Religion Abandoned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Nick Cohen is out
I’m sure that any halfway competent political philosopher could rip the assumptions of modern middle-class left-wingery apart. Why is it right to support a free market in sexual relationships but oppose free-market economics, for instance? But his criticisms would have little impact. It’s like a religion: the contradictions are obvious to outsiders but don’t disturb the faithful. You believe when you’re in its warm embrace. Alas, I’m out. Last week, after 44 years of regular church-going, the bell tolled, the book was closed and the candle was extinguished. I was excommunicated ...

The thing to watch for with fellow travellers is what shocks them into pulling the emergency cord and jumping off the train. I know some will stay on to the terminus, and when the man with the rucksack explodes his bomb their dying words will be: ‘It’s not your fault. I blame Tony Blair.’

My advice to my former comrades is to struggle out of your straitjackets and get off at the next station. It would be good to see you on this side of the barrier.
link

What the hell have sexual relations got to do with a free market economy? Oh nevermind, it's all about bashing the left at any cost, right? Hey, just accuse us of all being terrorists while you're at it, ok?

This sounds interesting considering the level of polarity that can exist here on the board.

People get so close to their issues they miss the inconsistencies on macro levels.

Nick Cohen is one of the best journalists currently writing in England, IMO.

On a sidenote, the neo-'conservatives' haven't changed their 'religion'.

They were and still are Trotskyites and not true conservatives.

It's a pity Cohen hasn't realised this yet....

Last edited:
Se7en said:

is there still a big push for permanent revolution?

Remember that quote from a White House insider last year, something along the lines of 'we make up new realities, and other people react to them'?

financeguy said:
On a sidenote, the neo-'conservatives' haven't changed their 'religion'.

They were and still are Trotskyites and not true conservatives.

Haha...right on target. Bush and the PNAC movement that has so influenced his administration are heavily modernist in philosophy. Likewise, both communism and fascism were heavily modernist in nature too, so that's why people are so tempted to be sloppy and call Bush "a Nazi." But he's not a Nazi; he's a modernist.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom