Religion or Law? Which holds more authority to you? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2005, 03:42 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:16 PM
I didn't reply sooner 'cause I was thinking about this one, too. But upon reading this thread through, I'd have to say that BonosSaint's post is pretty spot on-that'd probably be what I'd say, too .

I hope more people do reply, too-maybe they're thinking of ways to explain it like some of us were .

Angela

Old 09-26-2005, 04:16 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:16 PM
law. but this is likely not particularly engaging for you as i could not, in any way, self-identify as a religious person. i do, however, consider myself to be moral and ethical and do not debate that those attributes are certainly educated by the society, and its virtues, in which we live. and, without a doubt, one of the greatest influences on the virtues of a society will be the dominant religions to which its inhabitants subscribe.

having said that, i do find the question interesting as an individual involved in the creation, enforcement and defense of laws. to see anything other than the law as being 'supreme' in the operationalization of a jurisdiction is an intriguing, and perhaps, unsettling notion.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:36 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Religion. It pretty much encompasses law, but goes above and beyond that. There are many things that are legal that I still won't do based on religion. I can't really think of something that's illegal that I would do because of religion (well, here in a free country at least).
Old 09-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Law. I consider myself a spiritual person, but "religion" to me is a construct made by humans that tries to co-opt the divine into legislating behaviour. Whereas law is generally agreed upon by those governed (in principle anyways).

Old 09-27-2005, 07:22 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Law. I consider myself a spiritual person, but "religion" to me is a construct made by humans that tries to co-opt the divine into legislating behaviour. Whereas law is generally agreed upon by those governed (in principle anyways).
What she said^

Old 09-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

my own free will
Old 09-27-2005, 05:03 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Religion. It pretty much encompasses law, but goes above and beyond that. There are many things that are legal that I still won't do based on religion. I can't really think of something that's illegal that I would do because of religion (well, here in a free country at least).
Old 09-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:16 PM
I just got in and saw this thread. I'm going to say law as well. While I do have religious beliefs (practicing Catholic) law is what I'm judged in right now. My religion teaches me that I'll be judged, too, and that means alot to me, but it's not right now. I'm going to be judged in my religion for my whole life. I'm judged by my actions by the law *right now*. If I drive drunk right now, I'll get busted (and rightfully so, I don't dispute that). I guess I can say that I pay more attention to law right now. That doesn't mean I don't pay attention to the teachings of my religion at all. I'm going to be judged in that, also. But I think law is a more pressing concern for me.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:46 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
My religion holds more authority over my personal conduct. It's much more demanding and strict than law, with more serious consequences, both good and bad.

I uphold the laws of my country, however. As a teacher, I'm sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States, which I personally view as a Divinely inspired, incredible elastic document.

As a postscript, let me add that I would never ever in a million long years assume that others were bound to follow the rules of my religion just because I hold them to higher authority than law. I do, however, expect the citizens of, and visitors to, my country to follow the laws of my country, even if their religion conflicts with the law.
Excellent. I agree completely and this basically sums it up for me. Except that I'm not a teacher.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:00 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

In order:
1. Freedom of your choice of Faith.
2. The Law.
3. "Religion", the human interpretation.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:02 AM   #26
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
How about it, Angela Harlem? Worth another shot?
For sure! You know I'm always up for some longwinded ramble which makes little sense!

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Ultimately, all authority comes from God.
What do you do if your religious perspective clashed with a law? It seems to somehow not happen so much over your way, but from what I can tell, it does here. I have to look more into this, but it's got me wondering.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:19 AM   #27
The Fly

Local Time: 10:16 PM
The question is flawed. Law can be broken down into certain legal and illegal terms within a country with little debate (one cannot say "I believe that is an illegal law, so I will not obey it" without punishment, such as paying taxes), while the moral issues that Religions bring up can be classified as moral/immoral with little repercussions (at least that can be felt in the now...let me know how it turns out when 'you' die).

Law obviously holds more authority over people because it can be inforced by people, unless you live in a country where the Religion is the law.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:04 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Angela Harlem
[B]

For sure! You know I'm always up for some longwinded ramble which makes little sense!

Okay. See new thread.