Religious Extremism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:
You're right, 80s, wanting to convert someone isn't anti-anything. Conversion is a delicate topic. I should know, I'm a convert to Catholicism. The thing is, that person has to *want* to convert. If they don't want to convert, then they're not going to. Conversion is by choice, not coercion. I think it's the whole coercion thing that makes people upset about it. It has to be by choice.

Conversely, conversion is never sponteneous. It comes from learning.

As I've heard, a Christian should witness at every available opportunity, and, only in those rare moments when appropriate, use words.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I guess this depends on how the conversion is handled. If an individual comes to you, then I wouldn't see the conversion as being anti-anything. But if you approach them based on the fact that you know they are Jewish, Muslim, etc. than what you are saying is "my way is right and I oppose your way of thinking" then I would say that is being anti-semitic, etc.

Then I'm curious how you would explain the fact that Jesus himself, who was a Jew, told his disciples to go forth and make disciples of all nations. He's not telling them to sit around and wait for people to come to them. He was telling them to go out and evengelize.

I'm sorry, but there's something wrong in life if it's looked down upon to share your faith with someone.

nbcrusader said:

Conversely, conversion is never sponteneous. It comes from learning.

Maybe the "looking into" part is a process, but when I decided to become a Christian, that was it. I immediately became a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17), and I was crucified with Christ and the Holy Spirit moved in. I was converted, reborn, regenerated that very moment. Out with the old, in with the new.

80sU2isBest said:
Maybe the "looking into" part is a process, but when I decided to become a Christian, that was it. I immediately became a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17), and I was crucified with Christ and the Holy Spirit moved in. I was converted, reborn, regenerated that very moment. Out with the old, in with the new.

Spiritually - absolutely.

The "looking into" part involves someone else telling you about Christ. Some view this as "cramming down the throat".

Then I'm curious how you would explain the fact that Jesus himself, who was a Jew, told his disciples to go forth and make disciples of all nations. He's not telling them to sit around and wait for people to come to them. He was telling them to go out and evengelize.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Jesus ever approaching someone on a street to tell them they are a sinner and on the fast track to hell unless they convert to his ways. Jesus led by example and people asked him for help and salvation.

I'm sorry, but there's something wrong in life if it's looked down upon to share your faith with someone.

I never said that. In fact you are right. But there is something incredible wrong in seeking out those you think are sinners and then telling them they need to change their ways. You cast judgement and then you force feed something they don't want to hear. Not only is it wrong but ineffective.

Sparkysgrrrl said:
The extremists in America have more money than those who oppose them, therefore it's easier for them to get away with what they do/say.
Money yells, not just talks.

Exactly.

Originally posted by Sparkysgrrrl
I have no freaking idea why something hasn't been done to stop the Army of God for example.

That group sounds very, very frightening.

And I'm with melon on this thing as well.

Originally posted by Popmartijn
Wasn't Timothy McVeigh a US citizen? Although he wasn't a religious extremist, he did have extremist political ideas (AFAIK).

Exactly.

And then there's the KKK...I'd consider them extremists, wouldn't you, wolfwill? They've hurt and killed people.

And then that Army of God that Sparkysgrrrl mentioned-they blow up abortion clinics.

Verte, I agree with you, extremists scare me, too.

As for the whole conversion thing, BonoVoxSuperstar and verte are right-the person has to want to be converted, and you shouldn't use your conversion as a way to make someone follow your religion because you think their religion they have now is the "wrong" one.

I have no problem with people expressing their religious views, I just cannot stand it when those views are forced on other people.

Angela

80sU2isBest said:

I don't have a complaint with missionary activity per se. The patron saint of my parish, St. Francis Xavier, was a missionary. What bothers me about some of these people is that they've said things like "Islam is evil". I don't believe this. It makes it look like they want to convert out of lack of respect for the Moslems. They should show more respect for the people who don't wish to convert. As the Pope has said the Moslems are our brothers and sisters in the faith of Abraham.

Back
Top Bottom