Religion and Natural Disasters. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2005, 09:27 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24
Another Christian perspective on the matter:

And as far as the people who did not die but are suffering: just because these people are suffering at the moment doesn't mean that God doesn't love them. After all, the one person that you would think God loved the most - his Son - suffered a great deal. This does not mean that God didn't love his Son, so why would we think that God doesn't love us just because we suffer? Perhaps suffering is a necessary part of life that makes us more grateful for how we normally live. Perhaps without suffering, we would not be able to properly appreciate the many blessings that God has granted us.
Perhaps it is the randomness of the suffering. Or perhaps those that suffer the most already are often the ones affected the most. Why is it that those who have the least are often singled out for these lessons? Often those who have the most are spared those lessons.

Christ suffered for purpose, for a purpose he knew and accepted.
To my thinking, suffering has no purpose, but it is often a testament to the human spirit that it creates purpose out of suffering.

Things sometimes just happen. Sometimes to say "Things happen for a reason" just adds to the grief and the hopelessness. Some people hear those words as comfort; others as adding insult to injury.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:41 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint

Perhaps it is the randomness of the suffering. Or perhaps those that suffer the most already are often the ones affected the most. Why is it that those who have the least are often singled out for these lessons? Often those who have the most are spared those lessons.

Christ suffered for purpose, for a purpose he knew and accepted.
To my thinking, suffering has no purpose, but it is often a testament to the human spirit that it creates purpose out of suffering.

Things sometimes just happen. Sometimes to say "Things happen for a reason" just adds to the grief and the hopelessness. Some people hear those words as comfort; others as adding insult to injury.

great post.

you've summed up, very nicely, the frustration i feel.

i suppose i view suffering as the thing to work to eradicate in the world. i can think of fewer things more unacceptable than suffering. thus, i simply don't see why a loving God -- and if we are to view love as universal, why should God be exempted from our basic expectations of love? i understand the "we cannot know" idea, but at the same time, why would you worship something that (in this view) intentionally causes suffering? don't we tell women to leave husbands who beat them?

this isn't to say, however, that i don't believe in God. i just don't believe in a "plan" -- other than, if we were to get all meta, than the absence of a plan, properly understood, is the "plan."

God's got a lot to answer for. and i don't expect answers, or even demand them, and there might very well be a perfectly good answer to things like this, or the Halocaust, or Rwanda, or mudslides that wipe away 25,000 people. but i do think that we should and we must, then, question why such things happen and be angry (anger can be a good thing, i'd rather someone be angry than submissive).