Religious sounding songs, for non religious people... - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2005, 09:11 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I didn't think that Conservative Christians were the entire scope of Christians.
I actually think that they're virtual opposites, but thats another thread....

Old 05-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:19 AM
Quote:

I didn't think that Conservative Christians were the entire scope of Christians. Perhaps this person just had/has issues with one segment of the religion.
I didn't say they were. You are reading something between the lines that just wasn't there.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:08 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

I actually think that they're virtual opposites, but thats another thread....
I've never insulted liberal Christians, but you just had to throw that in. But I don't mind; you are helping to prove my point.

But since you said it, go ahead and tell me; what makes you think that conservtive Christians are the "opposite" of Christians? This should be very interesting.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:18 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

No, that's not right. If God exists, you don't need him because he "works for me". You need him because he is God.
Okay, I kinda agree with you here. Its still not applicable to me but I can see how this can have meaning to you.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:46 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:19 AM
Quote:

I didn't say they were. You are reading something between the lines that just wasn't there.
I guess I'm allowed since you do it also, right?

Actually in many of your posts within this very thread you make comments about what Christians say or believe -- meaning, or at least seeming to mean, that you believe you are speaking for all Christians. So what you posted earlier in this thread coloured (for me at least) the post of your's that I commented on. And yeah I do believe you think you speak for all "true" Christians sometimes.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:29 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:19 AM
i thought you said you gave up the god shaped hole for the time being

Quote:

But since you said it, go ahead and tell me; what makes you think that conservtive Christians are the "opposite" of Christians? This should be very interesting.
They do the opposite of what Jesus of Nazareth did

They are more the equivalent of The Church that Jesus had little use for

The self-righteous stone throwers, they were so religious that they had no time for true charity and compassion.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I guess I'm allowed since you do it also, right?
What's with the vague alluding? To what are you referring?

Quote:

Actually in many of your posts within this very thread you make comments about what Christians say or believe -- meaning, or at least seeming to mean, that you believe you are speaking for all Christians. So what you posted earlier in this thread coloured (for me at least) the post of your's that I commented on. And yeah I do believe you think you speak for all "true" Christians sometimes.
I'm not gonna be politically correct and say "well I believe that everyone needs God, but I don't speak for all Christians" because that statment just wouldn't be true. All Christians believe that everyone needs God. There are no ifs, ands and buts about it. A Christian is someone who believes in and follows Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, right? And if you believe in Christ, you believe that what he says is true. Christ himself said that:

(1) He and the Father are one and the same.
(2) He is the only way to God
(3) He is the only way to eternal life

Therefore, according to Christ, everyone needs him (Christ the Son/God).
Old 05-15-2005, 11:32 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: i thought you said you gave up the god shaped hole for the time being

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

They do the opposite of what Jesus of Nazareth did
Everyone who has sinned even once does the opposite of what Jesus did.

Beyond that, most of the conservative Christians I know jsut want to do what's right, led by the spirit of Christ within them.

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
They are more the equivalent of The Church that Jesus had little use for

The self-righteous stone throwers, they were so religious that they had no time for true charity and compassion.
Really? You know that about conservative Christians? Or do you know that just about the loud and proud who make the news?

You are making a rash generalization. Stereotypes aren't good; you know that.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:04 AM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:19 AM
Quote:

What's with the vague alluding? To what are you referring?

I'm not gonna be politically correct and say "well I believe that everyone needs God, but I don't speak for all Christians" because that statment just wouldn't be true. All Christians believe that everyone needs God. There are no ifs, ands and buts about it. A Christian is someone who believes in and follows Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, right? And if you believe in Christ, you believe that what he says is true. Christ himself said that:

(1) He and the Father are one and the same.
(2) He is the only way to God
(3) He is the only way to eternal life

Therefore, according to Christ, everyone needs him (Christ the Son/God).
sigh. we just don't agree on anything. let's just agree to ignore each other.

i imagine i'm just a heathen to you, and i know you are a blowhard to me, so it's just so much better to realise that what you believe and what i believe are never going to mesh at all. your god will never be my god -- even if i decide i need a god, it won't be the one you worship. i also realise that you will never be capable of seeing things from my view either.

but quite frankly, from what you post, you are the type of christian that makes me want to puke. you are entirely too sure you are absolutely correct.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:06 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:

I've never insulted liberal Christians, but you just had to throw that in. But I don't mind; you are helping to prove my point.

I'm not going to get drawn on the 'Conservative Christian' thing because I'd bet you and I would have very different definitions of what that is.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:17 AM   #71
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 07:19 PM
BUUlket teh bULE SKI!~!!!!!!
1e watfhd
DXf'
z
Old 05-16-2005, 12:17 AM   #72
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 07:19 PM
I just put El Salvador through my keyboard.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

sigh. we just don't agree on anything. let's just agree to ignore each other.

i imagine i'm just a heathen to you, and i know you are a blowhard to me, so it's just so much better to realise that what you believe and what i believe are never going to mesh at all. your god will never be my god -- even if i decide i need a god, it won't be the one you worship. i also realise that you will never be capable of seeing things from my view either.

but quite frankly, from what you post, you are the type of christian that makes me want to puke. you are entirely too sure you are absolutely correct.
Yes, absolutely, in my heart, I'm as sure as a man can be that my religious beliefs are correct. Why would anyone invest their entire life in something he's not sure about in his heart?

Why does it bother you that someone is sure about his beliefs? If I was sure there was no God, I'd bet that wouldn't bother you in the least.

Can you address my point instead of insulting me? Do you treat all people with whom you disagree with that level of contempt or just Christians who are "sure of the beliefs"?
Old 05-16-2005, 09:40 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

I'm not going to get drawn on the 'Conservative Christian' thing because I'd bet you and I would have very different definitions of what that is.
Probably so. My definition is a purely theological definition and has nothing to do with politics.

But from now on, please don't do "hit and runs" like this, throwing out one-liner insults and accusations and then refusing to back them up with an explanation.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:42 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero
I just put El Salvador through my keyboard.
That was pretty good.