Religious Fanatics and those who oppose them running our country PLEASE POST HERE - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 07:31 PM
Religious Fanatics and those who oppose them running our country PLEASE POST HERE

Taking the advice of one of the moderators who closed a few threads and told us to create a new one, I have created....a new one.

(a) there's no denying that religion played a huge role in this election. More than any other I can think of. There's also no denying that religion has played a huge role in the war against terrorism and the war in Iraq

(b) Bush attracted voters because of this, and MOST of them are from the south. Now without calling them "hicks" (which they may be...or maybe not) regardless, they are basing their votes on religious values, ones that Bush has used time and time again to run this country and to implement his policies.

(c) I think this is wrong. Because it violates separation of church and state. This is essential to a democracy. A religion based country is NOT a democracy, but rather a theocracy. I fear this country's shift to the extreme right is falling into this category.

(d) that being said, I think these religious values and morals contradict the way this country is being run, and will unfortunately be run in the next 4 years. I ask you this in your deepest of hearts: would God or Jesus "ban" gays from marriage, would God or Jesus start a war, Would God or Jesus have the highest death penalty numbers of any state (Texas). Hmmmm....

Old 11-03-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:31 AM
*cough* It wasn't Bush who was campaigning in Churches.

P.S. If you voted for Bush you are an ignorant backwards foolish voter who doesn't want what "the world" wants for you - I know this because all those elitist pricks bemoaning the death of democracy at DailyKos and DU tell me so.

P.P.S. Blame The Christians

Old 11-03-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:31 PM
I think someone mentioned we're more like Saudi Arabia...and thought it was a compliment.

Everything we're fighting and trying to free other countries from is what we're moving closer to. But some will never see that. They fear so much that they can't control their own or their child's salvation so they need the government to help them along.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:31 PM
hrmm
Im a christian
I voted for kerry
Old 11-03-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Sorry, but not supporting gay marriage or abortion are not exactly "fanatical". Some of the posts containing blanket statements against Republicans are so absurd, they're laughable!!! You honestly think Dubya is "extreme" right?
Old 11-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Extreme religious fanatacism is impaling homosexuals with red hot pokers - not banning gay marriage.

It is Stoning women to death for adultery instead of allowing them to do as they wish.

It is attempting to exterminate other people because of their religous beliefs.

If is having your government authority become divine thus justifiying any and all of its actions.

There are enough moderate republicans to keep the system working - it is not a monolithic group of theocrats.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:41 PM   #7
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

P.P.S. Blame The Christians
Being Catholic, queasy about Bush, and for gay marriage, I take offense to that. You need to rethink your generalizations.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:41 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Extreme religious fanatacism is impaling homosexuals with red hot pokers - not banning gay marriage.
Exactly. A lot of the posts here are painting your average Republican as some racists KKK person or something like that. and the Republicans are the ones that are supposedly living in fear?
Old 11-03-2004, 01:43 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Don't worry pianorocker, I am a libertarian atheist, I don't care what you worship as long as it doesn't hurt anybody and that bit was sarcasm.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:45 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pianorocker

Being Catholic, queasy about Bush, and for gay marriage, I take offense to that. You need to rethink your generalizations.
No worries, I think he was being sarcastic.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:47 PM   #11
The Fly

Local Time: 01:31 PM
I agree with the majority of what you are saying but take exception to your "hicks in the south" statement. The traditional south, excluding FLA, is only responsible for 79 electoral votes. What about the other 204, or whatever the number is going to end up being? This was a bigger than expected victory, and it shows that there are problems with our side, and they are not all in the south. If you are trying to place the blame on them, I think you are wrong.

What about the hicks in Colorado?
Old 11-03-2004, 01:47 PM   #12
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

No worries, I think he was being sarcastic.
probably. It just touched a nerve. Today's not been the greatest of days for many reasons.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:51 PM   #13
The Fly

Local Time: 07:31 PM
The notion of "sides" bothers me and is a continuing problem for the US.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:51 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:31 AM
Re: Religious Fanatics and those who oppose them running our country PLEASE POST HERE

Quote:
Originally posted by tackleberry
(a) there's no denying that religion played a huge role in this election. More than any other I can think of. There's also no denying that religion has played a huge role in the war against terrorism and the war in Iraq

(b) Bush attracted voters because of this, and MOST of them are from the south. Now without calling them "hicks" (which they may be...or maybe not) regardless, they are basing their votes on religious values, ones that Bush has used time and time again to run this country and to implement his policies.

(c) I think this is wrong. Because it violates separation of church and state. This is essential to a democracy. A religion based country is NOT a democracy, but rather a theocracy. I fear this country's shift to the extreme right is falling into this category.

(d) that being said, I think these religious values and morals contradict the way this country is being run, and will unfortunately be run in the next 4 years. I ask you this in your deepest of hearts: would God or Jesus "ban" gays from marriage, would God or Jesus start a war, Would God or Jesus have the highest death penalty numbers of any state (Texas). Hmmmm....
Tackleberry, I would have to say there are some fundamental flaws in your analysis here.

1. The war on terror is not a war on religion or a war driven by religion. GWB has repeatedly made that clear to avoid confusion on the issue.

2. Most voters base their decision on their own moral compass. In essence, you are saying this is wrong if they use the Bible for their own moral compass.

3. If I vote for someone because I feel that their values most closely match my own and the Bible guides my values; how in the world is that a theocracy?

4. If we are going to define "what God or Jesus would do" we must use the Bible. People can come to different conclusions on what "God would do" (to the extent that is even possible).

If you think that GWB is establishing a theocracy, I would be interested to see what laws you would point to as evidence of this theocracy.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:52 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

It is Stoning women to death for adultery instead of allowing them to do as they wish.

It is attempting to exterminate other people because of their religous beliefs.

If is having your government authority become divine thus justifiying any and all of its actions.

There are enough moderate republicans to keep the system working - it is not a monolithic group of theocrats.

that's not extreme religious fantacism, that's murder.

as for the moderate republicans ... you've been had by your own party. you thought McCain, Guiliani, and the ever more impressive Schwarzenagger were the heart and soul. nope. it's the party of Santorum, Ashcroft, and Delay.

and you fell for it! you helped him appear moderate at the convention. y'all got served!

if ya'll are smart and not as monolithic as you think (and i know some very smart, sane moderate republicans ... libertarians, more like), you'll start some sort of coup and save your party from these fanatics.

and, yes, they are fanatics. not murderers, but fanatics.