Religion as a Mental Illness - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2005, 10:34 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
My reaction, exactly.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 11:40 PM
come on... religion is right up there with greed as a source of evil in this world. we'd all be better off without it.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:30 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:40 PM
We'd be better off without ignorance
Old 05-27-2005, 12:22 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Old 05-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
We'd be better off without ignorance

are the two mutually exclusive?

seems to me they often go hand-in-hand.

what we need more of is nuance.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:11 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Uh, yeah..

It is perfectly possible to be delusional about religion and "religious" people when you're anti-religion

That's all I have to say
Old 05-27-2005, 04:48 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Re: Religion as a Mental Illness

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It's also been known too that neurotransmitter levels have often been an indicator of how "religious" someone is. Someone with higher levels of dopamine (which is interpreted in the temporal/frontal lobes) is often "more religious." Likewise, someone with low dopamine and high serotonin is often more likely to be agnostic/atheist.
Melon
Ive been googling and the weeny bit I read indicated that higher levels of dopamine are present in individuals who are thrill seeking. Could it be people with high levels of dopamine like attending religious ceremonies for the natural high from it? I'm thinking about Gospel type Christian churchs. The participants usually look like they are receiving a great deal of enjoyment. (on the tv. I've never actually attended a service.)

Is the higher level of dopamine present in people who are religious, or people who believe in God(s)? I notice you mention people with low dopamine are often more likely to not believe in God(s) etc. What about people who believe in God(s) but are not religious? Or people who don't believe in God(s) but adore a bit of pomp and ceremony?

Is the levels of dopamine associated with beliefs? or practices?

Reading that article it seems to discuss beliefs but I'm in way over my head with this topic so I could have the wrong end of the stick.

Also, is it possible for a person to have high levels of both dopamine and serotonin? And conversely is it possible for a person to have low levels of both dopamine and serotonin?

Apologies for all the questions.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Phenylalanine --> L-Tyrosine --> L-Dopa --> Dopamine --> Norepinephrine --> Epinephrine

Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid. Supplements are available for both phenylalanine and tyrosine. The latter is usually tolerated better (and those with PKU have to take tyrosine supplements to produce dopamine).

<snip for quoting sake>

Melon
PS Thanks Melon. I appreciate the time and effort undertaken to address my question. Thank you.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:28 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Well, in that case, I'm dopamine-heavy. And it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:30 PM   #25
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Uh, yeah..

It is perfectly possible to be delusional about religion and "religious" people when you're anti-religion

That's all I have to say
Ditto
Old 05-27-2005, 11:31 PM   #26
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

are the two mutually exclusive?

seems to me they often go hand-in-hand.

what we need more of is nuance.
Too true.

But I don't know whether I could simply categorize religion under mental illness.

I'm an agnostic. I'd be an atheistic, but....I'm still hoping. There have been times wished that I could have faith; people I know who have faith, simple belief in something larger, seem to have a source of comfort that I've envied at times.

But there's a part of me that wouldn't be surprised if religious experience is fully explicable by science/psychology.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:28 AM   #27
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Interesting site melon. This thread couldn't have been better scripted lol...
Old 05-28-2005, 05:11 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

By "scripted" I guess you mean it's predictable the way people responded to it, that goes both ways though Honestly I feel insulted sometimes here for my religious beliefs, and I don't honestly think I've ever insulted anyone else's beliefs/non-beliefs/ whatever. I make every effort not to do that. But it gets tough to feel insulted and at least not respond in some form or fashion.

Actually I was only replying to one post in the thread not to the thread in general, I assumed that's what NBC was referring to, that one post. I don't want to point out which one it was- I think it's rather obvious.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:26 AM   #29
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:40 AM
No no, sorry Mrs S I didn't mean it like that. On that note though, I am saddened that you do feel offended by others in here, no doubt I have been one to do so at various times as I am probably too outspoken in my own criticisms and state of being offended by religion. If so, I do apologise. You are one of the nicest people when talking about your faith and never do any judging or pulpit lecturing.

But on melon's original post though, I was referring to what I believed was a combination of irony, shit stirring, and perhaps mild sarcasm. Facts aside, or rather, valid opinions, which the article seems to suggest and that others have taken to discussing. Part of which I am sure was melon's intention anyway. I could be entirely wrong on the former even being part of it. I am too cynical. But yeah, as well, we do tend to stick to our replies in a regular way. I know I do as well.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:38 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

The only other thing I want to say is, I don't feel offended at all by people who have legitimate questions and state their opinions in a respectful way. If it gets to me I just avoid it. I'm sure you know what I'm getting at Angela. Certain types of posts however get tiring and can become hurtful, just as much as certain types of posts can for people who have opposing viewpoints. That's all

I'm sure perhaps people who say certain types of things about religion are spoken to in private, but when that's unclear it becomes sort of an issue for me. It can get to the point where it seems to be a bit of a double standard, but maybe I'm wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not insulting pax or any of the other mods who do a good job considering..