Relgious stance completely offputting in posts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maycocksean said:

He might use different strategies--be kind and gentle with some, logical with others,

(1 Corinthians 9:22-23)

"I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

AEON said:

(1 Corinthians 9:22-23)

"I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

I know it had to happen sooner or later but I just find it ironic that in the very thread where the majority of posters both Christian and non-Christian have expressed their frustration about the use of biblical quotes that one now appears :wink:

hahahahahha! Well it did take 13 pages! LMAO!

Does anyone else think the bible and scripture passages sound so booooooooooring and confusing. Its a wonder that people can actually understand what is being said. I agree with what anititram says about how it must have changed through numerous retellings and translations etc

maycocksean said:
[B
I actually met a guy last year who used that exact terminology.
"You gotta break 'em down," he told me, as he bragged about how he could convert any person. He might use different strategies--be kind and gentle with some, logical with others, and in some cases--the really stubborn ones--he'd have to just nail them with unassailable scripture after unassailable scripture until they collapsed in tears and admitted he was right. (As awful as it sounds, I'm not exaggerating). [/B]

I'm all for tailoring your argument to your audience. I've used all those techniques at one time or another. But that "break 'em down" line is a little scary. His attitude is cynical. The above is different from basic cult technique, how? Or the three card Monte guy? Or ANY con man trying to trick a mark? That's exactly how the above comes across to me, as somebody working a mark.

These guys have quotas or something?

It'd be interesting to see how one or two of his recent converts might react to knowing exactly how they were being manipulated.

(Should there be any confusion, I am referring solely to the situation described in above quote and am not referring to any FYM participant in the least. However, being one of those people with sweet, gullible-looking faces, I was approached by countless cults when I was young and being curious, I let them run their spiel--how they'd question me all lovingly and then tailor their presentation almost exactly to my specifications. I'm a little careful about what I consider cult/conman behavior whatever the source.)

AEON said:

Evangelism is part of your job, please try and remember that before you become too critical of those who genuinely are trying to use the whole arsenal of tools to bring others into the kingdom.

Some can lead by example so well they don't need to ask everyone they meet if they are "born again"...

AEON said:

Evangelism is part of your job, please try and remember that before you become too critical of those who genuinely are trying to use the whole arsenal of tools to bring others into the kingdom.

Arsenal of tools? Do you have any idea just how bullying, manipulative, and quite frankly cultlike the behaviour of the person that maycocksean was describing sounds?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Some can lead by example so well they don't need to ask everyone they meet if they are "born again"...

And people who don't know how to be saved will see that person and say "my my he's such a good person" and that will be all of that.

80sU2isBest said:

And people who don't know how to be saved will see that person and say "my my he's such a good person" and that will be all of that.

NO, they may ask them what makes you so different, they may see it in their lyrics, their works, etc...

You of all people should know the spirit works in many ways...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

NO, they may ask them what makes you so different, they may see it in their lyrics, their works, etc...

You of all people should know the spirit works in many ways...

Some people may ask, and some people won't.

Yes, we are to live a life worthy of the title "Christian". Then, when we tell them about Christ, they will see that we are genuine.

AEON said:

Maycocksean, it certainly sounds like you've run into some "fringe" characters.

I only hope they are not tainting your view of Christianity as a whole. Evangelism is part of your job, please try and remember that before you become too critical of those who genuinely are trying to use the whole arsenal of tools to bring others into the kingdom.

Not so many, actually. :) This guy was quite extreme and I can't say people like him are common, but I see less radicals forms of the same type of attitude.

I will admitt I do have my issues and baggage when it comes to my faith. My dad was physically abusive and unlike most abusers he never lost his temper. Everything with him was cold, rational, "had to be done" to "keep order in the house." He based everything he did on the Bible and the teachings of our church. He was also EXTREMELY chauvinistic. Fortunately, my mom left him when I was seven and I did not grow up around him after that time. Still those early years have made my spiritual experience a difficult one. . .I'm not going to bore you with the details, but suffice it to say that while intellectually I understand that God is love (and not like my dad at all), emotionally, I still have a lot of fear to work through. But, again, I know intellectually that my father does not represent true Christianity and I do try to be aware of that baggage and not let it interfere with my "views on Christianity." It's not easy, of course. After all I still can't bear the hymn "Trust and Obey" (which was a favorite of his. . .especially the obey part. He was real big on obedience).

Regarding, evangelism, I should know it's my job better than most. After all I'm a full time missionary serving overseas. So obviously, I believe in evangelism.

AEON said:

This is true, and I take NO credit of my own. I am just saying, the Holy Spirit had to "break down" a ton of Philosophical barriers in order for me to open my heart.

Exactly. That's the Holy Spirit's job. My issue is when people start feeling the need to His work for Him.

I don't convert anyone. The Holy Spirit does.

What I do. . .the only thing I can do is bear witness. Tell others what I've seen and experienced.

Back
Top Bottom