, and I "talk" to god about things.
Perhaps to me, God is a more extended consciousness. Or conscience, extended conscience.
But I don't ask him "why are people suffering", or "why does my mom have fibromialgia and is in pain all the time", or "why can't I do anything, and why DON'T YOU do anything/????"

I'm not that way about "God".

personally, I'd say I have my own relgion/philosophy. I'm thinking about writing it all out some day......

Do the religious takes in U2's songs make you more of a fan or is it perhaps the other way around? Did U2 influence you into finidng your own faith?

Generally speaking, Bono + U2 make me respect Christianity, etc, a lot more. I generally find it interesting that the term "pagan" is used when some Christians talk about other religions, when they themselves talk about a certain "sacrifice" so much. Like they are so superior to other people...... that sort of thing disturbs me, and, quite honestly, repels me.

Drinking the body and blood of your god/savior?

Anyhow...... (oh, and one last thing - why is everyone so afraid to die?)

Moving on, U2 has captivated my not by their religion, but by how those 4 people use their religion. The sincerity behind it. It's not fabricated. And of course, Bono's humility

I must be
An acrobat
To talk like this
And act like that

That song made me really respect U2/Bono a lot more. Because that is something I can certainly relate to, and helped me understand their music a lot more.

I find it so intrigueing how so many people can have such a passion and such a strong faith while others like myself don't have it, don't see it, and don't feel the need for it.

I share that.... inrigue......

Basically what I'm asking is, why do you have faith, where does it come from and when did you know you had it?

My faith stems from my personality. My personality type, so to say, generally doesn't have religious faith. That's not how my psychological make up views the world. I look for reasons, connections, patterns, things like that.

SHould I ever come face to face with god, or what have you, I know what I'll say, and I know I will accept my consequences. If I didn't go to church enough, or pray enough, so I rot in hell, so be it. God can do what he does, and I'll do what I do, and we'll both see what happens. I don't blame god for anything, nor do I ask him for help. I sometimes will ask him to help others, or look out for other people, because I know that those are things I can't do. So I suppose that really is when I ask god to do things - when it comes to other people. I know and accept that others think of god differently, and I'm fine with that, as long as they don't try to put me into situations where I have to lie. I really don't like lieing.

When I go to church with my stepmother, I always feel odd, because, I love my stepmom, and I respect Christianity, but... I feel like I'm lieing sometimes when I sort of halfass the words to a hymn or what have you. So most of the time I don't say anything, or just interpret it to something that is productive, or in a positive way that i can use in my life.

I think all religions and non religious people can get along, just as long as they are respectful and keep an open mind. I get along withe people from all religions, and walks of life.

But back to going to church with my stepmother ---- I go mostly because I know it's something she always wanted. And she can't have kids, (cancer), so I'm as close as she'll get to haveing a son. But she essentially is a second mother to me. Since the divorce though.... it's been hard for her having to go to church alone - her dream was to always go to church with a big family. She's not mad at god for not having that, nor am I.

But I wonder sometimes, how god thinks of me?

A kid born out of wedlock, with a broken family, going to church with his stepmother, and not believing 100% in what everyone else in the room is praying/thinking/saying?

I suppose one, perhaps if I wanted to be defensive, response would be

"Hey god - you created this world, not me."

Because from where I stand, someone can preach all they want, but faith isn't somthing you can preach into someone. I don't even believ that you can simply decide to have faith. You either have it or you don't and neither is right or wrong. I'm conent without it. There is no void in my life

I wonder...... what kinds of people are more likely to have faith, and what kinds are not?

How much does environment, or family, or psych type have to do with faith?

That would be a good study to do

For a long time, I thought that religion and spirituality were the same thing. I have too many problems with orgainized religion to be apart of it. I would say with the influence of a theology teacher I had and U2's music, I consider myself spiritual. I realize I can have a relationship with God even if I do not belong to a religion.

I'm an athiest. I don't believe there is a god but I do consider myself to be a spiritual person. Doesn't make much sense. I consider myself to be a humanist.

I love the natural world, I can watch birds flying in a flock towards the south forever, sunsets, blue skies, squirrels climbing trees, all the regular things we see every day are fantastic. I get all warm and fuzzy when I see people helping others. We are all on this planet together and have to respect one another and work together to have to reach our potential as humans.

My mom was Salvation Army while my dad is a Buddhist. I went to a Catholic school as a child and transferred to a Pentecostal school at the age of 12. Upon being exposed to other religions, and experiencing the rigidity of organized religion and confusion of multiple religions claiming the one true god, along with the my own reasoning as to why people have gods, I came to the conclusion in my late teens/early 20's that there is no god.

I think religion is a major factor for the conflicts in the history of man. Such differences have led to many horrors along with rules and decrees which have destroyed and killed thousands of lives. I view miracles as simple statistics. If 1000 people are suffering from cancer, some will die, some will live and a tiny number will have a "miraculous recovery". I don't like watching people pray to god for material things like winning prizes, or games, if there is a god, I don't think he/she cares about who wins the Super Bowl. There is a place for religion in our world as it provides strength, hope, love, comfort, a sense of belonging and guidance for many during difficult times in life.

U2's music has some religious overtones which I do enjoy as they express hope and love. I don't follow their beliefs but definitely respect their right to put themes in the songs. Singing about love is not a bad thing.:wink:

U2 has not pushed me in any direction however I do find that the live concert experience seems to be similar to the rush that some claim to have "when being filled with god" or a physical experience to that affect. But I feel that at many live concerts as I love live music. I don't appreciate religious practitioners coming around trying to convert me, that is the one thing I dislike about organized religions. I respect people's rights to believe whatever they want, do whatever they want, read whatever they want, view whatever they want, eat, smoke, drink whatever they want. But don't try to force me to do what you want.

LoveTown said:
I would definately say that I am spiritual. I believe in a higher power...and I do believe that everyday life is full of miracles. I haven't found a specific religion that suits me however. I guess organized religion puts me off. I'm some weird form of hybrid Christian I guess. I don't know what to call it, but I know I believe :)

This really sums up my feelings as well. Bono tends to describe himself as this kind of Christian, and it definitely pertains to me as well. Organized religion has had, over the course of history, many opportunities to be great and do marvelous things in God's name. It could have been used, as I believe God intended, to be used to unite the world and spread what I believe to be God's message of love. This hasn't happened, though. Instead, people have represented themselves, and God above all, in a tragic and extremely unfortunate manner, i.e. fighting wars, crusades, etc., all in the name of something that is supposed to be pure and good.

This is why I am really turned off by organized religion in general. It is controlled by man, and God's presence seems to exist outside of it. I am, however, a devout believer in God (And Jesus), and I follow this form of faith outside of the conventions of organized religion. God TO ME (I emphasize this as to not insult anyone who believes otherwise) is very real and present in this world and in my life in an abundant way. I am, as LoveTown suggested for them, a different kind of Christian. Certainly a believer, but not a fan of today's organized religion, which has promoted too many divisive, bigoted, and remarkably anti-Christian positions in it's history to have me on board. Where is that wonderful message of love, tolerance, and respect for our fellow man in the promotion of hatred, bigotry, homophobia, etc.? I just don't see it, and I think that the church is very hypocritical for this.

I truly believe that God is probably not a fan of this divisive attitude, either, from what I've read and understood over the years from my extensive study of scripture. Anyway, just my two cents. Interesting thread!

I'm spirtiual...but I don't believe in religion. I don't think I have to take part in religion to believe in God or Gods. I believe in things like reincarnation, spirits, respect for all living things and honesty.

I kinda make up my own "religion" in a way:wink:

agnostic

I rarely associate U2 with being "religious". There is an atheist in the band after all.
And I do like what the lyrics bring to the table, it has always seemed to me to be done in a 'searching' kind of way, not 'I know what it is, this is the truth' etc which would just make me want to throttle them.

And if nothing else, they got me through vacation bible school when I was a kid :up:
I could recite all kinds of bible verses thanks to them :wink:

trevster2k said:
I don't like watching people pray to god for material things like winning prizes, or games, if there is a god, I don't think he/she cares about who wins the Super Bowl. There is a place for religion in our world as it provides strength, hope, love, comfort, a sense of belonging and guidance for many during difficult times in life.

"hell yeah"

I can't stand it when people pray for small things, or winning prizes, like you say. SOmetimes I don't even like it when you pray for large things.... But as far as sports go, especially professional sports, where people earn salries, etc, I am against praying.

My favorite team has a prayer, but I like it, because it asks for an equal playing field, rather than "god's help to win":

Dear Lord in the battles as we go through life;
We ask for a field that's fair.
As chance that's equal to all in the strife;
The courage to do it or dare.
If we should win, let it be by the code;
With our faith and honor held high.
If we should lose, let us stand by the rules;
And cheer as the winners go by.
Day by day we get better and better;
A team that can't be beat, won't be beat.

Anyhow...

I've been around people who ask god to bless everything, so, perhaps I'm a little more biased about such things.

Because from where I stand, someone can preach all they want, but faith isn't somthing you can preach into someone. I don't even believ that you can simply decide to have faith. You either have it or you don't and neither is right or wrong. I'm conent without it. There is no void in my life which many people who have found faith claim they had before they found their faith; only they didn't realise it.

:up: I agree with that statement completely.

I grew up in the Bible Belt, so religion/church played a big part in my life. I was brought up in the Catholic Church until my parents got divorced when I was five. My dad didn't go to church (he was raised Methodist, I think), but when I was eight, he remarried and we started going to a Wesleyan Church. For a while (when I was about 12) we looked at different churches (including a charasmatic, speaking in tongues churches), but my family ended up going back to the Wesleyan while I went to a Southern Baptist church. At thirteen, I looked at Catholicism again and studied a lot and seriously thought about being a nun. The more I read, though, the more issues I had with certain things. When I was 14, I started going to a non-denominational Christian Church, and then when I was 15, I started going to a very strict, VERY conservative Reformed Baptist Church (where I was baptized). My senior year of high school, I decided I wasn't a Calvinist after all, so I became a Free Will Baptist. My third and final year of (baptist) college, I became Episcopalian. Now I don't really consider myself anything. I've studied a lot of different religions and denomination and tons of theology, philosophy, and church history. I used to always feel like I was missing something and really worry a lot about it (hence the switching of denominations so many times!), and never could find any religion I truly believed (though I was good at pretending). I would get really upset that I just couldn't believe no matter how hard I tried (I remember get so upset I would cry about it when I was as young as four). Now I'm agnostic, leaning towards atheist, and I'm much more content than I was when I was trying to find something to believe in. I'm not anti-religion; it's just not for me. :shrug:

Monotheistic/Christian. A belief in divinity and eternity gives me a sense of purpose and direction.

No matter what I input into Beliefnet, I always end up with "Liberal to Mainline Protestantism." So I guess that's my closest match to what I am, with Unitarian Universalism a close second.

Melon

I was some sort of Buddhism, I think. I don't remember if it was the more traditional, or the more modern, liberal kind........

anyhow

One thing I do believe in is Love. I know that is real, at least in my world, in my life. I don't associate love with god, or vice versa. But love is real to me, and I say that with the utmost certainty....

Curious...
Was anyone here a fan of the TV show, "Joan of Arcadia"??
I was a huge fan and I was so heartbroken when it was cancelled (Europe is getting it first run right now).

I love the way God was portrayed. And its weekly lessons and themes were very deep.
It was produced by Barbara Hall, a very talented and spiritual woman (and a practicing Catholic, as I) and I gained great respect for her talent, spirituality and sense of humor.

Anyone? anyone??
Does the term, "Little Girl God" mean anything to anyone out there?
(btw, each week they used wwwwwwwonderful music to add to the plot's theme, and of course, U2's "Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own" was used.)

don't have a lot of time to write, though I feel like there's a lot to say on such an interesting topic, so I'll try to stick to answering Hallu's questions.

Am I spiritual? Sure. I guess I don't have a good definition of what makes someone "spiritual". I believe everyone has a spiritual part of their self, which is separate from the physical, so I guess that means I consider everyone to be spiritual.

Do I believe in God? Yes. I believe there is one entity who is the source of everything.

Do I have faith in any type of religion? I'd say no. My faith is in that entity who is the source of everything, not in religion.
On a side note related to this one, I think it's funny how Bono claims to not be into organized religion (or maybe he doesn't claim that and people have just put those words in his mouth), because I think it's a pile of malarky. What is "organized religion" but organizing people of similar beliefs toward a common goal? (i'm sincerely asking. that's just the definition that popped out of my head right now). If that's what it is, Bono is DEEP in organized religion. He's always trying to get Christians to act like Christ and care for the poor.
And I applaud him for it. That religious fanatic.:wink:

Do religious (spiritual?) takes in u2's songs make me more of a fan? Yeah. Probably.

Why do I have faith? I think Hallu nailed it in the initial post. I decided quite a while back that I really need God. I guess even before that I believed there was a God, but I wouldn't call that faith.

Wow. I feel kinda dumb because I had forgotten that I posted this thread.:eyebrow: Awsome to see everyone put so much thought into the responses. Thanks. Especially those of you who took the time to answer each one of my questions literally. I didn't expect that. Thanks.

To answer your question trash con, I'm 27. I appreacite the way you said I could probably add the word "yet" to my comments about not having faith. Better yet you didn't imply which faith I am "yet" to find. It's better to hear that than have someone say it's obvious you are missing somthing in your life and here's what it is. I have no problem with the fact that I may find some faith in something, someday. I just don't like it when people say I need it and they know the answer.

I used to have a friend who was a really good freind. We were basically best friends, inseperateable. One day he went to Mexico on a mission trip with his parents who were extremely religious. He wasn't religious at the time. He was also single I might add. When he got back a month later he was now an over the top devoted Christian and believe it or not engage to a girl he had only just met on the mission. 3 Months later he was married and I was not involved in the wedding in any way shape or form other than a guest. Guys I had never met stood up for him. It's now been 6 years since the Mission trip he went on and we no longer speak unless we happen to run into each other by fluke. Obviously people grow apart but for whatever reason we grew apart almost instantly for no other reason than he became a Christian and I was basically instantly not an appropriate person to hang out with. I tried to remain freinds but it would always come down to him and his family overly promoting ther beliefs on me to the point where I realised they felt me to be a lesser person because of my differing beliefs. How screwed up is that? It's the hypocrisy like that which runs so deep in organized religions. I mean if finding faith and living a life of God means to disconnect with true friends who were freinds by choice not by association than I would want no part of it. I actually ran into his Mother in the grocery store the other day. No word of a lie the conversation went like this

Hallucination: He Sheryl how are you?
Sheryl: Hi Hallucination, I haven't seen you in ages
Hallucination: Yeah I know.
Sheryl: So how are you? You married yet?
Hallucination: *laughs* Married? No not yet.
Sheryl: Any potential for marriage?
Hallucination: Nope
Sheryl: Oh that's o.k., you just need to pray to God and you'll find her soon. Pray to God and things will get better.

What? Was she serious. I promptley ended that conversation and went about my grocery shopping. Not even 30 seconds inot it and it had become a preach fest for her to say my life isn't complete without God and even a wife. Unreal

I think that's what makes it so hard for people to have faith in "God". It's the outright hypocrisy and judgment and the looking down on others by many of those who claim to be otherwise. I mean Church is supposed to be a place of acceptance not judgment. I went with a friend(different friend) of mine to Church once. He had asked me in a good way if I'd like to come and check it out. I thought sure, I'll go. It was a spur of the moment thing(evening mass) and I was dressed in jeans and a Guns N' Roses shirt. Not a vulger one or anything but just an old one with the bullet logo on it. I had so many nasty looks and one old lady said it was a disgrace that I wore it. Well thanks everyone I'll be sure to show up on Sunday....or NOT!

For myself persoanlly I think I lean towards there being somthing out there bigger than us. What it is I'm not sure. I'm not sure I buy into the whole "The Bible says" attitude, yet I know there are alot of good messages to be taken from the Bible. trevster2k mentioned he doesn't belive in God yet he's spiritual. He then added that it doesn't make sense. I think it does. I mean watching wildlife and being one with nature seems pretty spiritual to me. Walking the beach at sunset or cross country sking through the bush in winter or simply stopping to listen to the sounds or smell the air and really appreaciating things like that can be spiritual can't they?

Last edited:
I am a conflicted person by nature. At least it helps me write songs. Maybe that it it's purpose. Difficult, big questions.

I'd like to know how people strengthen their faith short of an obvious miracle happening to them, or witnessing one.

I have prayed about things and felt better, but am I placating my ego? Some would say yes, I used to not think so with conviction.

Organized religion is a scam, IMO those who participate are not willing participants to the scam, I don't think in most cases I just have to think some of them are blind followers and others must haev been touched by something deeper.

I have faith, it's just not as strong as I would like or as it used to be. Too many massive holes. I firmly beleive in God, a higher power etc. I beleive that Jesus was real, but I struggle with the idea that billions who are only raised to beleive a certain way will not meet the "kingdom": because of how their parents taught them. It's this sort of disconnection that is troubling.

If I had blind faith I'd probably be a better person. At least that's what my guilty conscience leads me to believe.

I remember a talk with my dad when I was 12 or 13, I was a Christian in the literal sense, beleived the whole religious line of thinking and he asked me if I truly thought that a billion Chinese folks were going to burn in hell for only following traditions of their parents, the same thing we do in Western countries. It's just a silly idea.

I beleive religion is a crutch, but faith is not. Faith to me is important. The problem with me is I was raised half-fundamental Christian (mother), half-agnostic (father) and in my journey as a human being, after 30 years I still have many more unanswered questions that form faith.

Absolutely spiritual, just a skeptic of all that is the coroporation of religion, all faiths. Faith in something bigger than yourself might be a defensive psychological reaction or it might be something very real. How do you know the real difference without just blindly believing what has been taught for centuries?

I'd love advice from anyone. Quoting scriptures at this point is not a great help. Part of my problems lies in the nature of the way that book was written. I don't believe that it is infallable. It may have been at one time, long ago, but not anymore.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Religious? Spiritual? God? Athiest? WHY?

Oh wow I love this topic! Haha...let's see...(sorry if the quotes turned out wrong)

I believe in God.
I pray often, not really in front of other people because I'm shy but I do sometimes.

For Honor said:

Perhaps to me, God is a more extended consciousness. Or conscience, extended conscience.

Interesting...I never thought of God that way...

For Honor said:
personally, I'd say I have my own relgion/philosophy. I'm thinking about writing it all out some day......
[/B]

I'd read that if you posted it.

For Honor said:
Generally speaking, Bono + U2 make me respect Christianity, etc, a lot more.
[/B]

Same here.

For Honor said:
Moving on, U2 has captivated my not by their religion, but by how those 4 people use their religion. The sincerity behind it. It's not fabricated. And of course, Bono's humility

I must be
An acrobat
To talk like this
And act like that

That song made me really respect U2/Bono a lot more. Because that is something I can certainly relate to, and helped me understand their music a lot more.
[/B]

Great minds think alike.

For Honor said:
I think all religions and non religious people can get along, just as long as they are respectful and keep an open mind. I get along withe people from all religions, and walks of life.
[/B]

Aw...

For Honor said:
"Hey god - you created this world, not me."
[/B]

Hehe..:wink:

I guess for me I'm still trying to figure everything out. I've tried different religions/denominations and I have my own take on things. Like Bono said (however I may say this wrong) religion gets in the way of God. I don't think it really matters what you denomination or whatever you are as long as you love God and have a relationship with him. But that's just me....

Sparkysgrrrl said:

I rarely associate U2 with being "religious". There is an atheist in the band after all.

Hey I heard Adam converted...it's in the revised version of Walk On (the book) isn't it?

This is a great thread Hal!!:up: For Honor you words are just a inspiring as U2 lyrics:up: I can honestly say what has drawn me to U2 mostly (besides the fact that there music is awesome!) I totally agree with there religious and political veiws. I grew up as a Christian and I studied many different religions in collage and I do believe that there is a higher power. All religions believe that.I feel that there is a creator of the sun, earth, people , animals,etc. I veiw religion as a way to keep us as humans moral and consciences. To tell a man "if you cheat and steal you will go to hell" would be a way to inforce morals on a society. However , I do believe that we were created in the image of GOD (an intelligent ,yet very emotional being)not evovled* from simple minded primates.

Back
Top Bottom