religious conversions - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2002, 02:07 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:20 PM
religious conversions

What are your views of conversion or evangelism- trying to convert to their religion.

Also views of husband converting their wives to their religion or vice versa ?

AcroMan

Old 08-24-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:20 PM
i've always been a bit leery of evangelism on a mass level (read: televangelism). missionary work and the like is also a little sketchy with me. i associate missionary work with what was done to the native americans here, to the natives in mexico and south america, and in africa. it always seemed like they were abusing Jesus and His word to get into their land and subsequently take the resources. televangelism works sort of in the same manner. it's shaming really that people will pay and pay and pay for things like "specially blessed prayer cloths." when Jesus is right there behind them. spreading the word of the gospel and taking advantage of people witht he gospel as your vehicle are two very, very separate things.

as for conversions for marriage...i've seen some very successful conversions made for marriage. i guess it's up to the individual. i could say that i would "convert" to a different form of Christianity, but not to other religions that just don't believe in Jesus. but, again, if they want to, there's nothing stopping them.

Old 08-24-2002, 04:08 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Re: religious conversions

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
What are your views of conversion or evangelism- trying to convert to their religion.

Um...be nice, don't lie and don't say anything you don't believe? I'm not sure what else to say.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly
missionary work and the like is also a little sketchy with me. i associate missionary work with what was done to the native americans here, to the natives in mexico and south america, and in africa. it always seemed like they were abusing Jesus and His word to get into their land and subsequently take the resources.
I don't know about comparing missionairies today to the conquistadores of old...
Old 08-24-2002, 04:26 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It seems that todays rules are that it is not cool to spread the gospel of Jesus, but it is okay to encourage people to convert to other religions. In some nations it is illegal to tell people why you believe in Jesus, even if they ask you.

If you do something to help the poor, don't do it via a church-related organization; instead, do it through some political group or a completely secular group, and you will be politically correct. Some people are even opposed to Habitat for Humanity because Jimmy Carter personally considers it a faith work.

~U2Alabama
Old 08-24-2002, 04:53 PM   #5
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
If you do something to help the poor, don't do it via a church-related organization; instead, do it through some political group or a completely secular group, and you will be politically correct.
Isn't that a little unfair, Bama? Almost any kind of community service I've ever done has either been through my church or through my college (which is a Catholic school), and even among my most liberal friends it's never been greeted by so much as an eyebrow raise. Even us evil liberals know that faith-based organizations (to use a Dubya term) can do a lot of good.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:55 PM   #6
Refugee

More often than not, I am quite cynical of conversions.

I was raised in the Middle East, and it is certainly true of Kuwaiti and Saudi Arabian television that one of the very few programmes they indeed have in their 'English-speaking' channels, is a program that presents American and British women going on about how they were introduced to the glory of Allah and Islam, usually by their husbands. They talk about their experiences, their so-called epiphanies, and then go on to talk about why Allah is so much better than the God of the Catholic or Protestant or whatever denomination.

I must admit, I have always found this rather offensive, and grew to be quite cynical of people 'converting'. It has always been a concept I don't adhere to. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people who change their ideas and perceptions about God, and their faith. And of course it is perfectly within their rights to choose a new religion out of their own free will. However, I have never seen the point of scrapping one religion for another.

The religion one is accostumed to is inherently the one they know best, if they should rebel against it, fair enough, but to scrap it and choose another one simply because it sounds better is a concept too strange for me. When I am asked of my religion, I reply curtly "I was raised as a Catholic, but I consider myself free of religion". I don't go on to say that Islam is better than Catholicism, or that Buddhism is better than Judaism. More often than not, in regard to the cases I mentioned to you, these women were FORCED to convert, it had nothing to do with them finding Allah a more merciful concept than the God of Abraham.

Parents with different religions or denominations should agree on what religion they will raise their children; like my father agreed to raise us Catholics, even though he is an athiest. No party should be forced to concede to the other religion, it should be an agreement made on the concept of mutual love and respect. Such conditions were not applied to these ladies I saw on the Islamic channels.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 08-24-2002, 05:20 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
agreement made on the concept of mutual love and respect.
The concept of "agreement" in "mutual love and respect" is rather new to me. I dont believe that anyone who loves would ever have his wife ( or her ) husband converted to his ( or hers ) religion. People has done lots of things for love and religious conversion is no big deal anyway . But love is rather strange word and people have all right to interpret in his or her way.

Regarding normal regilious conversion, I am not against conversion by anyone who makes that decision without any external influence.

But things starts getting confusion when "so called" social workers convert people by luring them , repeated trying to
tell them tales about how this God this and why ? If you are trying to help someone, dont bring the teachings in that. Simple as that. No force used but .. I think its wrong.. but

I just dont understand what kind of joy these people get when people convert to their religion. But its their life and if they are happy that way , let it be.

AcroMan
Old 08-24-2002, 05:28 PM   #8
Refugee

AcrobatMan, though I do see and appreciate your point, everything we do is because of external influence, indirect or otherwise.

The very action of converting to another religion requires 'some' influence, by nature.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 08-24-2002, 05:53 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Isn't that a little unfair, Bama? Almost any kind of community service I've ever done has either been through my church or through my college (which is a Catholic school), and even among my most liberal friends it's never been greeted by so much as an eyebrow raise. Even us evil liberals know that faith-based organizations (to use a Dubya term) can do a lot of good.
The difference between Catholic organizations and some other Christian organizations has been the "conversion" factor. Catholic organizations don't actively try and convert those they help--it is pretty much fully secular in activity--and that's why many Catholic organizations were given public money even before Bush's "faith-based initiatives." My fear with the "faith-based initiatives" is that public funds will just be going to organizations whose service is only secondary to their primary goal: conversion. I certainly don't want my tax dollars indirectly going to pad Jerry Falwell's ministry of deception.

Melon
Old 08-24-2002, 06:00 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Isn't that a little unfair, Bama? Almost any kind of community service I've ever done has either been through my church or through my college (which is a Catholic school), and even among my most liberal friends it's never been greeted by so much as an eyebrow raise.
I do think it is unfair, but it is the truth, at least based on what I have heard in my life from people who are hostile religion, especially people who are hostile to mainline Protestant Christianity.

~U2Alabama
Old 08-24-2002, 06:23 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Re: religious conversions

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
I don't know about comparing missionairies today to the conquistadores of old...
my apologies for being unclear. my point was not to compare them, but just to say that i am a bit untrustworthy of the mass level evangelists. and i wouldn't just say conquistadores, because as much as spain had done it, englad matched, and continued to abuse it for a much longer period of time.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:13 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

The difference between Catholic organizations and some other Christian organizations has been the "conversion" factor. Catholic organizations don't actively try and convert those they help--it is pretty much fully secular in activity--and that's why many Catholic organizations were given public money even before Bush's "faith-based initiatives." My fear with the "faith-based initiatives" is that public funds will just be going to organizations whose service is only secondary to their primary goal: conversion. I certainly don't want my tax dollars indirectly going to pad Jerry Falwell's ministry of deception.

Melon
Melon,

I can understand your objections to public funding of charity works related to religious organizations you disagree with, but are you really opposed to the whole concept of missionary charity work?

Jesus was certainly much more than a doctor and a caterer to large banquets.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:52 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Basically, I don't mind if you talk about your religion with someone who is not of that religion. If you share what your religion believes with someone, and they like what they hear and decide of their own free will to join your religion, that I don't have a problem with.

I just hate it when people force their beliefs on someone and are all like, "You have to believe this, my religion is the right religion and you have to follow it" or when someone from one religion condemns someone who is not of their religion to hell or whatever for not following their religion, or when people try to "save" non-believers or Pagans or Wiccans or Satanists or whatever. It's like, look, you've got your beliefs, great, good for you, and I've respected yours, so please respect mine in return.

So basically, I don't like it when people convert someone to their religion, 'cause they're forcing their beliefs on someone who may not want to be a part of that religion and share those beliefs, and they don't leave the person alone about it.

That's a reason I'm not much for organized religion in general. I don't like what it can do to some people, what it can turn some people into. That's not the case with everyone who's a part of organized religion, no. But with some people...

Angela
Old 09-02-2002, 01:42 AM   #14
Refugee

I don't listen to those proselytizing drones who honestly believe they on the path to glory. They used to annoy me, but I've learned to laugh.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:56 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

i have two sets of aunts and uncles that are missionaries in foreign countries.

one of them lives is ghana.

they live with the people, and suffer with them. i cant tell you how many times theyve all gotten malaria.

they work with the people, and they dont shove it down there throats. you might be surprised as to how thrilled many of those people are to hear what my aunt and uncle have to say.

if people wish to think my aunt and uncle are evil, then maybe those same people can go back to the gap, and buy a comfy new sweater before going to mcdonalds for a nice hamburger for all i care.

people are so concerned of not stepping on someone elses toes that you arent supposed to tell anyone what you believed, but yet those same people ARE telling everyone else what they can and cannot say.

its rather disturbing.

but yes, ofcourse, i AM very skeptical of televangelists and the what not, but i do know first hand my aunt and uncle are NOT harming anyone or using them or anything.

thank you.