reclaiming the "C Word" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Well, I understand and respect both POVs on this subject, really. I understand the minority opinion that wishes to "take back" a hurtful word for themselves, and I understand the confusion amongst the majority who have spent most, if not all, of their lives being told that these are bad words that should not be spoken at all.

Melon
I agree.

I have to say, though, that the c word has never bothered me all that much, perhaps because I have never been on the receiving end of it in a truly hateful way. I guess I never related to it as being the equivalent of the n word. I've thought of it as derogatory, yes, but hateful, no. But I do appreciate where the author of the article is coming from.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I'm going to reclaim "beat you like a red-headed step child"
LOL

Old 06-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

do you think that it might be the lack of potential sexual domination (by the male) in the straight girl/gay male relationship makes the word more acceptable? can a gay man denigrate a woman in the same way a straight man can?
Something like that--and my gay male friends would never direct the word towards a woman to her face in a hateful way (well, never say never, but it's hard for me to imagine), they just use it, on very rare occasions, as a simple expression of frustration just as we would say "dick" or "bitch" in private conversation, and honestly it doesn't push my buttons.

I do think a gay man can denigrate a woman in a similar way as a straight man because we all have issues with the opposite gender in some way, or with particular individuals or types of individuals of the opposite sex. But the way in which they denigrate women just doesn't have the element of sexual dominance (unless they're really screwed up, lol).

Old 06-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Well, I understand and respect both POVs on this subject, really. I understand the minority opinion that wishes to "take back" a hurtful word for themselves, and I understand the confusion amongst the majority who have spent most, if not all, of their lives being told that these are bad words that should not be spoken at all.
I am a woman and there is no confusion here for me. I just don't see this as a particularly important issue for women.

Women are still making less money on average than men. We have groups who would like to restrict contraception and other reproductive rights for us. We are still battered and raped by men in shocking numbers. We are still poorer than men, more of us are on the various social assistance plans and raising children on our own.

There are 1000 issues women face today and the "C" word ranks somewhere around 977 for me. But maybe I'm an exception, who knows.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

There are 1000 issues women face today and the "C" word ranks somewhere around 977 for me. But maybe I'm an exception, who knows.
I feel much the same way.

But I do agree with melon that some words are just ingrained in people as being "bad" and I respect that they really are trying to be respectful in not using them. But for me some words are just so bad that I just have to say them sometimes, lol.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #20
Refugee

"Cunt" has already been 'detoxed' or 'reclaimed' in much of Britain. One hears it on TV there, much to my surprise. It is usually used as an insult from one guy to another, not against women, however.

I remember when 'horny', 'bastard' and 'condom' were taboo. No longer, which is an overall positive (please construct a sentence using all three words).

I admire Ensler's efforts, though she has a long way to go.

Freeing up our wonderful language is a good thing, but only the mass media can effect such a huge change as taking the sting out such intrinsically harmless words as 'cunt', 'nigger', 'motherfucker' and 'Red Sox fan'.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:51 AM
Quote:

I am a woman and there is no confusion here for me. I just don't see this as a particularly important issue for women.

Women are still making less money on average than men. We have groups who would like to restrict contraception and other reproductive rights for us. We are still battered and raped by men in shocking numbers. We are still poorer than men, more of us are on the various social assistance plans and raising children on our own.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:24 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 4U2Play

Freeing up our wonderful language is a good thing, but only the mass media can effect such a huge change as taking the sting out such intrinsically harmless words as 'cunt', 'nigger', 'motherfucker' and 'Red Sox fan'.
Well then by this list of words aren't you saying there are no words that are harmful?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:47 PM   #23
Refugee

Key word: "intrinsically"

If you utter those words in Borneo, hardly anyone there will be offended by them.

Because they are given some sort of "meaning" and symbolism (Chomsky) here in the US, they are judged differently.

Some people consider them harmful, some don't. I'm on the side of rendering harmless as many English words as possible. This will lessen the power of those who hate.

Derrida wrote a whole book on this subject called, "Of Grammatology", which explains the effect of deconstruction on previously rigidly defined texts, opening them up to several different meanings and interpretations, causing instability in how words and phrases are defined.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:13 AM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

If you utter those words in Borneo, hardly anyone there will be offended by them.

But there are words there that are considered offensive there that won't be considered here...

History and language will always go hand in hand in determining the reason and need for such words. SOME will suffer due to PC, but there are some that need to be omitted or used.

A word like 'nigger' holds no value. The violence behind that word will never be removed no matter how much "they take it back".
Old 06-15-2006, 12:17 AM   #25
Refugee

Says who? You?

The FCC bans certain words on its airwaves, many of which are used on a daily basis by a large percentage of the US populace. How did they choose those words, and not others?

Where is the "violence" behind the word 'cunt'?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:28 AM   #26
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:51 PM
Quote:

you cant be serious.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:34 AM   #27
Refugee

...as a heart attack.

Have you ever seen "The Vagina Monologues" when the Ensler character has everyone stand up and yell "CUNT!" ?

Did you freak out and act offended, or did you try to understand what she was trying to do?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:36 AM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Says who? You?

The FCC bans certain words on its airwaves, many of which are used on a daily basis by a large percentage of the US populace. How did they choose those words, and not others?

What does FCC have to do with this? No one even mentioned the FCC.

Quote:
A word like 'nigger' holds no value. The violence behind that word will never be removed no matter how much "they take it back".
Too bad you couldn't defend this word in you list...
Old 06-15-2006, 12:39 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Quote:

I agree. I find it mighty hard to get upset about this.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:49 AM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
What does FCC have to do with this? No one even mentioned the FCC.
I did. Sorry you couldn't understand what I meant by that statement and question, maybe others here will figure it out.

Quote:
Too bad you couldn't defend this word in you list...

Don't feel bad... that's called sticking to the subject, which is about reclaiming the 'c' word, not treatises on the defense of 'nigger'. Nice attempt, though.