Religious Savages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
It has recently come to my attention that my jabs at relgion have lacked balance, in the interest of neutrality I demand that the following assertions are verified about the Christian faith.

Prove me wrong and disprove these assertions or give them context;

You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Any city that doesn't "receive" the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. Mark 6:11

Jude reminds us that God destroys those who don't believe in him. Jude 5

Don�t associate with non-Christians. Don't receive them into your house or even exchange greeting with them. 2 John 10

Shun those who disagree with your religious views. Romans 16:17

Paul, knowing that their faith would crumble if subjected to free and critical inquiry, tells his followers to avoid philosophy. Colossians 2:8

Last edited:
An interesting post, and I anticipate any discussion that follows. For now I won't contribute anything substantial, as such, just a note of what many may indicate towards to later; a lot of it is down to interpretation, especially in keeping with the margin of appreciation afforded to a modern day society, and the prejeduices inherent within such a society.

I am interested in seeing how some members of the Christian faith can acquire a general interpetation of the Bible regarding some topics; how does one go about deciding which is an out-dated assertion and which is one is still pertinent?

Interpetation, you may find, is in the eye of the beholder.

Ant.

hmmm before I reply to any of your questions I need to know if you are really interested in finding out the answers and actually accepting that the possibility that God exists, with an open mind..

because there is no point in me explaining anything to you if you have made up your mind it is all screwy, then nothing I say will convince you otherwise and I am wasting my time.. which is why I am reluctant to say anything at the moment...

This is not a matter of faith, it is one of explaining the meaning of those passages, these particular pieces are in my opinion highly selective and are not interpreted as such but it would be interesting to find out how Christians may view them. The reason I am doing this is actually one of mutual benefit, by seeing how specific aspects of your own religion can be attacked you may gain a better understanding of those oft quoted pieces on Islam. It could also be interesting because of the debate over the bible being God's will, if some pieces of scripture are to be disregarded or put in "proper context" then why not others?

My own opinion is not matched by these interpretations, I saw them on a message board and I looked up the actual bits, they made a loose sense as most things do without looking at the big picture. I am not a bitter ex-Christian or anything like that, practice your faith however you see fit; there is no antagonism whatsoever.

Last edited:
These are not direct quotations mind you, they are what one might call interpretations of those particular bits.

A_Wanderer said:

Any city that doesn't "receive" the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. Mark 6:11

Not sure where you got your interpretations from but here's Mark 6:11 - 11"And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them."

Doesn't sound like anyone's getting destroyed here.:huh:

well it is interesting, and something I have studied and investaged when you go into the roots of most religions and where they stemmed and grew from, You will find many of the beliefs actually go back to babylon, including those in the days of the Isrealites, so If he was the true God and chose them for his people, and give them laws and commandments to follow, what would be the point if they were going to worship other Gods and other beliefs that contradicts everything he says?

many today even in the christian faith have adapted babylonian beliefs and doctrines into their own bible interpretation.. which is why there are so many things as Hellfire the soul living on after death as some sort of invisible spirit that floats around here on earth or is up in heaven or burning in hell or in some purgetory, the trinity many of the traditions in the christian holidays as Easter and Christmas..

these all stem from Babylonian myth and false worship not the bible and what God teaches

so when people mix what the bible says with other bellefs and accept it.. you get a lot of confusion which is really evident today

And God doesn't want confusion he wants people to understand who he is what he he has done.. what he is going to do, and for people to have a close personal relationship with him.

The danger of false religion is serious because quite frankly it dilutes and hides the truth about who God is and what kind of person he is, and can put more people of worshipping him or having a good relationship with him I have seen this here on this forum many people questioning their faith because of certain things that have happened and they don't understand why ..

So it is not really surprising it is something he feels strongly about... how would you feel if people were telling lies and making up stories about you that were not true....

When you take out all the false religious beliefs and mens own ideas and philosphies and traditions, Gods message becomes clear, all the answers you need are figured out..

why we are here,? why we die?
and get old is there a hope for the future?
why does God permit suffering?

these are answers people want and they are hindered finding them through all the false religion, which why God views it so serious...

He does not want us wasting our time worshipping him in a way that is useless and pointless and unacceptable.. he wants us to have a meaningful relationship that benefits us and that can bring us happiness and he wants us to find it now just as much as he wanted the Isrealites back then to have it

A_Wanderer said:
Prove me wrong and disprove these assertions or give them context;

Context. The Deuteronomy passages were given to the Israelites when moving into the land God promised them. God knew that the Israelites would fall away in their faith if they lived in areas where they could be influenced by these other beliefs. The Israelites did not follow these commands fully, started following other belief systems, and eventually became corrupt in God's eyes - so much so that other countries took them away as captives.

There is nothing to suggest that people live by these words in the way you suggest today.

As for the NT passages you quote, I will address 2 John passage. This is meant to be a balance with 3 John (which calls for hospitality). A Christian should open their home to others, but must show discernment to not help those who are destructive to the Church.

"What BonoVoxSupastar and nbcrusader said."

~Macfistowannabe.

I agree with Macfistowannabe.

Scripture taken out of context cannot be interpreted correctly.

And, as a believer in that rebel from Nazareth, I believe that Christ is the starting point for interpreting/understanding other scriptures.

A_Wanderer: Are these your interpretations, or someone else's? Do you have any idea what these verses relate to?

Wanderer, provocative as ever.

Looks to me as if Wanderer is making the point that you can take the writings of any religion out of context. And Macfistowannabe,
Wanderer is deliberately not putting the quotes in context--the same way we take writings of Islam out of context and make
Muslims defend them. He's turning it around.

Fair strategy.

I suppose it makes sense. If I were to bring the Koran into FYM, I would have to be able to answer to what the verses deal with.

Back
Top Bottom